PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for instructional DVD's

michael p williams
03-20-2008, 2:01 PM
I need a DVD (or online tutorials) that covers the basics of how to use the standard lathe tools, what height the tool rest should be etc. . The wife is learning and doesn't always think I know what the I'm talking about.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Mike

Gordon Seto
03-20-2008, 2:17 PM
Try this on YouTube:
YouTube - JETTOOLSUSA's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/JETTOOLSUSA)
The first DVD from Jimmy Clewes - "Turnaround", and Richard Raffan dvd.

On Bowls, there is none better than "Turned Bowl Made Easy" by Bill Grumbine.

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2008, 2:26 PM
Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy".

Jim Becker
03-20-2008, 3:20 PM
I'll also suggest Bill Grumbine's first DVD as a great place to start. He teaches the basics including body movement and balance, which is very important.

robert hainstock
03-20-2008, 4:12 PM
Bills first video remains in the player for frequent referancce. His second is not so valuable. But his instructional technique on the first is first rate. :):)
Bob

John Abt
03-21-2008, 9:01 AM
For what it's worth, I agree that Bill's video is a "must see".

michael p williams
03-21-2008, 9:08 AM
Are there any good DVD's or tutorials for spindle turning?

Thanks again

John Abt
03-22-2008, 8:53 AM
Michael,

I'd suggest Alan Lacer's "The Skew Chisel: The Dark Side/The Sweet Side" or Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood".

John

Mike Peace
03-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Try this on YouTube:
YouTube - JETTOOLSUSA's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/JETTOOLSUSA)
The first DVD from Jimmy Clewes - "Turnaround", and Richard Raffan dvd.

On Bowls, there is none better than "Turned Bowl Made Easy" by Bill Grumbine.

I agree with Gordon, that Nick Cooks videos on Youtube are a quick exposure to the basics. IMHO, she should hold off on watching bowl turning DVDs until she gets the basics of spindle turning down.

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I agree that Alan Lacer's The Skew Chisel and Richard Raffan's Turning wood are both good for beginning turners on spindles.

Burt Alcantara
03-22-2008, 1:27 PM
Bowl Turning by Del Stubbs. Excellent!

Terry Quiram
03-23-2008, 9:28 AM
I have to disagree with Alan Lacer's videos for instruction on how to learn and use a skew. Lacer shows some neat projects but doesn't really explain how to use it. My recommendation is to get Mike Darlow's skew dvd. It is a two dvd set. He shows hand grip, shows hand movements, shows what to expect and what happens and why it happens when you do something wrong. He covers skew shapes and sizes and what to expect when useing them.

If your turning club has registered with Hartville tools each member receives 20% off of anything in their catalog except Festool.

Gordon Seto
03-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I would try the Skew DVD from Alan Batty first. I find the Alan Batty explains the direction of cut better than Lacer DVD.

I have not seen this skew dvd from Mike Darlow. Take it for what's worth. I have borrowed his 7 hour long DVD from our Club. I find them over packed with math and theories; very dry and his monotone voice made me sleep. I have made a lot of efforts trying to finish watching and returned it to the library next month. I have even tried watching it first thing in the morning. From the portion that I have seen, I would have to say his contents would be most complete. Far more than I will ever need to know on how to use the tool.

Terry Quiram
03-23-2008, 1:14 PM
very dry and his monotone voice made me sleep.

Gordon you are right, I did have to watch one section twice cause I missed the middle.:D

Terry