PDA

View Full Version : The whole enchilada!

robert hainstock
03-20-2008, 4:46 PM
Is any body using thiis lathe? Woodworker.com/No1 woodlathe.
What an absolute beast.:)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
03-20-2008, 5:04 PM
Bob - you are right - it's a beast!

Just to make it a little easier for everyone else - here is the website: http://woodturning.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=961-983&LARGEVIEW=ON

Jim Becker
03-20-2008, 5:23 PM
The color would drive me bananas, but yes, that's a hefty machine!

curtis rosche
03-20-2008, 5:26 PM
you might aswell get an industrial lathe and then turn the whole tree into blancks at one time intsead of wasting time with the chainsaw

Dave Stoler
03-20-2008, 5:57 PM
Now that looks like a lathe that would last forever!Has there ever been a list compiled of all lathes..I,d never even heard of this.A google search doesn,t really bring up that much unless i,m missing a key word or somethng.

Bill Stevener
03-20-2008, 6:22 PM
Now that looks like a lathe that would last forever!Has there ever been a list compiled of all lathes..I,d never even heard of this.A google search doesn,t really bring up that much unless i,m missing a key word or somethng.

You can start with some of the ones I have in this thread.
I may continue it some day, I have some 200 photos of historical lathes. I just find them interesting. Two fence posts and a dog power make a good lathe, if you feed the dog well. :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31348&highlight=treadle+lathe

robert hainstock
03-20-2008, 6:23 PM
The front of the catalog just says woodworker.com. thier catalog head title is woodworker's supply. They are inCasper, Wyoming. It just might turn a log.
Bob

Gordon Seto
03-20-2008, 7:16 PM
Has there ever been a list compiled of all lathes..

A partial list is here:
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/LatheSpecs.pdf

I said partial; I believe this is not a complete list of ALL lathes.

Reed Gray
03-20-2008, 7:55 PM
They also have a store/warehouse in New Mexico, and one out east some where. Also, I like the colors, the same as my U of Oregon Ducks. I guess they grew on me.
robo hippy

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2008, 8:59 PM
Creeker Nancy Laird's husband Dave (who's also a Creeker) works at the store in Albuquerque,NM.

Kennneth Sain
03-23-2008, 4:44 PM
And then I checked the price.....................:):confused::eek:

Marvin Hasenak
03-23-2008, 5:07 PM
Colors are pretty close to John Deere green and yellow. Being a John Deere tractor fan I like it. But I think it would be a little over kill for turning game calls.

Marvin

ryan kelley
03-23-2008, 6:00 PM
I ran into a guy here in Chicago that has a woodworking studio with one of these monsters in it. He told me that he loves it because it is so hefty, also has two other Jet in his studio that he doesn't ever use after getting that green monster. I haven't seen it in action but I am real curious about it. I'll have to give him a call and find out when the next time he plans on turning something with it. Maybe I'll get to test it out.

Tom Keen
03-23-2008, 6:27 PM
wow..massive...wasnt aware of this lathe

Ive never heard of Serious Lathes either. This one checks in at 1300 pounds! look at: seriouslathe.com

Sounds pretty neat and its in the same price range as the Oneways. There turning tools are reasonablly priced.

Nancy Laird
03-23-2008, 7:27 PM

Here's a picture of the #1 lathe in action at the AWFS this past July. The chunk of tree that is mounted and being turned weighed almost 300# and needed four hefty men to help mount it. Here's a link to the specs:

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=961-983&search=Machinery%20-%20Lathes

The #1 was developed in the past ten years by a couple of master turners here in Albq., working with the owner of the company.

It is driven by a 3HP state-of-the-art pulse-width-modulated (PWM) DC drive with three speed ranges - 0-600, 0-1,200 and 0-2,000 RPM - this machine will accommodate a full range of woodturning requirements from small bowls and spindles to very large sculptures and columns.
Designed on a modular system, the No. 1 Wood Lathe™ has the ability to expand to meet requirements as skill levels advance. The Basic Lathe, weighing in at 750 lbs., has a 20" swing with 20" between centers. Adding an 18" inboard bed extension will bring the distance between centers to 38" for general spindle work. The outboard beds provide a 36" swing for large capacity turning and all beds are compoundable for very long, between-centers work.
The premium Minarik drive is extremely quiet, running at 22kHz (above audible) and provides very fast circuit response with a constant 1.05 form factor over the entire 100:1 speed range. This means the lathe will respond, quickly, to load changes providing smooth, even power at all speed settings while reaching a full 3HP at low RPM.

