PDA

View Full Version : Shop Operations Question

Brent Vander Weil
03-20-2008, 3:04 PM
WHat does everyone use in thier day to day operation as far as an approval prosess for proofs and subsequent design changes and production? I am trying to figure out exactly how to create a paper trail so the "Oh I didn't approve that design!" or the "How much... you said it was going to be..."

If anyone has a process they would care to share that has helped REDUCE (cause ya know ya won't eliminate it!!!) these situations it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone here... your a most kind and valuable resource...

Anyone here ever heard of the Far-From-Normal Sign supply company? I just returned from thier annual "Spring Fling" event and it was a really good time... met alot of very good people and vendors reps. Takes place each spring around St. Patty's day in Fargo, ND... Good times...

Mike Null
03-20-2008, 3:11 PM
Brent

I send a jpeg file via email.

Joe Pelonio
03-20-2008, 4:31 PM
I too use email, but I copy and paster it into a Word document along with the price, if they need to know in advance. Their approval is then by e-mail which I save.

Brent Vander Weil
03-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Thnaks guys... I am just trying to come up with a document that will kind of lay things out in black and white so if/when the conflict occurs I have some sort of documentation to fall back on.

Keith Outten
03-21-2008, 7:24 AM
A PDF file generated in Corel Draw might be a good option for some, saved as a read only document so it can't be changed.

Doug Bergstrom
03-21-2008, 8:13 AM
We have an illustrator proof approval sheet that has all the client information, project information, and a reduced scaled drawing of the project on it along with our copyright information. The last one is important so that another shop cannot use your designs.

Brent Vander Weil
03-30-2008, 3:19 PM
What do you do in the case of art charges and selling your designs to a customer? We are getting more and more customers who want to take our artwork to have business cards etc. made, but their would be nothing to stop them from going to another sign shop with my design either... Our shop rate is $50/hr, not sure if art time charges should be the same, or less... As far as selling the design to the customer what are the feelings on that subject?

Joe Pelonio
03-30-2008, 3:50 PM
While the logo you designed may have their name, you still own it. That means they should have to pay for using it in other ways unless you decide to allow them to use it freely. My suggestion is that whenever you are asked to design a logo you let them know in advance the complete amount they will be charged plus any restrictions.

If they go to a graphic design firm, they will pay thousands for logo design, or "corporate identity" as it may be called. Often people will find that out and go to a sign shop hoping to get it free.

The least I'd charge would be $75 per hour for your time, $100 is better. What I will do is spend 1 hour and give them 3 proofs, they know that the more changes they make the more it will cost. Then add a package price for a CD and licensing agreement with various versions for their use on other printed matter, but show that any use by others for materials that you make are expressly prohibited. I'd suggest at least $300. This is, of course, provided you can demonstrate to them your ability with a portfolio of prior work.

Be aware of the low end competition though, there are now many websites offering this for $99-149 including a batch of business cards.

Howard Garner
03-31-2008, 6:47 AM
While the logo you designed may have their name, you still own it. That means they should have to pay for using it in other ways unless you decide to allow them to use it freely. My suggestion is that whenever you are asked to design a logo you let them know in advance the complete amount they will be charged plus any restrictions.

If they go to a graphic design firm, they will pay thousands for logo design, or "corporate identity" as it may be called. Often people will find that out and go to a sign shop hoping to get it free.

The least I'd charge would be $75 per hour for your time, $100 is better. What I will do is spend 1 hour and give them 3 proofs, they know that the more changes they make the more it will cost. Then add a package price for a CD and licensing agreement with various versions for their use on other printed matter, but show that any use by others for materials that you make are expressly prohibited. I'd suggest at least $300. This is, of course, provided you can demonstrate to them your ability with a portfolio of prior work.

Be aware of the low end competition though, there are now many websites offering this for $99-149 including a batch of business cards.
But if this is a work for hire, they, not you would own the copyright.
You need to have your normal agreement spell this out.

Howard Garner

Doug Bergstrom
04-01-2008, 8:14 AM
We are up front with our customers when we start the project. For a small business i.e. plumber, builder, etc. we charge $300 for a basic logo design. 1/2 up front and 1/2 when finished. We give them 3 options and 1 round of changes. When finished we hand them a CD with their logo in Vector, raster, B&W and color versions as well as a web version. If they require additional changes we bill at our design rate. If it is a large company that requires design of logo and marketing materials, marketing research and in some cases even focus groups this is charged differently and can cost up to $10,000 or more.

Brent Vander Weil
04-19-2008, 8:07 PM
I appreciate all of the input I think we can formulate some sort of plan from these suggestions... if anyone would care to share a copy of the document you use I would appreciate it... I understand if you want to keep it private as you have probably paid someone to do the leg work to make things legal...