PDA

View Full Version : First All-Purpose Router Advice

zayd alle
03-21-2008, 7:49 AM
Good morning, all.

As I assemble my beginner's workshop, I'd like to buy a router to be used for all routing operations: by hand and mounted in a TS wing. From my research thus far, it seems the Porter Cable 690LR is a good starting point and a widely-used router. I seem to have found a good deal online for a new 690LR at $96 shipped (fixed base only). The variable-speed 690LRVS is going for $135 shipped (also fixed base only).

My question: for an all-purpose router, is variable speed important? And is it smarter to jump on this deal and buy a plunge base later or is that not cost effective?

Thanks so much for your guidance.

Zayd

Michael Gibbons
03-21-2008, 8:19 AM
Zayd, I'd spend the extra cash and get the PC 890 series router kit with fixed and plunge base. It has VS and more hp and could be used in a table with larger raised panel bits. Yes, the variable speed is important when using larger diameter bits. The speed must be slowed down to prevent burning your workpiece. And since the larger bit has more cutting edge in contact with the wood, extra hp is a big help keeping the speed constant. It is cheaper to buy a kit-I know from experience.

Adam Cavaliere
03-21-2008, 8:42 AM
I'd have to agree with Michael. When I purchased my first router it was the 890 series. I did some research on the routers available and it seemed like the best choice.

While you are at it, I'd recommend picking this book up:
http://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Router-UpdatedProfessional-Techniques-Woodworker/dp/0762108002/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206103305&sr=1-1

It taught me a lot about routers and also has a couple of good examples of router tables. Some are very simple to build.

JayStPeter
03-21-2008, 8:45 AM
One of the fixed/plunge kits will be a lot more flexible into the future. But, I started out with a cheap fixed base router and it did OK for me for a while. If it comes down to it, I'd rather be making dust with a lesser router than not have one. The PC690 is a lot better router than I started with and will last a good long time. At half the price of a kit, it might not be a bad deal. You will eventually want a plunge router or base. I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it, how sure you are about WWing as a hobby, and how much budget you're willing to put toward it. When you're starting out you have to balance getting the tools you want and need with getting quality tools that will last. It's not easy. If your budget for a router is $100, I think you've made a good choice.

Jay

Jim Becker
03-21-2008, 9:20 AM
Yes, VS is important, IMHO, for any multi-purpose router. IMHO, the best value for a "first" (or only) router setup is a 13amp VS machine with multiple bases. It will cover all situations outside of swinging very large panel cutters in a table, and it can even do that if you take extra care and very light cuts.

My favorite "kit" is the Dewalt DW618, but the PC890 series, the Makita, the Bosch, etc. are also good options.

J. Z. Guest
03-21-2008, 9:24 AM
zayd - I went with the basic fixed base DeWalt in favor of the PC 690 because the depth is changed without having to rotate the motor in the base. Mine's a single speed. If I had the money, I would've bought the variable speed. Not because I turn 3" panel raising bits, but because anything more than an inch diameter starts to burn at 25,000 RPM. But that variable speed option cost like $70 extra for DeWalt. I also liked the sealed toggle switch on the DeWalt better than the cheesy (also sealed) rocker switch on the newer PC 690s.

I'm taking the modular approach. I bought the DeWalt DW616 with fixed base, less than $100 shipped.

Recently, I bought the router speed control from www.mlcswoodworking.com (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com) for $40. Now, I've got variable speed, and a power switch accessible from the outside of my router table.

Later, I will get the plunge base that also fits with this motor. If I need to, I can get another motor, probably a VS for the plunge. I'm a big fan of DeWalt's dust extraction with their plunge base routers. (I had a DW621 before with the shop vac attachment, and it was brilliant)

If you have the money, you should get the variable speed DeWalt or Porter*Cable multi-base kits. If not, you can build it up slowly and as needs require. You can do a LOT without variable speed.

Peter Quinn
03-21-2008, 9:46 AM
Ditto previous posts. The pc 690 is a solid tool worth that price anyday. For edge forming with small to medium profiles and dado/rabit work this router excells. Its low center of gravity and compact size make it a pleasure to use freehand. We had several at my last job, but we probably had 15 Routers and 7 shapers total, so it wasn't the only horse in the stable.

