PDA

View Full Version : Project suggestions for a 10 year old.

Toney Robertson
03-19-2008, 7:42 PM
Last weekend I ask my great nephew if he would like to learn how to turn wood. I think he is old enough and he seemed enthusiastic to learn.

What project would you recommend?

For a child that age I think he needs immediate feedback. Something he can take home and show his parents.

Would you recommend that he scrape at first? Maybe less of a chance of catches?

What do you think? I obviously want this to be a positive experience.

I also know that it might be considered child abuse to submit him to the vortex. VBG.

Toney

Pete Jordan
03-19-2008, 7:48 PM
Toney,

I started with finger tops with my kids.

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 7:56 PM
Tops are one idea as are pens. When I taught a local "Hands On Workshop" session for our AAW chapter, the one 10 year old I had did an amazing job on a simple bowl using my Ellsworth gouge. It was mostly a matter of getting his height adjusted to the lathe for proper orientation. (I built a simple platform) Then we covered body movement just like David Ellsworth does and did a 4" bowl. As I'm not a big fan of scrapers, I never showed him how to use one...we went right to the gouge and there were no catches that day.

Brodie Brickey
03-19-2008, 8:17 PM
Last year the AAW Symposium's Youth Program had classes for the items below:

Spin Top with Chatterwork

Egg Cup
CD Spinning Top
Gavel heads
Gavels handles
Baseball Bat Pen
Honey Dipper Other than those, baby rattles, snow men, and ornaments come to mind.

Norris Randall
03-19-2008, 8:19 PM
How about letting him start with a baseball bat?
Full size or mini would give him a chance to feel the thrill while watching the bat take shape.

Or you can "bowl" him over.:D

PS while I'm here can someone tell me if I have to change my "Member" to "Contributor" or will that be done when my donation accepted?

Les Kuesel
03-19-2008, 8:48 PM
How about a magic wand (like a Harry Potters) He will see how wood can be transformed into something magical.

Clem Wixted
03-19-2008, 9:07 PM
I "helped" my 8 year old grandson make a handle for a 6 in 1 screwdriver. I used a plastic handled 6 in 1 screwdriver that I removed the plastic handle from. I drilled the wood for the insert.

I helped him turn the handle and let him do all of the sanding, all 8 grades of it. He buffed it and assembled the screwdriver. It took about 45 minutes and he "uses" it a lot and whenever a screwdriver is needed he's right there. That was his birthday outing with me.

Not a challenging turning task but a great introduction, and he has a useful tool.

Clem

John Yogus
03-19-2008, 9:31 PM
I second the pens and baseball bat. I currently have a few bat billets I'm working on for friends. You can find some good quality billets relatively cheap. I think it would be great for a kid. Plus, it's great when you take it to the batting cage and use it.

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 10:10 PM
How about a magic wand (like a Harry Potters) He will see how wood can be transformed into something magical.

This actually is a project that is more difficult for someone new to turning because of the vibration aspects that you get with thin spindles. I've done three of them and found it to be quite challenging, even with a steady rest!

Dick Strauss
03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
How about the classic ball in a cup toy like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_in_a_cup?

Maybe you can make a whirly gig, a spinning top with launcher, a yoyo,...

Here's a picture from our " Toys for Tots" turning program for some other ideas:
http://www.miohwoodturners.org/December2007_Meeting_Pics/H5_C082425.JPG

I hope this helps!

Toney Robertson
03-20-2008, 7:07 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have never done a pen so maybe that would not be the best project to start him with since I would not know what I was doing! LOL

I like the bat idea since his little league team is just starting to practice. Or it might be a good idea to have him turn a small bat at first.

Anyone have an idea where you can find ash blanks?

Toney

John Taylor
03-20-2008, 8:56 AM
HI

Something I find youngsters always like to turn are mushrooms.

john

Fred LeBail
03-20-2008, 9:30 AM
When I was about that age my father got me started turning . My first projects were handles for his files and rasps. He showed me how to shape the handle and measure for the ferrel , which was some copper pipe. As soon as the first one was done he showed me how to put the file in. Instant gratification !!!
Although he has passed some of those handles are still on his files.

Tim Thomas
03-20-2008, 9:34 AM

Rockler sells them:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1711

I've never bought one of these, so I don't know anything about them from personal experience. The price seems a bit steep since they contain only about 2.5 board feet of wood. I'm sure you can probably find a better deal, but this is an easy option. The Rockler blanks are available in both ash and maple.

Toney Robertson
03-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Last year the AAW Symposium's Youth Program had classes for the items below:

Spin Top with Chatterwork

Egg Cup
CD Spinning Top
Gavel heads
Gavels handles
Baseball Bat Pen
Honey Dipper Other than those, baby rattles, snow men, and ornaments come to mind.

I like the honey dipper idea. That way he could give it to his mom.

What is a CD spinning top?

Toney

Bill Stevener
03-20-2008, 6:28 PM
My question is: Do you feel that you are a qualified instructor to be teaching a 10 year old wood turning??

To start, that requires an honest answer.;)

Brodie Brickey
03-20-2008, 6:57 PM
If anyone is attending the AAW Symposium this year, I highly recommend volunteering for a session with the Youth Instruction group.

