PDA

View Full Version : Delta 36-750 Tilting Arbor Table Saw - Wire for 120V

Andy Zuidema
03-20-2008, 5:20 PM
Hi all - I've found a great deal on a Delta 36-750 Tilting Arbor Table Saw and am trying to find a way to make it work for my situation. It's a 2hp motor running on 230V. I have a detached garage, and running 230V out to it is cost prohibitive. My alternative is to change the saw over to 120V.

Everything I'm finding online seem to spec this motor as 230V. Is there any opportunity to run this saw at a lower voltage? Thanks for any guidance.

Steve Leverich
03-20-2008, 6:37 PM
Andy, with the saw unplugged try removing the cover that should be on a small box attached to the motor - if there are extra wires inside that are wire nutted together, these MAY be the other ends of two separate motor windings - if your motor can be changed, then it has two separate and equal motor windings that will be wired in series for 230 volts, and in parallel for 115 volts.

IF you get lucky, the cover for the little box may have diagrams showing how to re-connect for 115 volt operation. it's not difficult - it's either easy or impossible, depending on whether the motor CAN be changed... STeve

Josiah Bartlett
03-20-2008, 7:01 PM
I have a Delta 34-450 with the 2hp motor and it does allow you to rewire it to 120V, but be aware that you will need at least a 30 amp circuit to do it. If your saw has a magnetic switch you will need a 120V version of that as well, if the motor can even be rewired. The saw is going to draw double the current at 120 volts.

Howard Acheson
03-20-2008, 9:15 PM
Take a look at the motor label. If it is a dual voltage motor it will say 120/240 and have two different amperage ratings. If it just lists a single voltage, then it is a single voltage motor.

And to emphasize, if you are able to convert it to 120 volts, the amperage will be double that of 240 volts. In other words, you may have to rewire your circuit to a larger sized wire. If that's the case, IMO, it's better to run a new circuit for 240 volt operation.

Andy Zuidema
03-21-2008, 3:01 PM
Thank you all for the help! There does not appear to be an option to switch - 230V it is. Thanks again - much appreciated.

Andy