PDA

View Full Version : Six sided mirror

Warren White
03-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Hi Fellow Waders,
I thought I would post a picture of one of the mirror frames I made for my two daughters. I realize that it isn't a technical piece of work like much of what is posted here, but for me it was a lot of fun. It is out of a piece of figured wood I purchased at the Wood Working Show last year. It was from a place called "That Figures."

The frame was cut with a JoinTech Smart Miter jig and the angles were dead on; I am very pleased with the jig's accuracy. The joints are reinforced with pocket screws, thanks to Kreg.

This is the first time I have worked with such beautiful wood, and I was very pleased with the results. I hope you enjoy looking at it. (Incidentally the dark places on the inside of the frame are artifacts of the photographic process....not part of the wood.)

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 12:54 AM
W-W-W

Wow Waren White!
That is FFO!
Beautiful wood.;)

Chris Padilla
03-22-2004, 2:06 AM
Nice work, Warren!

I cannot tell what kind of wood you have there...maple? Can you tell us how you finished it? You got the fiddle to really pop out!

Dick Parr
03-22-2004, 6:11 AM
Very Nice Warren!

Kurt Aebi
03-22-2004, 7:36 AM
Great Job!

Looks very good, I like the figure of the wood, Sharp!

Jim Becker
03-22-2004, 9:02 AM
Absolutely beautiful, Warren! You also really brought out the figure with your finishing, making it even more special. Your daughters are very lucky...

Dave Avery
03-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Absolutely stunnimg, Warren. What did you use for a finish? Dave.

Rob Littleton
03-22-2004, 11:54 AM
That is a NICE looking piece of work.

congrats

Warren White
03-22-2004, 2:27 PM
Thanks to all who commented; it is nice to know that it looks good to you as well. I was astonished at the look of the wood when I finished.

As to the finish, it couldn't have been simpler. I sanded down to 220, sprayed on several coats (from a can, even!) of Deft spray gloss laquer, then put on a few coats of Liberon wax and buffed it out with a car buffer. (I can hear the groans, but that is what I have...)

The wood is maple, and I assume that this particular pattern is quilted or tiger maple. Are they the same?

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Chris Padilla
03-22-2004, 4:21 PM
Quilted is more flowing like while what you have is referred to as fiddleback or tiger maple.