PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry box for my Daughter.

Brent Ring
03-20-2008, 10:51 AM
This comes from some bookmatched cedar that I picked up in January. Cedar definately chips out easily on the planer and jointer! It also has a mahogany base and pegs, and cocobolo drawer fronts. I used this case as my first foray into handcutting dovetails. I should have chosen a bit harder wood for that. Anyway, most importantly, daughter loves it, so much that I could not get pics taken empty. She was watching and as soon as I got the hardware on, she had it and was filling it up.

This was my design, and some input from her. The finish is one coat of Danish oil, followed by 4 coats of shellac.

Again, honest commentary welcome.

gary Zimmel
03-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Brent

Beautiful looking Jewelry Box. Your daughter should be proud.

Looks like she is already putting it to good use...

Chris Padilla
03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Honestly, too much of the wild cedar was used in the box and I find it very distracting. I would have limited its use to the doors and probably as inserts as panels.

I think the doors would be nice with mirrors on the inside and they would be more useful than the small circular one that is likely to be covered with necklace hoarding over the years.

However, it doesn't really matter what I think. It is awesome that your daughter is THRILLED to have it and that is what counts. I hope to one day build something like that for my daughter (she is 6 so I have some time, I think) and have her be as thrilled. How old is your daughter...might help me gauge when she really needs one.

Cheers :)

Brent Ring
03-20-2008, 11:14 AM
She is 15, and all of 15! :)

Ron Bontz
03-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Very nice. I like the book matching. I have been working on a design, off and on, for my daughter's 16th coming up in a year myself. I was wondering on height, width, and depth you used? Was the Mahogany for strength? Thanks, Ron

Brent Ring
03-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Great Idea about the mirrors on the doors. I like the cedar, but it is difficult to work with. Being a newb, I am learning what works well where. Thanks for the invite.

Brent Ring
03-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Height is about 20", Width is about 12", depth is about 6". I used the mahogany because it matched the cedar well, and I had run out of base cedar. She came out into the shop and begged for the cocobolo to be in to somewhere. Man is that stuff hard...

Doug Shepard
03-20-2008, 12:38 PM
If you made me one, I'd start wearing jewelry too:D
Very Nice.

Jim Becker
03-20-2008, 1:16 PM
Very nice....and the material really stands out. I'm glad that your daughter has put it to hard work, too! If I could only get mine to actually put jewelry in a jewelry box...LOL

Jim Barstow
03-20-2008, 1:54 PM
Does every father end up making a jewelery box for their daughter(s)? I know I did. (Mine is multi-drawer made out of canary wood.)

Don't let the other jewelery wearers in your family see it. Last christimas, I went into production mode and made 6 more (simplier) boxes. By the time I was done, I didn't want to make another jewelery box, ever.

Two months ago my wife mentioned that she needed another box for a bunch of jewelery she inherited. It was fun this time, since there was only one...