PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a new saw...

Mike Gabbay
03-19-2008, 7:58 PM
After months of agonizing and research, I finally ordered my cabinet saw. I got a General 650 3hp single phase. It should be here in a couple of weeks.

I spent about an hour talking to the General rep (Joe) at the last WW show in Chantilly. He was extremely helpful.

I looked at the PM2000 and the new Jet. Overall, I thought the General had a better fit/finish, and the castings and Baldor motor should last a lifetime, especially with my usage.

So now I need someone to buy my contractor saw listed in the classifieds! ;)

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 8:00 PM
Congratulations, Mike! That's a very nice machine and will be a joy to use for years and years!

gary Zimmel
03-19-2008, 8:11 PM
Sweet saw.... Congrats. Get us some pictures when you get your new toy.

Jim O'Dell
03-19-2008, 8:14 PM
Congrats! I looked at that saw at the local shows a year ago, and thought, "If I only had the bucks....". I agree, it is very nice. And on the contractor saw, save it for daddo cuts, and use it as your outfeed table! :D Jim.

Mike Gabbay
03-19-2008, 8:35 PM
Jim O. - I would keep the contractor saw if I had the room!

Jim B. - I plan on putting it in my will.

Pictures will be posted as soon as it arrives. Now the fun part.... getting it into my basement! :eek:

Dave Verstraete
03-19-2008, 9:09 PM
Mike
Congrats on the new saw. You'll enjoy a cabinet saw and you are right about putting it in the will.

I also am in the basement with my shop. I always rent or borrow an appliance dolly. It really helps! It creates more handles for your buddies to grab on to as they move the saw in position while you set up the "cold ones" to deal with their thirst.

Greg Cole
03-19-2008, 9:14 PM
Very nice! I have the General contractor offering and it's served me very well, I've also had hands on the 650 in use... very sweet indeed.

Congrats.

Greg

glenn bradley
03-19-2008, 9:22 PM
Good choice. There are many fine saws out there in that range. I think you will be very happy.

Brian Effinger
03-19-2008, 9:42 PM
Mike
Congrats on the new saw. You'll enjoy a cabinet saw and you are right about putting it in the will.

I also am in the basement with my shop. I always rent or borrow an appliance dolly. It really helps! It creates more handles for your buddies to grab on to as they move the saw in position while you set up the "cold ones" to deal with their thirst.

I like that! Let your friends do all of the manual labor, while you "supervise" :D I'll have to remember that when I get my saw.

Simon Dupay
03-20-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm GREEN with envy!
I've always wanted a pm66 but lately I find myself wanting a general 350/650 instead.:D

John Thompson
03-20-2008, 1:17 AM
Very well built saw indeed... I would like to have the saw in 5 hp single phase, but my wife makes me use the 3 HP I have. :)

Sarge..

Walt Caza
03-20-2008, 4:07 AM
Congrats Mike,
That is a great cabinet saw!
You just gotta love the way they are put together...
Walt

Michael Gibbons
03-20-2008, 7:05 AM
Pizza and beer always helps get iron moved.:D