I volunteered last year and learned a lot of new turning tricks, as well as good methods of instruction from Nick Cook & Bonnie Klein. Its a lot of fun if you like youngsters and only takes about an hour and a half out of all the various sessions that are offered.

An example of one of the tricks was when roughing a spindle, if you thought it was smooth, you could lay the gouge body on the spinning spindle. If it popped up or chattered, you had more to go, if not ... by golly it was smooth!

John Yogus
03-20-2008, 7:55 PM

I get mine from this site www.gonebatty.com (http://www.gonebatty.com) He has a few different grades and sizes to work with. I believe they offer a youth length billet. It's been a great company to deal with. Here is an example of the wood you'll get from him. These are all ash. The middle one is a poor attempt to flame the bat.

Toney Robertson
03-20-2008, 8:19 PM
My question is: Do you feel that you are a qualified instructor to be teaching a 10 year old wood turning??

To start, that requires an honest answer.;)

No, I am not a qualified instructor. So I guess I should not continue.

Bill Stevener
03-20-2008, 9:21 PM
No, I am not a qualified instructor. So I guess I should not continue. My question reads on "to be teaching a 10 year old wood turning??

I think it would be very advantageous to join a local wood turning club and bring your young friend along. I bet he would enjoy that very much and get a lot out of the experiences there. Some very talented folks would be more than happy to help you out. In time you both will gain a lot, and more than likely wind up teaching each other a few tricks.

Best of luck with your adventure,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:D

Toney Robertson
03-20-2008, 9:49 PM
My question reads on "to be teaching a 10 year old wood turning??

I think it would be very advantageous to join a local wood turning club and bring your young friend along. I bet he would enjoy that very much and get a lot out of the experiences there. Some very talented folks would be more than happy to help you out. In time you both will gain a lot, and more than likely wind up teaching each other a few tricks.

Best of luck with your adventure,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:D

The "local" turning club is over an hour away. Not really an option for someone that is ten and has a ten year olds patience.

Toney

Bill Stevener
03-20-2008, 10:09 PM
I am sure some other folks will chime in to help you out with your situation.

Again the best of luck, with what you are trying to do.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Cary Swoveland
03-21-2008, 1:10 AM
I recall a woodworking project I had when I was ten. It was just before Thanksgiving. All the boys in my fifth grade class made wooden muskets. Times have changed, eh?

I wonder if a pepper mill would be too ambitious? The advantage is that it would be used by the family on a daily basis, and no doubt mention would be made to visitors that he made it. That should put a smile on his face. If that would be too complicated, maybe some other practical item that would see regular use.

There's a nice, short article on making a pepper mill by Nick Cook. Goggling on

"pepper mill" "nick cook"

will bring it up.

Cary

Bill Stevener
03-21-2008, 8:06 AM
I recall a woodworking project I had when I was ten. It was just before Thanksgiving. All the boys in my fifth grade class made wooden muskets. Times have changed, eh?

My Daughter, when she was 10, as well as myself, long before I was 10 had been into making wood working projects.
The BIG difference was the fact that we were INSTRUCTED by (if I may use the term) a Qualified INSTRUCTOR.
You may have had a knowledge instructor to provide you with guidance in the making of your musket, I'm sure. Did you use a wood lathe?? The subject of the discussion at hand??

Teaching someone to use a wood lathe and teaching someone to play the game of checkers are two different objectives. The game of checkers will not kill you, however a wood lathe in the hands of a person, wishing to provide instruction, not yet fully knowledge in its use may cause serious bodily injury, or worse yet a fatality.

To be frank, it is rather risky to have the blind leading the blind in a mater of this magnitude, if you care at all.

Now if you have any thing else to add to this subject that may be of some assistance to the gentleman,, like who can help him in his local area, I am sure he would love to hear about it. eh. :mad::mad:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>

Greg Just
03-21-2008, 9:13 AM
My ten (actually 9 at the time) year olds first project was a pen. It was one he was going to keep so it kept his attention and it didn't take too long to finish.

Cary Swoveland
03-21-2008, 11:46 AM
...Now if you have any thing else to add to this subject that may be of some assistance to the gentleman,, like who can help him in his local area, I am sure he would love to hear about it. eh. :mad::mad:
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>
Don't blow a gasket, Bill. The point of my post was to suggest making a pepper mill, or some other useful item that would see frequent use.

My mention of the musket was merely an aside. (We used only hand tools--no shop class in the fifth grade--and used a piece of dowel for the barrel.) When I said times have changed, I was asking if one could imagine kids nowadays making toy guns at school.

Cary

Bill Stevener
03-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Sorry for not getting the jest of your post.

The gentleman has stated that he does not have the knowledge to teach a 10 year old wood turning, which I observed as very obvious during the review of this thread. Thus my request for someone to provide him with some local assistance with his desire to include his young friend in to the world of wood turning.

