PDA

View Full Version : Basic Lathe Questions

Terry Teadtke
03-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Two questions

Every once in a while I need a lathe to make round posts anywhere from 10- 30 inches long and 4-8 inches in diameter from glued up pieces. I don’t do bowl turning or anything fancy, just making square stock round. How does this Grizzly look as a basic lathe? http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Wood-Lathe/G1495 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Wood-Lathe/G1495)

My next question is I have the need to turn posts 60-70 inches long and 5 inches in diameter every once in a blue moon. Is there an extension for a lathe that I can purchase to increase the lathe’s length? If the Grizzly can’t be extended to 70 inches is there another lathe I should be looking at that does have that capability? I’ve considered a router lathe for long pieces but really don’t want to go that route.

Thanks

Terry

Joe Chritz
03-20-2008, 1:57 AM
I just started turning but it looks like a lathe that is over qualified for your needs and would do a very nice job.

Since a blue moon (new definition) only occurs less than once a year I would farm out the others when needed. Although if you have the room and money bigger is generally better. A 70" center to center is huge.

Some lathes have extensions and I bet with some ingenuity you could make one for that lathe.

Joe

Gordon Seto
03-20-2008, 8:21 AM
Pick something else, I wouldn't touch anything that has odd size spindle.
Go for 1¼" X 8 or 1" X 8 TPI only (the M33 is beyond this price range) and Morse Taper #2. You won't have problem finding accessories with these common sizes. When you upgrade, your accessories won't be obsolete.
3/4 hp on a 17" swing (over gap) is anemic. 500 slowest rpm for this size is way too fast.
A sander at the outboard side is a bad idea. You won't be able to use the knock out bar, and inexpensive vacuum chucking system. I would rather have a hand wheel instead. The gap bed is also an very old design. This is not a lathe designed by and for woodturner. Putting bells and whistles on outdated design is not the way to go. I predict it would have poor resale value. Grizzly has very fine products except lathes.
Look at the Nova 1624 with extensions. It may cost a little more, but it is a real lathe.

Terry Teadtke
03-20-2008, 3:08 PM
Thanks,

I'll keep looking and forget about a Grizzly lathe. I really like the Powermatic but can't see spending that kind of money for something I will only use once or twice a month.

Terry

Jim Becker
03-20-2008, 3:18 PM
Terry, see if you can find some "old iron" for your spindle turning needs. You may be able to get a machine for a reasonable price that has some nice weight and with a little bit of elbow grease, it will become a kewel addition to your shop.

On the really long stuff, the issue starts to become power, mass and rigidity. Most folks turning that kind of work (columns, etc.) are using big, heavy pattern lathes of old or extended high-end OneWay machines (or similar). Even a staved construction will become quite heavy when you get out to 5-7' long. That may be work to contract if you don't want to or can't make the investment to get a large machine to handle it properly and safely.

Terry Teadtke
03-20-2008, 3:46 PM
Thanks Jim. Sounds like that may be the way to go.

Terry

Terry Teadtke
03-20-2008, 7:05 PM
Would this Jet be a better choice than the Grizzly I was looking at? http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?nav=ByPart&ClassID=333132&Part=708360 (http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?nav=ByPart&ClassID=333132&Part=708360)

Again, I only need a lathe every once in a while and thought this may be the way to go.

Thanks

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2008, 7:28 PM
Terry there is no comparison. The Jet lathe is the way to go. The griz doesn't hold a candle to this lathe IMHO.

Terry Teadtke
03-20-2008, 7:35 PM
For some reason I seem to get Jet and Shop Fox confused probably due to the fact that they’re about the same color. Silly me! Anyway it looks like I can get a 57” bed extension with a leg so I turn longer stock on the rare occasion when I need to. All and all a pretty good compromise.

Terry

Gordon Seto
03-20-2008, 7:47 PM
The Jet 1642 is a much better lathe. It is currently on sale for under $1300 after rebate; a good value.

Jim Becker
03-20-2008, 8:17 PM
Yes, the Jet 1642 is an excellent machine and it does have enough weight and power (the 2hp version) to handle a reasonable amount of the longer pieces you talk about with the longer extension. I do suggest you bolt it down securely for your application.

Terry Teadtke
03-20-2008, 8:28 PM
It’s a good thing I ran my selections by all of you first or I would have ordered the Grizzly with some other Grizzly machines I’m planning on ordering. As for turning oversize pieces, the largest piece I am planning on turning is a 64”long piece of maple 5” wide from glued up 7/8ths stock. Most of the waste would be first trimmed off on my table saw so instead of turning a square 5” x 5” I would be turning a hexagon shaped piece which I don’t think would tax the Jet lath too terribly much. Again, I sincerely appreciate all the help and advice :o.

Terry

Bob Justin
03-20-2008, 8:35 PM
You have several good used machinery dealers in the Portland area worth checking out for used heavy iron.

I have the Jet 1642 EVS and its a great machine for what I need it to do but with what you are describing, I would make sure to use the cast in brackets and build a box shelf to hold several hundred pounds of sand or lead shot for added ballast between each set of legs. :)