PDA

View Full Version : Laminating discussion

Rick Gifford
03-19-2008, 8:13 PM
I do not have a vacuum press or pump. I have a project planned that will require some laminating.

I plan to laminate spalted maple veneer onto birch plywood.

Clamps I have, a press I dont. What is the old school method to get the job done?

Joe Chritz
03-19-2008, 8:19 PM
Lots of cauls and lots of clamps.

How much do you have to do? It may be worth looking into a vacuum bag setup if it is any amount at all.

Joe

Rick Gifford
03-19-2008, 8:37 PM
It will be a poker table, with the general design like the image below. The wood showing on the top will be spalted veneer. Each section/side is built seperately and the the whole assembly is put together as a ring.

So it would be 24" by 8" sections.

Bert Johansen
03-19-2008, 8:43 PM
Bubba clamp. See link below

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77421

Joe Chritz
03-19-2008, 9:21 PM
Bubba clamp would work or that is small enough to use a piece of 3/4 mdf for a sandwich and a bunch of clamps. They should reach in enough to work.

I have built several tables. If you are looking for foam and fabric check yourautotrim.com. 1/4 volara foam plays very nice. I use moleskin from Joann fabric locally for the surface. Velveteen or suited speed cloth are also nice. The speed cloth is almost nylon like and not as soft as the velveteen.

Moleskin has held up to hundreds of hours of play, lots of spilled drinks and is in new shape. You definiately want closed cell foam for the play surface for the spilled beer.

I'm looking forward to the finished pics. I love building poker tables. I was a player back before it was cool.

Joe

William OConnell
03-19-2008, 11:13 PM
I do not have a vacuum press or pump. I have a project planned that will require some laminating.

I plan to laminate spalted maple veneer onto birch plywood.

Clamps I have, a press I dont. What is the old school method to get the job done?
A jointed flat board with a heavy weight on it.
True story here. I went to a seminar and then lunch with the veneer foreman from Steinway pianos. These are $500,000 Pianos mind you. He was a big fan of MDF with steel bars on top of it. He said he uses that more than any other technique. Its simple physics really. we like to complicate it as woodworkers with sub atomic particle colliders to drive a nail.
While Im on it NASA spent several hundred thousand dollars in Research and developement on a pen that could write in a zero gravity enviroment,
The Russians sent a pencil
Be Well Rick

Mike Henderson
03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
While Im on it NASA spent several hundred thousand dollars in Research and developement on a pen that could write in a zero gravity enviroment,
The Russians sent a pencil
Be Well Rick
That's an urban legend. See here (http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp).

Mike

Lance Norris
03-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Contact cement.

Rick Gifford
03-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm looking forward to the finished pics. I love building poker tables. I was a player back before it was cool.

Joe

And you still have money left for woodworking? :o

lol

Actually that bubba clamp could work. I have a wifey clamp. Oh dear Lord I didnt say that out loud did I? Good thing she don't read these forums :eek: just kidding dear in case your radar went off.

Hey if direct pressure with weights works for Steinway half million dollar pianos then it'll work for Rick Giffords half a buck woodworking.

I appreciate the replies!

I have some time before I start this project. I am getting ready to partition the basement to give my oldest a bedroom and free one up for the grandbaby.

There is enough room left over down there I have claimed it as my poker room. Table will seat 10, and I want the round style for easy dealing for everyone.

I am in touch with a gent that has some Ambrosia spalted maple for $3 BF. If it's as nice as he says I'll be taking all he has :D

Greg Cole
03-20-2008, 8:55 AM
Rick,
One of the recent articles I read was about veneering without a press...
Basically use TB1 or 2 to coat the veneer & substrate and let the glue set. The place the veneer on the substrate and heat it with an iron to reactivate the glue.
Not sure how well that would go for a table top of any size..... but from a post I asked about that method, seems like it works. Mario Rodriguez is a proponent of this method from what someone posted FWIW.
I'm going to give it a shot soon just for the heckuvit.

Cheers.
Greg

Peter Quinn
03-20-2008, 9:10 AM
Check FWW #108 for Mario Rodriguez article on iron veneer technique. I believe he actually used TB III in the article as it cross links and is less prone to creep over time, though also less reparable and has a shorter open time. I would use a water proof glue and an alcohol proof finish on a gaming table.

The iron on thing sounds crazy until it is explained, then it becomes intriguing. Apperantly it works with all three types of PVA (type I, II, or III) but each has different open times and properties depending on your application and needs. Its worth a read.