Massive 17" long x 2-1/2" dia. spindle shaft. Double row bearings have 14,000 ft/lb outboard dynamic load bearing capacity.
Surface hardened tool rests to rc60 available in 4", 6", 12", 16" and 18" lengths.
48-point indexing and four point shaft locking from both sides of the lathe.
Control panel with digital readout tachometer, speed control and momentary on/off switches.
Optional on/off remote control (standard on outboard models).
Meehanite™ GC-40 cast iron beds produced by a patented, controlled undercooling process with internal lubricating graphite agents for a smoother, friction free surface.
Outboard tool rest has sliding piston locking system eliminating shaft flex for positive lockdown.
Optional 18" and 40" inboard beds and 18" and 36" outboard beds.
Optional 3", 6" and 8" stainless steel faceplates.
All models come with a 12" tool rest, 3" stainless steel faceplate, 4-prong drive center, 60° cone point live center, premium dual window chip guard, operational DVD and manual.

We were considering acquiring one of these for our shop. One of the first machines made--a prototype--is sitting in the warehouse at WWS and has been stripped of the electronics and some of the parts. We figured it would take about $1500-2000 to get it in running condition, and we were seriously talking to the owner about getting it. However, since the city shut us down on the addition to our shop--and we decided that we really don't want to go into turning stuff this large--we decided against it.

BUT, if you ever get a chance to turn on it, take it!! I had about 10 minutes on the thing in Vegas and it hums like a Swiss watch. The master turner we had demo'ing it at AWFS was throwing wet ribbons off the blank that were 15-20 feet long!!

And if you decide to buy one, have a dedicated room/shop for it!! It's huge!!

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2008, 7:27 PM
Wow now that is a machine if you get the whole outfit.

Nancy Laird
03-23-2008, 7:31 PM
They also have a store/warehouse in New Mexico, and one out east some where.

The third store is in Graham, North Carolina, along I-40 in the Burlington area in that string of outlet malls. Easy access on and off the interstate, and the largest (in square footage) of the three stores. If you live east of the Mississippi River and order from Woodworker's, your order will be shipped from Graham--98 times out of 100.

Nancy

curtis rosche
03-23-2008, 7:54 PM
the only problem i can see with this lathe is that it only goes down to 600rpm if you actualy had a peice that takes 4 people to hold and it wasnt round there is no way to rough it it would spin to fast and you couldnt get enough wieght to weigh it down

Gordon Seto
03-23-2008, 7:55 PM
I am all for free market competition. As consumers, the more real choices we have, the better we are. Let them earn our business by providing quality, service and value.

Gordon Seto
03-23-2008, 8:02 PM
I believe this is a 3-range variable speed.
The first belt position is any where from zero to 600. 600 is the top speed of the slow speed range for most torque.
The medium range is zero to 1200.
The high range is zero to 2000.

This lathe speed is designed for turning big. It lacks the super high speed 3000+ for small spindle turnings.

John Shuk
03-23-2008, 8:25 PM
I have looked at them in the catalog and had lust in my heart.
I kind of like the color. That combination is pretty traditional for industrial machinery.
I haven't heard of many folks with them though.

Nancy Laird
03-23-2008, 10:59 PM
the only problem i can see with this lathe is that it only goes down to 600rpm

Curtis - all three speed ranges start at 0 (zero) and move up from there. You can go 2rpm if you want to.

Raymond Overman
03-23-2008, 11:01 PM
They have a showroom just outside of Greensboro/Burlington, North Carolina. I've visited a couple of times. It is a monster of a lathe. They think quite a lot of the thing too. I haven't heard any reviews though.

Joseph Peacock
03-24-2008, 5:05 PM
It shure looks kide one.;)