PDA

View Full Version : 3520B and electrical Questions?

Scott Hubl
03-20-2008, 2:51 PM
I'm going to have my electrical box in my garage shop replaced and wanted to know what I should add for the lathe?

Heres why, I feel it really needs the update and no better time than now.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/GOLD%203520B/BOX.jpg

I was thinking of adding 2 220V lines to the lathe, one for it, and one for a 220v Vac pump.

And adding 2 seperate 110V circuts one for lighting the lathe area and one for plug in tools like for a power sander ect..

I like the idea of a cut off switch for the lathe too.

When the electrician hopefully gets here later today, what all should I tell him I want? Is there a certain switch I should want to use?
20 amps for the lathe? Plug type?

Ect.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

James Biddle
03-20-2008, 3:19 PM
Here's how I wired my garage (so far). I added a new subpanel from a 50 amp breaker in my main panel. I ran the wire through a 60 amp disconnect (upper left) first so I can pull all the power to it when needed. From the subpanel, I added one 220 20a circuit for the lathe (the plug on the left). I can unplug the lathe if I want to leave the rest of the circuits on. I added another 220 20a circuit for an air compressor on the other side of the garage. I ran one 110 volt 15a circuit that runs the lights and heater fan (switches on the right). I ran a 110 20a circuit for plugs (20a GFCI plug on the right and others from there). I left spare space just in case...

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/panel1.jpg

Scott Hubl
03-20-2008, 3:40 PM
Looks nice James.

As you can see in my box the upper left is the main breaker switch the one to the right in a 220V that goes to my air compressor and is hardwired in so no plug to it.

The little breakers are for my lights and outlets by wall basically.
The box to the upper left is a timer box for outdoor lights on the garage and my shed.

My garage is not connected to the house but the electric is run from the house inground.

I want to eliminate all those mini breakers leaving room for more circuits as needed, as you can see what I have is full.

Scott Hubl
03-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Is 12G wire OK for the lathes 220 line? Or should I insist on 10G?

I am setting up a 220 20 amp for the lathe.
A220 15 amp for a Gast Vac Pupm.
A110 15 amp for an overhead light with a plug in for using a drill and such for power sanding ect. .
And a 110 20 amp for my HF DC unit.

Can anyone think of any other circuits needed?

Bill Stevener
03-21-2008, 12:37 PM
I think if you tell the electrician every thing you plan on having in your shop, now and in the future, if he is any good, he will tell you what you need and more.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scott Hubl
03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Bill,
He's more of the wifes side jack of all trades kinda guy.

Were basically just swapping out the box for a bigger one so I can add the needed circuits.

I could have done the swap myself, but I don't like wiring all that much.

He said at first to go with 10G on 220 but after looking over the manual said 12 should be fine.

I'm just curious what others are using 10 or 12 gauge for the lathes 220 line?

The run will only be 12 feet from the panal, if not less.

I'm replacing the standard 6 foot lathe cord with a 15 footer and using a twist lock plug rated at 20 amps.

Chris Padilla
03-21-2008, 12:53 PM
#14 is the min needed for 15 A circuits
#12 is the min needed for 20 A circutis
#10 is the min needed for 30 A circuits

You can certainly put #10 on a 20 A circuit and you might just be future proofing yourself against a bigger machine someday. However, when you see the cost difference between #10 and #12, it might make you think twice.

Scott Hubl
03-21-2008, 1:27 PM
Thanks Chris,
He does this stuff all the time , he works for the owner of a BBQ Rib Chain here, so is doing electrical and plumbing all the time in one of the stores and he does alot of sidejobs.

I just wanted to make sure that 12 was OK , I plan on moving once this housing slump thing is on a turn around if not sooner so I'm not worried about future proofing this place.

I doubt i'll ever be upgrading the 3520B in my lifetime.

Scott Hubl
03-21-2008, 2:59 PM
:confused: Why was this moved it pertains to turning?

Chris Padilla
03-21-2008, 3:33 PM
Scott,

You specifically asked an electrical question so it belongs in the workshop forum hence I moved it. :)

Rob Russell
03-21-2008, 3:56 PM
Just a comment for both posters with pics - the space in front of the panelboard is supposed to be kept clear and not used as storage.

Don Eddard
03-21-2008, 4:09 PM
Scott, since the 220v Gast vac pump pulls such a small amp load, it can be run on the same circuit as the 3520. A lot of folks run both on the same circuit. Not sure if it's completely code-compliant, but it's definitely doable.

Jon McCoy
03-21-2008, 4:11 PM
Having your lighting on a breaker separate from the outlets is good planning -- lights go out much faster than tools stop spinning. It's a little unnerving trying to mentally plan your path to the door/breaker panel while whirly sharp things lose their momentum.

I'd also suggest putting in twice as many utility outlets as you think you'll need, either more single boxes or double-wide boxes with four outlets.

-jon-

Scott Hubl
03-21-2008, 6:28 PM
Just a comment for both posters with pics - the space in front of the panelboard is supposed to be kept clear and not used as storage.
Good point, I do need to find another spot for my Drill Press.

Scott Hubl
03-21-2008, 6:36 PM
No problem Chris I just thought it was specific to a 3520B it would go in Turning, no biggie.

Don, I already split them and it adds very little to the cost to seperate.

Jon, My shop was all done up before I moved in this house many tears ago, learned quick to want seperate lighting off the outlet circuits.
This will at least keep one or two lights ON over the lathe area. a few other lights are seperated as well but not all.

Thanks guys were still installing but the legs are upright.:D

Rob Russell
03-21-2008, 8:43 PM
Scott, since the 220v Gast vac pump pulls such a small amp load, it can be run on the same circuit as the 3520. A lot of folks run both on the same circuit. Not sure if it's completely code-compliant, but it's definitely doable.

It's no problem from a code perspective to have both on the same circuit.