PDA

View Full Version : Dowelmax and Pocket Hole Screws to Complement Each Other?

Joe Vincent
03-20-2008, 7:15 PM
Okay, this is a question to make the traditionalists' heads spin:

I really like the precise alignment provided by using the Dowelmax and I'm happy with their joint strength. But I like the fact that pocket hole screw joinery requires no clamps after assembly. I'm wondering whether any folks here combine both in a particular joint location to get the benefits of both: i.e., mostly using dowel pins for the strength and alignment of a joint and then also using a pocket hole screw or two instead of clamps to keep the joint tight as the glue dries. (Assuming the location of the joint is such that the pocket hole won't be seen.)

Thoughts?

J. Z. Guest
03-20-2008, 7:42 PM
I think about that from time to time too, but I doubt if I'd combine them.

I'd pick one or the other based on the strengths.

Jim Becker
03-20-2008, 8:49 PM
'Never done it, but can't see any reason why you couldn't. That said, proper clamping of the joint for pocket screws is every bit as "aligned" as you'll get with any other joinery method. If anything, a dowel will add some modicum of strength to the joint...but do you really need that and is it worth the extra steps and work?

Mike Henderson
03-20-2008, 9:43 PM
Jim has a good point. Pocket screws are normally used on things that don't have a long lifetime, like cabinet face frames. That said, if clamping is a problem, I don't see anything wrong with using pocket screws to hold the joint together until the glue dries, especially if you can hide the pocket screws.

Just seems like a lot of operations.

Mike

Joe Vincent
03-20-2008, 9:43 PM
'Never done it, but can't see any reason why you couldn't. That said, proper clamping of the joint for pocket screws is every bit as "aligned" as you'll get with any other joinery method. If anything, a dowel will add some modicum of strength to the joint...but do you really need that and is it worth the extra steps and work?

The thought came to me because I'm going to do a project using the Dowelmax to make a variety of joints and I just thought that perhaps using a small number of well placed pocket hole screws might save me time and aggravation with clamping. Wondered whether anyone else had done the same.

Bruce Pennell
03-20-2008, 9:45 PM
Joe I use my Domino with pocket screws all the time. Great time saver not having to clamp as much. I've built shop cabinets, a couple of work benches, a few other items. If you won't see it I use pocket screws. Dowel's or domino's are just great for perfect alignment. They work great together. Make sure you don't pocket screw into a dowel.

Ron Dunn
03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Bruce, do you still glue the joint, or do you just dry fit then pocket screw?

Jim Becker
03-21-2008, 9:32 AM
The thought came to me because I'm going to do a project using the Dowelmax to make a variety of joints and I just thought that perhaps using a small number of well placed pocket hole screws might save me time and aggravation with clamping. Wondered whether anyone else had done the same.

That could be one reason for doing some pocket screws...the clamping action...at least in non-visible areas.

Bruce, do you still glue the joint, or do you just dry fit then pocket screw?

Glue is still required for pocket screws for maximum joint strength. The only time I don't use glue is for a dry fit, such as when there is a close quarters scribing situation like I had when fitting a cabinet face frame into a stone fireplace opening. (fake fireplace in the kitchen)

Peter Quinn
03-21-2008, 10:15 AM
I have a walnut foldout side table with an oxbow apron LOML purchased at a reputable regional furniture makers annual sale. It is built with M&T and...you guessed it...pocket hole screws! The table is beautiful, strong and modern. I'm guessing it would have been challenging to clamp the curved apron parts to the legs with traditional methods, but the pocket hole screws seem to be perfect for this application. I think sliding dovetails might have added a bit of strenght and quite a bit of cost but I was impressed by this design solutions simplicity and elegance. I imagine the same idea could work with dowels.