PDA

View Full Version : Long overdue shop organization FINALLY started

Grant Davis
03-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Back in November I took the plunge and bought a house. I was so excited to finally get moved in and use the 2 car garage for my dedicted shop and set it up the way I wanted it. Well the house has been great except for a few things that needed my attention when I first moved in. Just after I moved in there was a big surprise at work and one of my coworkers got the ax and yours truly was given the task of doing my job and suddenly his. Fast forward almost four months and they finally found a replacement to do my old job and I finally don't have to work the long hours that had been consuming my life.

I had already decided that while having a nice long 3 day weekend this weekend that I would jump start my shop and get things in motion. So here in lies the makings of my first attempt at getting it all started. The first three pictures of the shop show just what a mess everything is in.

Believe it or not under all of this stuff and in my basement there are some quite useful woodworking tools. My collection consists of the following.

BT3100 NIB sold and will be shipping to Mark in Texas on Monday
Jet JWTS-10 contractors saw and a NIB Biesmeyer fence and cast iron wings to be installed at a later date
Jet JJ-6CS jointer
Delta 50-760 dust collector
2 - Hitachi M12V routers
Triton TRA001 router
Ryobi OSS500 oscilating spindle sander
Ryobi DP120 bench top drill press
Jet JBM-5 bench top mortiser
Jet JML1014VS mini lathe
Delta 31-250 wide belt sander
Delta 31-120 12" disc sander
Delta BS100 bench top bandsaw (soon to be replaced by a Grizzly G0555)
Dewalt DW733 lunch box planer
Dewalt DW715 compound miter saw
Craftsman air compressor
Craftsman 6" VS bench grinder

I was really looking forward to getting off of work this afternoon so my quest could begin. Much to my surprise my boss came to my office about 3 this afternoon and gave me the boot for an early start on the weekend. Let's just say he did not have to tell me twice as I knew what I wanted to accomplish this weekend. It was off to the garage, I mean shop to start my project.

A little about the garage. As you can see from the pictures there are extension cords feeding the garage door openers because there is only one electric receptical in the place. That will be rectified over time as you can imagine. I have a pretty good idea as to how I want to lay out my shop so I figured the first place to start was the wall where I wanted to put my Triton WRA001 wood racks. I found the studs in the wall, hung the racks and stuffed it with the wood I have. On top is some construcion lumber (2x4 and 2x6's), walnut, spalted maple, curly maple, soft maple and oak.

More to come as I still have a full three days to go. Wish me luck.

Dewey Torres
03-21-2008, 12:38 AM
I think you forgot to post the pics you refer to :(
Dewey

Grant Davis
03-21-2008, 12:46 AM
I think you forgot to post the pics you refer to :(
Dewey

Sorry Dewey, the pics never went thru. Should be there now.

Dewey Torres
03-21-2008, 1:33 AM
In my shop I did something similar with the wood rack. Since you will find the main challenge below a wood rack to be (you have to put something under it that the rack itself does not interfere with), below is what I went with... maybe it will give you some ideas. Notice the electrical outlets every 4 ft... KEY!!! Also plan where you might need 20 amp ckts and 220v outlet for your saw/other heavy stuff. Post more pics as the shop progresses and PM me is you desire.
Good Luck :)
Dewey