PDA

View Full Version : One giant piece of bubinga

Bill Wyko
03-20-2008, 6:47 PM
I just purchased a piece of highly figured Bubinga burl thats 41" wide, 2" thick and 12' long. approximatly 84 BF. i'd post a picture but it's at the bottom of the pile so until woodworkers unburries it I won't have pics. I don't even have a use for it but it's so beautiful I had to put it into my inventory of woods. I actually have a second one on hold as well but I have no where to put them. Trust me, pics asap.:D If any of you have any suggestions as to what to do with it, please let me know.

John Hain
03-20-2008, 6:53 PM
May I ask.................how much?

Brian Willan
03-20-2008, 6:58 PM
If any of you have any suggestions as to what to do with it, please let me know.

A harvest table or 2 come to mind.

Find a commercial client and make a really nice conference table.

Hurry up with the pics already.

Cheers

Brian

Craig D Peltier
03-20-2008, 7:00 PM
seems like giant slabs of bubinag are rolling around. i think it was on woodworkers journal the $200000 tree that woodcraft bought part of "waterfall tree"
I also saw a 16 foot by 48 inch wide slabs with figure in them at my local supplier sanded both sides 3 inch thick for about 2200 wholesale.
Friend of mine saw same type slabs but 20 feet.

Bill Wyko
03-20-2008, 7:17 PM
That's what it is. Waterfall Bubinga. These pieces must weigh a 1/2 a ton. Been waiting for them for months.

Peter Quinn
03-20-2008, 7:33 PM
Yea, I saw that article yesterday..went to rockler site to check it out...$50 per square foot for 4/4, $58 per square foot for 5/4 and per BF on 6/4 and bigger, slab price not mentioned on the site. I've never seen anything but veneer quoted per SQ foot, and anyway isn't a SQ foot of 4/4 equal to a BF anyway?

That looks like some amazing wood. Nice piece to have. Told my wife I want to make a new front door using it but I am still waiting for funding approval! Very nice tree!

Jim Becker
03-20-2008, 8:42 PM
Ching...ching...and worth every penny when it comes to figure and beauty. It would be table time for me with those slabs...if I only were not allergic to bubinga as I found out the hard way a couple years ago...

Bill Wyko
03-20-2008, 8:43 PM
One of my pieces is 79 BF. the other one is a little bigger. Now if I can just get Woodworkers to get it out of the bottom of the load of lumber:(

Doug Shepard
03-20-2008, 8:51 PM
Will that even fit on your lathe:confused:

Bill Wyko
03-20-2008, 8:55 PM
Will that even fit on your lathe:confused:
Now I REALLY need a VB-36 with a 3 foot swing.:D That or I'll have some beautiful veneer for decades to come.:)

Brian Effinger
03-20-2008, 8:58 PM
If any of you have any suggestions as to what to do with it, please let me know.

You could always send them to me :D

Larry Fox
03-20-2008, 9:36 PM
Congrats Bill - nice score. Bubinga is my favorite wood (so far) for many reasons - I can't wait to see pics. I agree with others, table.

David DeCristoforo
03-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Table tops always come to mind with pieces like this. But I am wondering... how big of a workbench could you fit in your shop....:)

Some years back I did some work for a guy who had bought a slab of that "famous" Hondo mahogany log with the blister figure that was written up in FWW. That one was "only" an inch thick but it was over 40 wide and sixteen feet long. His house had hugely high ceilings and the mahogany slab became a one pice over-mantle "inlaid" into the massive stone fireplace. Spectacular!

YM

Gary Herrmann
03-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Nah, I agree with Brian. Send it to me. I don't need all of it, just a chunk...

Brian Effinger
03-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Nah, I agree with Brian. Send it to me. I don't need all of it, just a chunk...
You take one piece, I'll take the other. I'm not greedy you know :p

Craig Thompson
03-20-2008, 10:32 PM

My address is........

Excellent score. I was just looking two slabs at the local woodcraft as well. I want to build our Double entry doors with bubinga, to match the staircase that we completed a couple years back.

Dale Osowski
03-20-2008, 10:39 PM
That sounds like a beauty. I picked this one up a week or two ago for a sofa table, it's 24" wide 60" long 1.75" thick. I just love the color of Bubinga, it's one of my favorite woods.

Brad Schmid
03-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Here's what Todd Burch did with his a few years back;)
I always liked the unique edge treatment he did on this table to follow the figure.

Original slab:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5536

Final product:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18442&highlight=bubinga+table

Dale Osowski
03-20-2008, 10:45 PM
That is an awesome looking table, the figure and clor is outstanding. Great design as well.

Brian Effinger
03-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Wow, Dale, that is a beautiful piece of wood. Amazing figure.

And the offer I made to Bill is open to you too :D

Of course, I'd probably screw it all up though trying to smooth it. :mad:

Keith Cope
03-21-2008, 7:42 AM
Bill, you could get a LOT of segments out of that! :eek:

Greg Cole
03-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Nah, Send it to me. I don't need all of it, just a chunk...

I don't need it all either, but I'd take it!

SAAAWEEEET SCORE DUDE.

Greg

Chris Padilla
03-21-2008, 11:05 AM
I always liked the unique edge treatment he did on this table to follow the figure.

Original slab:

Final product:

Excellent...was hopin' someone would post Todd's efforts. :)

Brian Brown
03-21-2008, 12:14 PM

Waterfall Bubinga. Terrible nasty wood. Looks horrible. Just ship it up north to me, and I'll put it through the table sa.. errrrrr chipper for you and dispose of it properly. :D

Actually, didn't you need a really nice wet bar in your home?

Bill Wyko
03-21-2008, 12:31 PM

Original slab:

Final product:
Now we're talking. A table and chairs sounds like a nice project. (Never built either before) but I ain't skeerd.

Andrew Mason
03-21-2008, 12:44 PM
That's big... and beautiful.... <drool>

There is a insanely large piece here in Gaithersburg, MD at a place called Exotic Lumber....

about 4 inches thick... 10 feet tall and wider than my arm span... (I stand around 6'4"....) yeah... I have to go over and marvel every time I come in to pickup a couple dozen BF of red oak....

now all I need to do is convince the boss that we need a new conference room table....

Brian Effinger
03-21-2008, 1:18 PM
Waterfall Bubinga. Terrible nasty wood. Looks horrible. Just ship it up north to me, and I'll put it through the table sa.. errrrrr chipper for you and dispose of it properly. :D

Actually, didn't you need a really nice wet bar in your home?

My vote is for a bar top too.