If this is to be your only router it may become a serious restriction as you grow. The fixed speed and 11A motor will limit the size of cutters you can spin, and it won't be the most flexible tool in a table either. You don't want to spin a big bit at 27,000 RPM. Don't under estimate the usefulness of a plunge router either, I use mine more than the fixed base freehand (for mortises and stopped cuts).

If you buy this router you could buy an aftermarket speed control for use in a table, but that wont give you the amps you need for bigger bits. This tool is a favorite amoung carpenters I know who use it for the kind of work for which it was primarily designed. The combo kits are the best deal going, and IMHO the 2 1/4HP EVS soft start motors give you the best platform if you have only one router.

I would consider the 690 complete as is...it does what it does very well. Adding a plunge base won't help with the fixed speed and limited amps. If your budget allows a bigger combo kit I'd go that way as they will take you farther in fine woodworking than the 690 alone. You could certainly buy the 690 as a first router, learn the basics of its use and save for a kit down the road. You will probably never kill it, it will always have uses, but it won't give you the full range router functionality.

Scott Vigder
03-21-2008, 9:52 AM
If you are going to use the 1/2" and 1/4" collets on the same router, variable speed is extremely important as you'll use the higher speeds for the smaller bits and slower speeds for the larger bits.

While I also have the PC 890 fixed/plunge kit, if your budget does not allow for a combo base kit I would recommend a plunge base as it can act as a fixed base, but a fixed base does not easily act like a plunge base.

Finally, since you intend to use it in a router table, you'll want to check the availability of under-table adjustment accessories. I have a Hitachi M12V permanently stationed in my router tables, and I bought a $20 extension that allows for super easy under-base height adjustments.

Good luck with your purchase.

scott spencer
03-21-2008, 10:28 AM
$96 for the 690LR is a decent, but not great price, so it's not worth jumping on until you're certain it's the best choice for you. With what you describe, it sounds like combo kit with a fixed and plunge base may be in order if you really only want one router. There are excellent combos from several top companies. The new Milwaukee is of particular interest to me, but I'd also check out the best deals on a Bosch (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1206110497&sr=1-1), Makita (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-RF1101KIT2-Variable-Plunge-Router/dp/B0002HC4IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1206110595&sr=1-1), DeWalt, PC, Freud, Hitachi, or Ridgid kit. The Craftsman kit might be fine too, but I don't know. The Hitachi goes on sale below $120 occasionally, most run closer to the $200 range on sale. Buying the components separately is typically the most expensive route. Also, the 690 isn't as powerful as some of the 2hp kits. More power is better for table use, which is also where the VS comes in handy.

I like the Milwaukee kit because the BodyGrip design is very comfortable for handuse, the plunger is excellent, and it's a good table router with convenient features. The Freud FT1700 (http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT1702VCEK-Variable-Speed-Router/dp/B000REMAJI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1206110332&sr=1-2) kit has excellent above table features like above table bit changes.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510HsVZEhGL._SS500_.jpg

You will likely want two routers eventually...most of us head that way. Getting two routers is usually more expensive, but not always alot more than a combo kit. If you were to find a deal on something like the PC690 for < $100, and a Hitachi or Freud 3hp plunge router for < $130 (not that hard to do), I'd be inclined to go that route as opposed to $200 on a kit with one router. You don't necessarily have to buy them at the same time either...

Randal Stevenson
03-21-2008, 10:29 AM
While that is a good solid router, what all do you want to do with it?
Larger bits? Then you will either need vs or a speed controler for this one.
People got by for decades, before a plunge router, but it does make it easier.
Pat Warner recommends, if you go with one router, you get the DeWalt 621 series (plunge, multispeed).
Others like the Trition 2 1/2 HP.

Then there are the kits that get high recommendations all the time.
Bosch 1617ev(various letters by kit), DeWalt 618 (616 is the single speed), Freud 1700 (now a kit).

With any of these, with no sale, your looking at twice your price. However, no matter which way you go, your apt to end up with more then one router.

Rob Will
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Zayd,
Welcome to the Creek!
I would suggest you look at a router with the on/off switch mounted in one of the hand grips. It has never made sense to me how routers with top-mounted switches require you to remove your hand from the grip to turn it on.

Buy whatever feels comfortable in your hand.

