PDA

View Full Version : Gerstner Type Toolbox

Steven DeMars
03-20-2008, 11:43 AM
One project I want to build is couple of Gerstner type machinist tool boxes. I have one Gerstner to look at and have found a plan or two that is similar. I have found hardware through Rockler. So I got that part covered.

The question to all you experienced guys. How would you go about getting all the drawers to fit so neatly and uniform. Gerstner uses a simple maple runner attached to the carcass with recesses in the drawers. But I can not figure out how to lay out the parts to accomplish this.

If you would please let me know what "key" words to search for or threads to help me with this.

Kyle Kraft
03-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Steve,
I received an old Gerstner box made of walnut. It was missing several drawers and had some swelling/water damage at the bottom. I made my new drawers using the old ones as examples, so they fit right the first time. Recently I made a jewelry box for the LOML and I made the drawers about 0.031" oversize overall. When fitting the drawers to the box, I used a cut up Digiorno pizza box as shims on each side of the drawers, both between the drawers and the case (some parts of the box had 3 drawers side by side). Using a cheapo table top belt sander, I sanded the sides of the drawers until they all fit into the case with a pizza box shim snugly between.

You might do the same with your tool box.

John Viola
03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi Steve-

For the life of me I cannot remember the issue, but Shopnotes or Woodsmith magazine did an issue where the cover project was exactly what you are building. I built it maybe 12 years ago. You can either look on their website to see if they still sell plans, or you can PM me and I can get them to you somehow.

Let me know!

Ed Costello
03-22-2008, 9:32 AM
Try this for your hardware

http://www.gerstner.net/hardware.htm

Jeff Mohr
03-30-2008, 9:03 AM
Hi Steve-

For the life of me I cannot remember the issue, but Shopnotes or Woodsmith magazine did an issue where the cover project was exactly what you are building. I built it maybe 12 years ago. You can either look on their website to see if they still sell plans, or you can PM me and I can get them to you somehow.

Let me know!

Has that issue come back to you? :rolleyes:

Ryan Schamper
03-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Here are a couple of pictures. I bought the plans from Rockler and followed pretty much everything as it was wrote out. As far as the runners I oversized the dado just slightly. To much and it will bind. I have about 1/32nd of movement side to side between the cabinet and the total width of the drawer. I plan to use a wax to aid in the slide but have not done so yet. the lacquer is holding up just fine.

Jack Vines
03-30-2008, 12:23 PM
FWIW, I still have tool chest plans from a February, 1983 Popular Mechanics which I intend to build someday soon.

thnx, jack vines

Jeff Mohr
03-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Here are a couple of pictures. I bought the plans from Rockler and followed pretty much everything as it was wrote out. As far as the runners I oversized the dado just slightly. To much and it will bind. I have about 1/32nd of movement side to side between the cabinet and the total width of the drawer. I plan to use a wax to aid in the slide but have not done so yet. the lacquer is holding up just fine.

WOW! Nice tool chest! I've skimmed the Rockler plans and wasn't too crazy about them but now that I've seen a chest made from them that changes my mind!

I wasn't keen on the stop/blind dadoes that are needed...any tricks on doing those? Any other problem spots with the plans?

Thanks

Ryan Schamper
03-30-2008, 10:20 PM
The stop dadoes are not bad. Make a jig to keep them consistent.

One thing that did not work well for me is the detent stops used for the front cover. Instead I used two locking mechanisms listed in the plans. So when the lid shuts I have two pins one on the left and one on the right. Make sure you drill them straight. Mine did not go in with out a little work. I ended up boring out the brass inserts for the pin to slide smoothly. I should have checked the drill press better before drilling.

If you plan to use felt in the bottom of the drawers, buy a wooly felt. It is stronger and will last longer the normal felt.

In the photos you will notice I built an intermediate chest also. I built this with three drawers using the same overall construction. The middle drawer is the same height as the smallest drawer in the top chest. A smaller drawer for pencils and rules. And a deep drawer to fit a machinist handbook.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I can take more photos tomorrow if needed.

Ryan Schamper

Wes Bischel
03-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Stephen, (and Jeff),
I remember a few tool chests from ShopNotes/Woodsmith -
http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/049/
http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/079/
http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/151/
http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/168/

I'm not sure if any are what you are looking for though.

Wes

Steven DeMars
03-31-2008, 1:14 AM
FWIW, I still have tool chest plans from a February, 1983 Popular Mechanics which I intend to build someday soon.

thnx, jack vines

Could you check and see if this was the one you have? If not, was it for a machinist type chest. Was the date February 1983.

http://i11.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/a5/02/f5ae_1_sbl.JPG

Jeff Mohr
03-31-2008, 8:48 AM
Let me know if you have any more questions. I can take more photos tomorrow if needed.

Ryan Schamper

Thanks for the pointers and if you've got more photos I'd love to see them. I'm considering making a gerstner type box for my Dad's Birthday and looking for all the ideas I can get.

Steven DeMars
03-31-2008, 1:56 PM

Any pictures, any info appreciated . . . . If I could build a few GERSTNER quality toolboxes for myself and as gifts I would definitely feel my shop has done it's duty . . . .

I have ordered the plans offered by ROCKLER. If anyone remembers a particular issue of any magazine, please let me know so that I can locate it on eBay . . .:p

Ryan Schamper
03-31-2008, 9:58 PM
I will take some more pictures on Tuesday after work. Thanks for the compliments.

Ryan

Ryan Schamper
04-09-2008, 7:50 AM
Here are a couple of more pictures.

Ryan Schamper

Steven DeMars
04-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Very nice work . . . .

Jeff Mohr
04-10-2008, 9:18 AM
Ryan,

Very nice indeed. Thanks for the additional pictures. I might try out the Rockler plans.

Joe Vunikau
05-13-2009, 9:33 PM
The stop dadoes are not bad. Make a jig to keep them consistent.

One thing that did not work well for me is the detent stops used for the front cover. Instead I used two locking mechanisms listed in the plans. So when the lid shuts I have two pins one on the left and one on the right. Make sure you drill them straight. Mine did not go in with out a little work. I ended up boring out the brass inserts for the pin to slide smoothly. I should have checked the drill press better before drilling.

If you plan to use felt in the bottom of the drawers, buy a wooly felt. It is stronger and will last longer the normal felt.

In the photos you will notice I built an intermediate chest also. I built this with three drawers using the same overall construction. The middle drawer is the same height as the smallest drawer in the top chest. A smaller drawer for pencils and rules. And a deep drawer to fit a machinist handbook.

Ryan Schamper

Ryan, this box is awesome craftsmanship. I am actually working on something similar. I am having trouble figuring out how to do the stowaway front cover. Did you use some type of hinge on the bottom? How does it slide underneath? Did you use some type of pin that slide along stop dados to the back? Any help would be very much appreciated.

William Adams
12-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Try this for your hardware

http://www.gerstner.net/hardware.htm

Thank you for this link!

Does anyone know if Part# 1002 --- Brass Catch w/Screws is solid brass or plated?