PDA

View Full Version : OT My computers won't network......

Chuck Wintle
03-22-2004, 7:17 AM
Tried all weekend to network my two computers(both using Win 2000) using the LAN connections. With the crossover cable connected both computers recognize the network connection but I could not access either computer from the other one. I must have played with every setting I could find/think of and no luck. I have missed something but no idea what.
thanks

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 8:44 AM
Make sure both are using the same "workgroup/domain" name and try having the same accounts/passwords on each. Win2K and WinXP really enforce security and authentication most, if not all the time. You also need to have file and print sharing turned on and set up "shares" for resources you want each machine to see.

Bob Aquino
03-23-2004, 3:36 PM
Charles
For the two computers to see each other, they both have to have the right clients, services and protocols installed. I would suggest that you have both computers confgured with the same group of settings:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer sharing for MS networks.
TCP/IP protocol.
Make sure that the workgroup for both computers is the same (leave it with "workgroup", thats been done before...)
Make sure that the parameters for TCP/IP are the same except for the IP address. If you are using one computer to access the web using either a dial up or cable modem, you can use the other to access the web through the first machine. You would need some sort of "Non-routable" ip address on both machines, say 169.10.1.x and make sure both machines have different last numbers, say 4 and 5. Make sure they have the subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0. One of the settings on the properties sheet of the computer that accesses the web should have a setting allowing you to share the connection.

Here is a link to the MS knowledgebase for shareing a connection in XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306126. It should point out some of what I am trying to get across. You can also try searching beyond that in the KB if this doesn't answer your questions.

Tried all weekend to network my two computers(both using Win 2000) using the LAN connections. With the crossover cable connected both computers recognize the network connection but I could not access either computer from the other one. I must have played with every setting I could find/think of and no luck. I have missed something but no idea what.
thanks