PDA

View Full Version : Advice on latch and small raised panel doors

Jack Hutchinson
03-21-2008, 8:36 AM
With advice from SMC I'm working out the details of a service medal display case for my WW II vet father.

He wants it covered - and the layout he prefers will make the box about 14" wide and 12" high.

I've run into a couple of questions I'm hoping to get some help with from this forum.

I'm thinking of making a pair of raised panel doors - each about 6" x 10". They'd be set inside the frame. Very close behind them is a pane of glass protecting the medals.

I can make one door overlap the other - maybe complementary ogees on the two. But how can I hold the overlapping door closed. Need not be locked, just not swinging freely - so when you close it it stays closed. I anticipate only a narrow (1/4") ledge the doors close against. Some kind of toggle at the top edge? Is there a clean way to do that?

Also - for raised panel doors that small - any advice on bits to cut the stiles, rails and panels? Freud makes a mini set - is that a good way to go? Whiteside also has a set.

Thanks - I'm mostly a reader of this forum, but learn a lot and greatly appreciate the friendliness and support that members show one another.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-21-2008, 8:45 AM
get a White Chapel Catalog. They have some really nice stuff in there and they are really nice people to deal with.

I'm making a little cabinet with little doors with stiles a little larger than an inch wide. I cheated. I just dadoed the ends (rabbit) and half lapped 'em.

Jamie Buxton
03-21-2008, 11:42 AM
A traditional solution is a bullet catch. You can find them in most woodworking catalogs. However, I find them to be a little touchy to install and use. I much prefer magnets. You can buy disc-shaped magnets in most woodworking catalogs -- Lee Valley is a good source. You can drill a hole and glue them in, or I like to bury them underneath a thin wood plug, so they're completely hidden. Or you can choose to hide one side but not the other.

Jack Hutchinson
03-21-2008, 1:35 PM
White Chapel is perfect - several excellent choices there for all the hardware.

And magnets might be perfect for a latch.

Does someone have a recommendation of a vendor for a brass nameplate? Would have his name, his unit, theater, years of service. Will be mounted on the frame.

Sam Yerardi
03-21-2008, 2:18 PM
Try a local jeweler

Dell Littlefield
03-21-2008, 5:37 PM
Or trophy shop

Kevin Newman
03-21-2008, 6:15 PM
Dont know if they will work in your situation, but You might consider spring loaded hinges. No magnets required. In a demountable hinge, the doors will stay open until you get the door almost closed, then the spring holds them shut.