PDA

View Full Version : Portable Diaper Changing Supply Kit

Brent Ring
03-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Some friends of mine recently had their first baby boy, and there is a big story behind that. Anyway, knowing them, I thought a tote that would hold diapers, baby wipes, a supply of garbage bags for the used material, and other baby items, like Desitin, etc. would be hand to have. This again is my own design, and is EXTREMELY simple, but gave me a chance to test out half blind dovetails on my router table and Incra Ultralite fence system.

It is 1/2" cherry, with an simple 1/4" oak ply bottom. Finish is again Danish Oil, with 4 coats of Deft lacquer sprayed on. I will add a wax coat in a couple of days.

The big section is for spare diapers, the next two larger sections are for wipes and garbage bags, and the middle small section is for changing ointments, etc.

Honest commentary welcome

Tomislav Biric
03-20-2008, 1:35 PM
Nice job - and as a fellow Utahn with two currently in diapers, I can say that there is little more useful than something to keep everything handy.

~Tomislav

Jim Becker
03-20-2008, 1:37 PM
That's a very kewel idea! I can think of at least one person I'm close to that could use something like this, too...oy...just what I need, another project.

Russ Sears
03-20-2008, 3:09 PM
Brent, how did you cut the center, handle section? Did you use a scroll saw for the handhold? How about the curves on the exterior? You did a beautiful job. I have a hard time getting nice even curves like that.

Kyle Kraft
03-20-2008, 3:13 PM
Nice job Brent, my only suggestion would be to put a roundover on the sharp corners.

Brent Ring
03-20-2008, 3:19 PM
Brent, how did you cut the center, handle section? Did you use a scroll saw for the handhold? How about the curves on the exterior? You did a beautiful job. I have a hard time getting nice even curves like that.

Russ,

For the handle,
I used a drill press to drill 1" holes on the end, and then a jigsaw, and router with a roundover bit. I then rasped and sanded to shape.

The outside was cut with a bandsaw, and then sanded and rounded. I used the sanded to break the sharp edges..

The box is 18" x 13" x 4" hi sides.... the middle divider is about 8" tall....

Eric DeSilva
03-20-2008, 6:05 PM
Are you going to fill it with some stuff when you deliver it? If so--speaking as one with a 3 week old--I highly recommend Boudreaux's Butt Paste. I'm not kidding.

Very nice job. I could use one, but don't think I'm going to get into my shop for a while. The prospect of operating heavy machinery on 2 hours sleep seems... er... dangerous.

Peter Quinn
03-20-2008, 7:23 PM
Ditto the butt paste...works great...I recently started using it to lubricate my trunnion gears too...good stuff.

Seriously, Beautiful job. Having a one year old (my first son) I might suggest making an extra compartment for a vapor mask and rubber gloves, which have become part of my standard kit!

Kool thing is long after diapers are a distant memory that piece can be repurposed and your craftsmanship will continue to serve them well. You have created an instant heirloom!

Greg Ware
03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Brent
Nice job and a great idea. I am sure your friends will enjoy it. Where in Utah are you? I'm in American Fork. Always good to meet another woodhead. Tomislav, where do you live.
Thanks for posting the pictures Brent.

Greg