PDA

View Full Version : LN Carcass saw trouble?

Eric Hartunian
03-20-2008, 3:00 AM
Hi all,
I am having some trouble with my brand new LN carcass saw. 14ppi xcut, seems to want to jam in the kerf. It is sharp, and it doesn't seem to grab. The best way I can describe it is when the teeth get buried into the wood, it almost feels like the wood is swelling and creating enough resistance on the saw that it takes way too much effort to push it. The wood is dry, and I've tried several different pieces. I've also tried wax, with no real improvement.
This isn't my first saw, and while I never claim to be an expert, I sure know something isn't right here. Any thoughts?

Eric

Michael Fross
03-20-2008, 6:09 AM
What kind of wood are you cutting? My first thought was that it has a very shallow set and you might be binding up if you are using it on a soft of fairly wet wood.

However, I'm no saw expert.....

Michael

Alex Shanku
03-20-2008, 6:56 AM
Was there any build up on the teeth? I bought a Pax saw and it felt the same way. I rubbed the blade down with lacquer thinner and it cut great after that.

Michael Gibbons
03-20-2008, 7:19 AM
Send it back to LN and have them reset the teeth. Sounds like there is no set and the sawdust is jamming the blade.

Eric Hartunian
03-20-2008, 11:18 AM
I rubbed the saw with lacquer thinner before I used it the first time. I also waxed it, several times. I don't think there is buildup on the saw.
The wood is dry mahogany, so I don't think that is the problem.
I measured the set with a caliper, because I thought maybe the set wasn't enough. It is .026, which is what the LN pamphlet says is the correct amount.

I'll give them a call today and see what they say.

Thanks for the input.
Eric

gary Zimmel
03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
All LN saws are supposed to be tested before they are shipped.

This step may of been missed as it seem your saw was not set properly.

I would give them a call and send it back.

Matt Bickford
03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
my guess is that you're either forcing the saw and putting too much downward pressure or twisting the saw in the kerf.

Eric Hartunian
03-20-2008, 1:13 PM
Matt, this was my first thought as well. I was hoping the problem was me, then I could just work on technique. The problem is, you can't get the saw to move unless you put significant pressure on it. When I saw, I attempt to "lift" the saw by just a bit, so that my only movement is forward and back, thus the weight of the saw itself is the only downward pressure. That makes no difference with this saw.

Eric

my guess is that you're either forcing the saw and putting too much downward pressure or twisting the saw in the kerf.