PDA

View Full Version : Inca jointer question

Gary Sostrin
03-19-2008, 10:55 PM
For Inca 510 jointer/planer owners (in which I just became one), what do you use to lubricate the gears and the chain in the drive box? Looks like alot of plastic gears and cogs with one tension belt (probably keep this one dry) and one metal chain. Also do you use anything special for cleaning the aforementioned gears/chain/tension belt.

For the table can split-it be used instead of waxlit to keep it slippery?

Thanks

Gary Sostrin

Steve Roxberg
03-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Can't help with your questions, but there is a Inca machine for sale on the Kansas City Craigs list.

It seemed odd when I read the ad, but they claimed that it came with an extra gear box, and belts. Your statement might explain why he has two gear boxs, must have worn the gears out in the old one.

Donald Stanat
04-01-2008, 8:31 PM
For Inca 510 jointer/planer owners (in which I just became one), what do you use to lubricate the gears and the chain in the drive box? Looks like alot of plastic gears and cogs with one tension belt (probably keep this one dry) and one metal chain. Also do you use anything special for cleaning the aforementioned gears/chain/tension belt.

Thanks

Gary Sostrin

I have an Inca 550 that I bought new. The manual says to use lithium grease, which I have always done, but in my experience it gets thick after a while and has to be cleaned off, so I have no love for it in this application.

Any degreaseer can be used for cleaning, but it's not easy to do unless you unmount the gears and chain. This is not difficult with the 550; I don't know about yours. (I know of no instructions for taking it apart.)

The 550 has a tension belt and a round plastic or rubber round drive belt. Both should be kept dry.

I think any table lubricant will do -- waxlit is ok, but nothing special.

Phil Thien
04-01-2008, 8:39 PM

Thanks

Gary Sostrin

I don't see why not but Waxilit is pretty damn slippery (more slippery than other waxes I've tried) and handy as a glue release around the shop. One can goes a long way. Can be ordered from Lee Valley, so there is another plus (always find other things to add to the order).