PDA

View Full Version : engraveable charms....

Lisa Matthews
03-20-2008, 10:21 PM
We were approached by a jeweler today to do personalized charms for them. I need to know where to order engraveable charms...preferrably that we don't have to use cermark on. If that is not possible...then where is a good place to order them and then use cermark?

We are gaining....and getting several orders. I will try to post some pictures next week on what we have done so far.

Thanks!

Lisa

Joe Pelonio
03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
There are some available at Johnson Plastics, check their catalog or website.

Joe Chritz
03-21-2008, 6:12 AM
Laserbits still has onyx stone charms. Never used any since they are a bit pricey but they look promising.

Joe

Lisa Matthews
03-21-2008, 6:59 AM
Joe and Joe,

Thanks so much! I'll check out both places today! This place is great!

Lisa

Lisa Matthews
03-21-2008, 8:43 PM
I checked both the above sources and these are still not what I really need to find. One has the Italian charms...which I may get into eventually, but not right now. The other has the black onyx....which, I might add is beautiful, and I will probably use at some point, but is not what I am in the market for right now.

What I need is goldtone and silvertone charms: oval, round, heart shaped, rectangular, square. Any ideas for those, that I can for sure engrave on with a 45 watt epilog CO2 laser? With or without cermark would be considered. I have read where gold and silver will not work....so they would need to be plated???

Thanks for any help you can give
Lisa

Mike Null
03-21-2008, 9:22 PM
Lisa

I suggest you do a search of the older threads for the information you're looking for. I think you may be in for a difficult time.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67031&highlight=cermark+gold

Lisa Matthews
03-21-2008, 9:27 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the reply! I was afraid of that. I have done a search and have learned that I won't be able to do silver or gold....was hoping to find an alternate material. I'm racking my brain for possible solutions, and am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

There has to be something that will make nice charms, than can be personalized and have a photo added......just gonna take more brain power than I am equipped with right now! LOL

Lisa

Mike Null
03-21-2008, 9:35 PM
Have you searched for stainless steel and some kind of gold tone steel? They can be marked well with Cermark.

You may want to contact the makers of Cermark to see if they can help you with materials/suppliers.

http://www.ferro.com/Our+Products/Glass/Products+and+Markets/CerMark/Materials/Laser+Marking+on+Metal.htm

Lisa Matthews
03-21-2008, 9:42 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that!

Lisa

I fired them off an email....hopefully they will be able to help me out!

Jack Harper
03-22-2008, 9:37 AM
Try vytekdirect.com

Belinda Barfield
03-23-2008, 8:55 AM
Lisa,

Try www.halsteadbead.com (http://www.halsteadbead.com). They have a number of blank charms in silver and pewter. I don't know if Cermark would work with the pewter, maybe another member could provide some insight on this. Good luck!

George M. Perzel
03-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi Lisa;
I don't want to burst your bubble or quell your enthusiasm, but I think you will find that charms are not a very profitable venture- unless you have an order for 20 of the same kind- which rarely happens.
Too much personalization setup time, not to mention the Cermak ritual-which doesn't work too well on gold or silver or plated-need steel as Mike suggested.
But I do wish you well.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts