PDA

View Full Version : shopmade tormek planer knife jig

Mitch Richardson
03-20-2008, 9:11 PM
The jig was made to sharpen planer blades up to 20 inches. Could be made to do any size. Used aluminum track from lowes and ipe for the runners, they have to have zero play. I have about 30 dollars into this thing. Works well. The wheel that comes on the grizzly sharpener ain't the greatest though.

Mitch Richardson
03-21-2008, 8:46 PM
I can't believe nobody has any comments.
I posted it because after an extensive search about how i could go about sharpening my own 20 inch planer knives, I realized I had to make my own system. I hope that this design helps someone.

John Shuk
03-21-2008, 8:54 PM
I can't believe nobody has any comments.
I posted it because after an extensive search about how i could go about sharpening my own 20 inch planer knives, I realized I had to make my own system. I hope that this design helps someone.

I agree Mitch. It looks like a great jig.

Phil Thien
03-21-2008, 9:20 PM
Superb!

Do you keep the jig perfectly parallel to the face of the wheel, or slightly skewed?

Mike Cutler
03-21-2008, 9:28 PM
Mitch

I have two comments

I expect to see some version of that copied by a third party manufacturer, and I never knew a Tormek was that messy.

That's an amazing little jig you have made.
Is it possible to modify it to hold chisels and plane blades? I think you're onto to something here.

Mitch Richardson
03-21-2008, 9:32 PM
Superb!

Do you keep the jig perfectly parallel to the face of the wheel, or slightly skewed?

Parallel to the stones edge. I found it easiest to just keep everything square.

Also: The bevel edge on the knives match the wheel angle and are parallel to the table at about the 11 inch mark on a new wheel.

Mitch Richardson
03-21-2008, 9:38 PM
Mitch

I have two comments

I expect to see some version of that copied by a third party manufacturer, and I never knew a Tormek was that messy.

That's an amazing little jig you have made.
Is it possible to modify it to hold chisels and plane blades? I think you're onto to something here.

First:
Yes it can be messy. The knives carry the water during sharpening. You have to keep the water level very low or it ends up everywhere.

Second:
I put a block against the stainless steel clamp to hold it square. I have found during use that I set up the knife against the stone and do not need the squaring block. So you could do away with that and be able to sharpen deeper blades and tools with handles.

Thanks.

Johnny Kleso
03-21-2008, 9:53 PM
Hey that pretty slick...
Do you hone the blade when finished or just use the strop?

Mitch Richardson
03-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey that pretty slick...
Do you hone the blade when finished or just use the strop?

A burr will form during sharpening. I lightly grind the back of the blade against the wheel to remove it (just hold it in my hand) I then use the strop.

Mike Heidrick
03-22-2008, 2:00 AM
Looks like a great idea. Thanks for the pictures.

Eddie Darby
03-22-2008, 7:16 AM
Nice Post!:) Nice jig!:D

jared herbert
03-22-2008, 7:21 AM
What kind of track was used and where in the store did you find it? I always have trouble at the big box stores because they have so much stuff and employees are often clueless about where a specific item is to be found. Thanks Jared

Mitch Richardson
03-22-2008, 8:09 AM
the aluminum track is in the metal rack near the fasteners at lowes. It is intended to edge 3/4 plywood.
I used aluminum in the track because I felt that it would slide better than wood tracks.