Rob

Tom Esh
03-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Good morning, all.

As I assemble my beginner's workshop, I'd like to buy a router to be used for all routing operations: by hand and mounted in a TS wing. From my research thus far, it seems the Porter Cable 690LR is a good starting point and a widely-used router. I seem to have found a good deal online for a new 690LR at $96 shipped (fixed base only). The variable-speed 690LRVS is going for $135 shipped (also fixed base only).

My question: for an all-purpose router, is variable speed important? And is it smarter to jump on this deal and buy a plunge base later or is that not cost effective?

Zayd

If you can swing it, definitely go var speed. I've found there are very few times I actually need full speed. Aside from the issue with larger bits, VS allows me to have better control simply because I can feed the work or router at the rate I'm comfortable with. Reducing the speed also means less noise and less wear on the machine. FWIW routers with integral speed control work much better than plugging a fixed speed router into one of those aftermarket speed controls. The integral units actually incorporate electronics to sense and maintain the speed. The plug-ins simply reduce available power to the router, and at reduced power it will readily bog down under load.
If possible get an additional fixed or plunge base for your router. Otherwise I suspect you'll quickly find mounting / dismounting it from the table to be a major source of annoyance. (One of many reasons that if you stay with this WW thing long enough you'll probably end up with a router collection.:))

Tom Esh
03-21-2008, 11:45 AM
...I like the Milwaukee kit because the BodyGrip design is very comfortable for handuse...

Sure seems nice and MW quality is legendary. I'd buy it in a minute but I keep waiting for them to do something (anything) about dust collection on the fixed base. Even a couple of cheap plastic chip guards with a vac port (ala Craftsman) would be better than nothing.

Brad Townsend
03-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Another vote for the Dewalt 618 combo - preferably the three base one. I only have the fixed and plunge bases with mine and often wish I had the D-handle one as well. I also have the PC 890 combo, but prefer the 618 for hand routing, as it has a lower center of gravity and feels better balanced to me. Just a personal preference.

Joe Vincent
03-21-2008, 1:29 PM
Another vote for the Dewalt 618 combo - preferably the three base one. I only have the fixed and plunge bases with mine and often wish I had the D-handle one as well. I also have the PC 890 combo, but prefer the 618 for hand routing, as it has a lower center of gravity and feels better balanced to me. Just a personal preference.

Bingo. For a multipurpose router, I think the 2.25 horsepower versions are not too big for most handheld operations and not too small for a wide variety of operations in a table. There are a number of 2.25 horsepower router kits that have fixed and plunge bases that are comparable (DeWalt 618, Bosch 1617, Milwaukee, Freud 1700). However, I recommend you go the extra mile and get the DeWalt kit that includes 3 bases: fixed, plunge, and D handle (which is also fixed). The D handle is great and has the power switch right on the handle. Great control. You'd have the plunge base for when you need that. And go ahead and mount the standard fixed base in a table because you won't need it for hand routing as you'll be using the D handle. That's pretty versatile and the 618 is a great router.

Scott D Johnson
03-21-2008, 1:49 PM
My first router set was the Porter Cable 890 series. Fixed and plunge base. I really have learned a lot with that combo. If I had to "do it over again". I might opt for the Triton (which is plunge only based). I think you can get them on sale for around $180.

Joe Castellano
03-21-2008, 4:01 PM
I have the Bosch 1617EVS combination. It it 2.25hp. I bought an extra motor housing for the router table.

Thomas Williams
03-21-2008, 4:18 PM
If I were going to only have one router :( it would be the DeWalt 621. It meets the requirements of a solo router. It has plenty of power, is variable speed, built in dust collection, hand grip switch, is a plunge router and not too heavy for hand held use.

Dan Lautner
03-21-2008, 6:25 PM
Fine Woodworking just did a test and liked the Bosch the best of the combos. I have the Bosch combo and like it. You will also want to get the Colt or a small router for light edge work or trim work.

Dan

John Thompson
03-21-2008, 6:34 PM
I sold my Bosch kit (which is good.. but not great IMO) and a DW 621 and got the Milwaukee 2 1/4 HP Combo with Body Grip on the fixed base. I have a Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP under my router talbe.

