PDA

View Full Version : Portable Drill Stand

Burt Alcantara
03-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Something I need often is a stand to hold my various portable drills. I do have a drill press but it doesn't always fit the job.

In my younger days ( a loooong time ago) it was easy to buy one anywhere. I suppose if I were a bit more creative I could make one but I've yet to come up with a workable idea.

My drills are 12v Ryobi, 18v Ryobi, 1/2" corded HF. I use the 18v the most followed by the corded. All three are very different sizes and weights, the corded having wrist-breaking torque.

Your suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Burt

Michael Wildt
03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Burt,

I think I know what you have in mind. My dad had one of those a Wolfcraft I think. It had a collar that locked around the drill it self. It had it's limitations and I haven't seen similar once for quite a while.

One thing that might do the job would be this one:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2405&filter=drill%20accesories

It is a 'Portable drill guide', and it should work with any drill as far as I can tell.

Michael

J. Z. Guest
03-20-2008, 1:03 PM
I think the one Michael linked to IS the Wolfcraft. (assuming by the green knobs) Home Depot has the Wolfcraft model. I believe Menards does too.

glenn bradley
03-20-2008, 1:04 PM
Same boat. In the world of portable drill guides, my dad has been through everything from a Harbour Freight unit up to units pushing $100. They were all poor. If anyone has found one that is better than free hand, my dad would be thrilled to hear about it.

Bruce Pennell
03-20-2008, 1:35 PM
McFeely's offers one HERE (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/DG-3637/General-Adjustable-Drill-Guide)

Steve Leverich
03-20-2008, 6:24 PM
$48.95??!? I (just this afternoon) saw the exact same (General) unit at HD for $29.95.

Also, I've had one of the "wanna-be" drill press attachments (Craftsman) for years, and have yet to find much use for it. It actually clamps the drill and has a (sort of) drill press handle. Next to impossible to line up so the bit runs straight up and down... Steve

Eric Haycraft
03-20-2008, 6:54 PM
I have this one from grizzly. Despite the idiot on amazon that gave it a bad review because he attached it to the chuck and not the drill body, it is decent. The price was right too. I use it for my cordless dewalt which fits it well. I thought this style looked more sturdy than the rockler model too, but haven't used both to definitively say one was better or worse.

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G8061-Aluminum-Drill-Stand/dp/B0000DD6XF

Loren Hedahl
03-20-2008, 10:41 PM
My son has a dandy little Harbor Freight drill press that he paid about $30 on sale several years ago. I would believe the regular price is about $50.

It would outperform any portable drill stand on the market, hands down.

Burt Alcantara
03-22-2008, 1:03 PM
The items posted are for drilling down, i.e., a drill press substitute...sort of. What I'm looking for is one where the drill is set into a cradle, handle up. The business end is parallel to the horizon with nothing in the way.

This way, a variety of heads such as a bonnet, drill bit, router bit, grinder wheel, cut-off wheel, drum sander, etc... can be attached and used with no encumbrances.

Burt

Richard M. Wolfe
03-22-2008, 3:18 PM
I would say Loren has hit on it. Anything sturdy and well built enough to work decently would cost about as much as a drill press. I've had a couple.....operative word being 'had'.

Eric Haycraft
03-22-2008, 7:18 PM
The items posted are for drilling down, i.e., a drill press substitute...sort of. What I'm looking for is one where the drill is set into a cradle, handle up. The business end is parallel to the horizon with nothing in the way.

This way, a variety of heads such as a bonnet, drill bit, router bit, grinder wheel, cut-off wheel, drum sander, etc... can be attached and used with no encumbrances.

Burt
Look at the grizzly. You can spin the plunge action to the open side and drill there. I picked it up to drill holes in my workbench since I didn't want to do it freehand and the floor drill press wouldn't do it...I just clamp the base down and can drill on the opposite side into the surface below.