PDA

View Full Version : Resaw and lay-up VS Bookmatched Plywood

jim oakes
03-20-2008, 4:51 PM
I want to have the ability to resaw and lay-up perfect walnut bookmatched veneer panels. I've done it on small stuff, but now I want to do bigger furniture doors. It seems like fun, but it would be expensive and labor intensive.There's lots of potential for cracking,warping and delamination.
The bad part of doing it myself:
1-The cost at minimum is $ 2000 bandsaw + shipping
$ 200 carbide blade(+ $ for more blades)
$ 1000 drum sander
$ ? sand paper
$ ? vac bag or veneer press
$ $3-$5 sq ft for solid walnut and core stock
2- Space to store all this stuff.
3- The backs of the panels would have to be veneered for balance.
4- The waste if it all goes well,would still be the last slice of walnut to thin to resaw.
5- The kerf of the blade( plus sanding) removes enough figure to prevent a perfect bookmatch.
The good:
1- Well, it would be fun.
2- Thicker veneers for radius edges.
3- I could pick thru some planks I have to get more sq ft out of each by resawing.

I tell myself why not just get perfect bookmatched walnut plywood @ $3-$4 a square foot? My dealers let me pick thru to get the best grains and can see them already laid up. It would be so much easier and cheaper.

I know Mr. Krenov would be disappointed in me.

Any thoughts? Is there something I'm way off on?

Josiah Bartlett
03-20-2008, 7:03 PM
How much of it are you going to do, and what else can you use the tools for? $2000 buys a lot of plywood or even allows you to use solid walnut if your run of doors is only going to be a few.

jim oakes
03-20-2008, 9:09 PM
How much of it are you going to do, and what else can you use the tools for? $2000 buys a lot of plywood or even allows you to use solid walnut if your run of doors is only going to be a few.

Hi, Josiah
I want to do about 60 square feet right now, but I want to bookmatch the grain so the solid would only work if it's resawn.