PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I win a 60 1/2? Anti-Gloat

Chris Thompson
03-20-2008, 12:49 PM
For the past few weeks I've been trying to snag a 60 1/2 off of "that auction site". I'm not even very picky, as I'm comfortable doing some rehab and restoration.

It seems that every time I bid, the auction closes for one dollar more than my bid. I've bid at $40, at $50, and lost at $41, and $51. And this covers like six different auctions.

Call this an anti-gloat. Apparently I completely misunderstand the "Value" of a 60 1/2. For now I guess I'll keep trying and stick with my 110 and 220.

Matt Bickford
03-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Losing by $1 only means that there was one person willing to pay more than you. The person that paid $41 may have had a maximum bid of $75.

Chris Thompson
03-20-2008, 1:35 PM
Losing by $1 only means that there was one person willing to pay more than you. The person that paid $41 may have had a maximum bid of $75.

Matt, fair enough, and I realized that. But it's still frustrating.

Tony Zaffuto
03-20-2008, 1:40 PM
Why don't you consider one of the internet dealers such as Patrick Leach or Akbar & Jeff?

T.Z.

Narayan Nayar
03-20-2008, 1:55 PM
Chris,

I went through what you're going through. Deals can be had on that auction site, sure, but to me they aren't worth the hassle. I only bid on stuff when I know exactly what I'll pay for it and if I don't really care if I get it. Sniping, shipping, fraud, auction checking...not worth it to me.

I think Tony's got a great idea. I'd check Leach's list.

Richard Kee
03-20-2008, 3:03 PM
Chris,

Send me your mailing address via a PM. I have a vintage one you may have. It's missing two small parts, but I'll even include those parts from another plane. It's certainly worth restoring.

Richard

Billy Chambless
03-20-2008, 4:05 PM
Chris,

I only bid on stuff when I know exactly what I'll pay for it and if I don't really care if I get it.

Same here.

Greg Cole
03-20-2008, 4:17 PM
I hate that auction site. I know what I will pay for something or what it is worth to me... I won't get wrapped up in bidding wars and can go the rest of my life w/out an impuse buy.
The couple of decent transactions I had were "buy it now" kinds where you make an offer and the seller can accept or decline.
I don't even look at that site anymore, I'd rather look harder to find what I'm looking for & maybe that takes more time & costs more... but that's me.:rolleyes:

Greg

Louis Rucci
03-20-2008, 4:53 PM
I agree here. I've had a few phone conversations with Patrick and bought a few planes from him.

Once he emailed me on the price of a plane I was bidding on, saying he thought my bid was too high.

Told him I was mad at the other bidder and wanted to make him pay. He did too :D.

Oh Yes, on the unmentionable site.

Louis Rucci
03-20-2008, 4:55 PM
I agree here. I've had a few phone conversations with Patrick and bought a few planes from him.

Once he emailed me on the price of a plane I was bidding on, saying he thought my bid was too high.

Told him I was mad at the other bidder and wanted to make him pay. He did too :D.

Now if I can only get my hands on a Stanley 101.

Tony Zaffuto
03-20-2008, 6:12 PM
With the Leachmeister, if you email him him, telling what you are looking for, he, more than likely, will have one or know where one is. His tool inventory is far more extensive than the monthly list. Many of the tools on the monthly list are aimed at the collector in us and if you want a user, tell him and you'll probably save a few bucks.

T.Z.

Dave Cavanaugh
03-20-2008, 6:28 PM
I can second that. I emailed Tom Bruce looking for user jack and block planes for my high school shop class; I told him Handyman quality were fine, and that I wanted a 60 1/2 for myself. I found myself with two big boxes in short order; the jack plane order included a very decent type 11 or so Bailey (which did NOT get to the school) and the block plane order included nice low angle block at a reasonable price that is now one of my favorite small planes.

josh bjork
03-20-2008, 7:24 PM
Only $45 for a new one, what's the big issue?

Phillip Pattee
03-20-2008, 8:35 PM
If you think it is hard to get a 60 1/2 at a reasonable price, just start looking for a 65!:eek:

Brian Ward
03-20-2008, 8:51 PM
The 60 1/2 is a fine plane, but I do know what you mean when you say that it's hard to find a reasonable antique sample on ebay. As others have suggested, I'd look for a reputable dealer--that way, you also won't get a chipped mouth or some other irritating damage.

For what it's worth, when I was searching for a good one, I looked at the difference between the various prices and just went for the Lee Valley low angle block plane instead. It's one of the least expensive Veritas planes.

Gary Herrmann
03-20-2008, 9:10 PM
Another plug for Patrick. I've bought a few items from him. Very helpful and easy to deal with.

Chris Thompson
03-20-2008, 10:59 PM
This is why this forum is unlike any other.

I'm lurking on probably 20 forums across the net, on subjects from guitars, to internet marketing to smoking meat. I'm Actively participating in at least 6 at any given time.

I posted this question this afternoon and got PMs pointing out an auction on ebay with a buy-it-now, and even someone who is just boxing up a plane and shipping it to me, no strings attached.

All this on a day where other human interaction (as in my job) was full of politics and backstabbing.

SMC is good people. Thanks, all of you.

Johnny Kleso
03-21-2008, 1:58 AM
I'm more found of No65 they are high and running $50+ but how much are 60 1/2 selling for these days?

Tony Zaffuto
03-21-2008, 6:13 AM
At the Patina sale of this past weekend, I saw some 60-1/2 (good users not collectors) as low as $20.00. 65's were about double that.

The 65 are to wide for my liking, although I got a couple or three of them (no I don't collect--I use everything I have at least once for a few seconds).

T.Z.

ralph cox
03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
3 good users for $5 each: but then I like to shop at my local FM. All with good steel, two maroon and one dark blue, and they are all up and running.Now to finish fettling that danged $10 English 9 1/2 :). Clean up your enviorment;buy local rust:D!

Cheers,ralph

Rick Dohm
03-23-2008, 5:14 PM
Johnny:

Love your website!!

To answer your question, 2-60 1/2s just sold for $67 and $81 (IOB). A 60 sold for $81 and a 65 sold for $55. I only know because I've been looking too -- just can't bring myself to spend that much on a block plane! Guess I'm just too cheap. Problem is, I haven't found a good place to go looking other than the auction site.

Rick