PDA

View Full Version : Laminating beams

Lyle H. Fall
03-20-2008, 9:14 PM
Hello I need some help want to build a small walkway bridge in a arch want to laminate some 2x4 together would be exterior
what glue would be good to use I have look at some and are real costly and don't cover much I just wondered what you would have for any
suggestions
Thanks

Matt Ocel
03-20-2008, 9:17 PM
Lyle - sounds like fun, how long will the walkawy be?

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Hello I need some help want to build a small walkway bridge in a arch want to laminate some 2x4 together would be exterior
what glue would be good to use I have look at some and are real costly and don't cover much I just wondered what you would have for any
suggestions
Thanks

If money is the issue try Titebond III.
It's plenty strong. Doesn't come out of my cloths in the wash.

If you want to see how strong glue a couple pieces of the lumber in question together and put it in a pot to boil for a few hours. That's part of how they tested Resourcinol to see if it was a good marine glue.

David DeCristoforo
03-20-2008, 10:16 PM
"...what glue would be good to use..."

Presuming that you have the capability to engineer and glue up a gluelam, resorcinol would be my adhesive of choice for a project like this.

YM

Brian Effinger
03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
You might want to give a glulam manufacturer a call and ask them what kind of glue they use. I believe Georgia Pacific makes glulams, as well as several others - just Google it. You might also find this information on their website. Look under "Technical Data" or read through their specifications - it would be under the Products section.

Tim Sgrazzutti
03-21-2008, 7:29 AM
PL premium construction adhesive from the BORG works great for outdoor stuff.