Do I regret selling the Bosch and DW 621?... Good routers but the Milwaukee is the best router I ever used over 36 years period.. And of course that's my opinion.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Dave MacArthur
03-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I highly recommend reading Pat Warner's router website.
http://www.patwarner.com
IMO he is extremely knowledgeable and honest, and he has numerous pages such as "what is the best SINGLE router for me to buy, if I can just get one?" etc...
He recommends the dewalt combo.

Eric Larsen
03-22-2008, 12:43 AM

Zayd

I think VS is very important.

I think "how the tool feels in your hands" is even more important. Go grab some routers. Hold on to them. Spin them up in the store and see how they feel in your hands while running.

I bought a (very popular) router because it had the power and features I needed. More importantly, I picked it up and said, "Yeah, this is the one."

Alison Gray
03-22-2008, 12:49 AM
I went with the Triton 2 1/2 HP because I can attach it to table without lift assist and adjust bit easily as well as use it as a hand router. Got great review in Fine Woodworking. Less than $200, and no regrets.

zayd alle
03-22-2008, 1:36 AM
Wow, incredible information from all of you... thanks so much!

Dave -- thanks for the Pat Warner link... great info on his site.

You've all convinced me to go for the extra power, as this will be an all-purpose router (for now :). I'm also going to take your advice and see how each machine feels in my hands.

I'll certainly keep everyone posted -- thanks again!

Zayd

Tom Esh
03-22-2008, 9:32 AM
If I were going to only have one router :( it would be the DeWalt 621. It meets the requirements of a solo router. It has plenty of power, is variable speed, built in dust collection, hand grip switch, is a plunge router and not too heavy for hand held use.

It really is a gem. I just got mine last week based on Pat Warner's review and other Creekers' recommendations. It's a pleasure to use, especially with Pat's offset base. Smooth as silk and accurate too.

glenn bradley
03-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Don't you have to spin the motor to adjust the height on a PC690 (890 too I think)? I would find that a bit troublesome for table use. the 690 is a great little workhorse and has remained little changed for something like 40 years. A great example of don't fix it if it ain't broke.

The common saying is that if you can only have one router, get a plunge. I believe this saying predates the common use of router tables as swapping motors is a lot easier than taking a router in and out of a table.

Routers are like some other tools, they seem to gather. I've got a half dozen some folks have more, many have less. A good combo kit will replace a few less flexible units. If I was starting over I would get the Milwaukee 5616-24, use the fixed base in the table and the plunge base for everything else (about $200). However, the 690 is a lot nicer router than I started out with (although I still run that 30 year old little guy).

I guess in a nutshell I would expect the 690 will serve you well and quickly be added to. If you want to spend a little less that the 690 plus whatever you get to augment it, buy a kit first. There are many good ones. Here's a good review although it is a little dated: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=24090
and some more info: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/subscription/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=28714

Curt Harms
03-22-2008, 4:37 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this--The 690 fixed base is a great router. The plunge base for the 690 is-uhhh-less well regarded. The 693 base is reputed to be too stiff to plunge smoothly and tends to bind. I have the P-C 890 fixed base with the handle/dust collector and just got the plunge base for it. The plunge base seems to be the same as the DeWalt kits but machined to fit the Porter-Cable motor. The dust collection with the "grip vac" handle is pretty good on the fixed base and the newer plunge base has through-the-column dust collection same as the DeWalt plungers. The built in dust collection works best when the entire hole in the base is covered. I haven't had much luck with integral dust collection when doing edge work.

Having said all that, I use a Freud FT2000E in a table 90% of the time probably because I don't do many large projects. The best advice is to handle as many different models as you can and pick the one that feels best. Good luck and have fun:)

Curt

Wayne Cannon
03-24-2008, 2:32 AM
If you are going to consider use in a router table, you should consider the following:
== an opening in the base large enough to clear the largest bit you expect to use, such as a raised-panel bit. 3 1/2" is a pretty good target.
== the ability to extend the collet through the router base (and further) is helpful, otherwise you may have difficulty getting the height setting you desire when you add in the thickness of the table/plate and possibly the 1/4" to 1/2" thickness of a jig base.
== variable speed is important for any large diameter bits.

Having said that, I regularly use the DeWalt 618/619 and the PC 890 combos for hand-held use, but prefer the PC 7518 under the table -- primarily for the above reasons. I would also consider the Bosch combo.

Don Eddard
03-24-2008, 3:20 AM
My first "good" router was PC 690 kit with fixed and plunge bases. I don't remember for sure but I think I paid about $120 on sale at Lowes. I used it in the RT for roundovers and rabbets, and in the plunge base for handheld use. I never needed to swing any bit bits, so it was plenty powerful and the VS was not missed. I eventually got a Hitachi MV12 and a Router Raizer for the RT, but I still haven't needed to spin anything big. I have no regrets about buying the PC.

If all you can afford is a 690, it's a good router that'll be around for a long time. And it beats having no router at all. If you can swing more money, the bigger kits like the DeWalt 621 are still more versatile.

matt dumney
03-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I've been watching this post with great interest. I too am in need of router that will have the primary purpose of being mounted in a table. Considering the MW 3hp or Triton.

One thing that hasn't come up in this discussion...that I've seen...is the question of sound levels. Are all routers super loud...are some more quiet than others? Currently, I have a PC100 and it just screams. It's too loud to deal with even with muffs on. I was at a store recently and someone was demo'ing a bosch router and it seemed quiet.

Thoughts on this?

scott spencer
03-25-2008, 9:52 AM
I've been watching this post with great interest. I too am in need of router that will have the primary purpose of being mounted in a table. Considering the MW 3hp or Triton.

One thing that hasn't come up in this discussion...that I've seen...is the question of sound levels. Are all routers super loud...are some more quiet than others? Currently, I have a PC100 and it just screams. It's too loud to deal with even with muffs on. I was at a store recently and someone was demo'ing a bosch router and it seemed quiet.

Thoughts on this?

The routers I've used are all loud enough that you'll want to wear hearing protection, but I've never owned one that was signicantly louder than others. I've also never been bothered by the noise when wearing protection. The cutter on the wood makes a fair amount of noise no matter what, and that's a variable. Craftsman, Freud FT2000/FT1700, Bosch 1617/1619, Makita 3612?, Milwaukees 5615/5625.

Jim Becker
03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Matt, my Festool routers are the quietest I've found, but I'd still not use them without hearing protection, even for a few seconds. All of them are "quieter" at slower speed settings, but the sound of the cut, itself, adds to the mix, too.

Wayne Cannon
03-28-2008, 4:46 AM
If your application is in a table, I don't think you can beat the PC 7518, despite its age. Its large base opening and significant collet height available beyond the base are key factors. I would not recommend it for general purpose use, however, because it's just too big.

As I mentioned in a couple of other threads, the Triton has some nice features for table applications. I just don't have enough time on mine yet to really comment on anything other than its "features", i.e., anything related to usability.

Quesne Ouaques
03-28-2008, 8:45 AM
Good morning, all.

I would highly recommend getting a variable speed router. I find I change speeds quite frequently to give me a better quality cut on different wood/bit combinations. By the way, one other feature which I personally think is critical for hand-held routing is a built-in work light.

I have the Triton 2 1/4 HP which is a very nice router, especially for parking under-the-table. Due to the surprising lack of a work light, I find the Triton annoying for much of the hand-held work I do.

I also have one of the lower priced Craftsman combinations (17543 - fixed and plunge base; link below) which I think is a fabulous value for the price. I leave the fixed base in my second router table for when I might need it, and I can swap the motor with the plunge-base to rout by hand.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917543000P?vName=Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sName=Routers+%26+Laminate+Trimmers

Bond Turner
03-28-2008, 8:54 AM
Hello, I thought I would offer my two cents. I purchased the Triton and had some warranty problems and had a heck of a time getting it serviced. I had to send it to NY and wait 4 weeks to get it back.

I had the newer PC plunge and had several problems with it. All covered under warranty, but still a hassle. I still have it, but have dedicated it to a bit and don't use it that often.

For the last year and a half I have had the new Milwaukee plunge/fixed base kit, and it was the best purchase I have made in a long time. Excellent power, very smoothe and easy to handle, especially with the bodygrip on the fixed base. The plunge is also always smoothe operating, never binds like the PC does. Also it has a 5 year warranty, made in the USA and there are several local service centers in town...perfect tool to me. IMHO you cannot go wrong with the Milwaukee.