Not to knock it, but I think a pepper mill would be totally out of the question at this time.:)

Bill.>>>>>>>>

curtis rosche
03-21-2008, 2:28 PM
i would say a baseball bat just because it has some size to it so the turning with a tool part it longer and it doeant seeem like the sanding take so long for him to do. i first tunred a bat it was easy and fun. i wouldnt use ash to start with though, right now i am making a wine rack out of ash and its is some hard wood, every time i use something on it it tend to smoke in one way or another. i would use some thing easier like pine or maple. just dont make him sand it past 220 or he may not see the point and loose intrest. plus if he uses it itll get scuffed up anyway you shouldnt need to help him much with it just show him the basic tool and then let him play with it and learn what works best ex. how hard to press, the angle, just make sure your watching closely so that theres no danger ....... i know a couple of people who just started out with a log and just made chips to have fun using different tools and learn what works best for each tool

Barry Elder
03-21-2008, 3:30 PM
Toney, I admire your enthusiasm and desire to teach. How about a phone call to that club that is an hour away. They might have a member who lives 10 minutes from you! You would be surprised how cooperative woodturners are when it comes to helping another woodturner. Give it a try!

Kevin Newman
03-21-2008, 6:35 PM
I have a 8 year old son, almost 9, that I started out on a blank spindle. I rounded the blank and let him practice using several tools on a spindle blank(while I supervise of course). He loved it. When he was done he didnt necessarily have anything functional, but he had something he made and was very proud of it.

Greg Cuetara
03-21-2008, 8:55 PM
The BIG difference was the fact that we were INSTRUCTED by (if I may use the term) a Qualified INSTRUCTOR....To be frank, it is rather risky to have the blind leading the blind in a mater of this magnitude, if you care at all.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>

I guess my first question Bill is do you feel qualified enough to be giving advice on this forum.

Toney I think it is very admirable to want to introduce your great nephew to the world of woodworking and turning. IMHO turning, although not 100% safe, is probably one of the safer forms of woodworking for kids. I would certinally not try to show or tell anyone to show their child how to use a table saw or chop saw or anything with a blade. If you know safety with the lathe and take the time for the getgo to go over what to do and not to do around tools it will be a good learning experience. Face shield, safety glasses, no long sleeves, make sure your tools are sharp. I have a set of mini tools from woodcraft. They are smaller and dont' take off too much wood and would be good for a child. I am sure others on here could give you advice on how to teach but IMHO you don't need to take a class with a professional in order to be safe and not kill yourself.

If you have never used a lathe before and want to teach someone then I do agree that is a bad idea and it would be the "blind leading the blind." How much experience do you have on the lathe? I have only turned a dozen pens a few wands and a few other things and I think I could put my nephew on the lathe and teach him the safety involved. IMO most safety is common sense and not doing anything stupid...and yes common sense and not doing stupid things need to be taught to children.

I was going to suggest a wand but thinking about it more it is a lot of work and you would have to do some of it. Maybe a spin top which would be simple to get going and once you both get more comfortable you can tackle bigger projects. One suggestion I do have is to figure out what you want to do and then turn the piece just like you would have him do. See how long it takes and if you need any special tools and if you can use easier tools, ie can you only use a smaller gouge...maybe a round nose scraper...I would not think a skew would be anything you should be trying to teach him how to use just yet.

If you are not comfortable teaching him how to use a lathe safely then please don't. If you think you can I would say take all safety precautions and go for it. If at any time you get a funny feeling or something is wrong stop and there will always be another day.

Kevin has some great advice. Maybe the first few times just turn some wood round.

Good Luck,
Greg

Toney Robertson
03-21-2008, 9:35 PM
I guess my first question Bill is do you feel qualified enough to be giving advice on this forum.

Toney I think it is very admirable to want to introduce your great nephew to the world of woodworking and turning. IMHO turning, although not 100% safe, is probably one of the safer forms of woodworking for kids. I would certinally not try to show or tell anyone to show their child how to use a table saw or chop saw or anything with a blade. If you know safety with the lathe and take the time for the getgo to go over what to do and not to do around tools it will be a good learning experience. Face shield, safety glasses, no long sleeves, make sure your tools are sharp. I have a set of mini tools from woodcraft. They are smaller and dont' take off too much wood and would be good for a child. I am sure others on here could give you advice on how to teach but IMHO you don't need to take a class with a professional in order to be safe and not kill yourself.

If you have never used a lathe before and want to teach someone then I do agree that is a bad idea and it would be the "blind leading the blind." How much experience do you have on the lathe? I have only turned a dozen pens a few wands and a few other things and I think I could put my nephew on the lathe and teach him the safety involved. IMO most safety is common sense and not doing anything stupid...and yes common sense and not doing stupid things need to be taught to children.

I was going to suggest a wand but thinking about it more it is a lot of work and you would have to do some of it. Maybe a spin top which would be simple to get going and once you both get more comfortable you can tackle bigger projects. One suggestion I do have is to figure out what you want to do and then turn the piece just like you would have him do. See how long it takes and if you need any special tools and if you can use easier tools, ie can you only use a smaller gouge...maybe a round nose scraper...I would not think a skew would be anything you should be trying to teach him how to use just yet.

If you are not comfortable teaching him how to use a lathe safely then please don't. If you think you can I would say take all safety precautions and go for it. If at any time you get a funny feeling or something is wrong stop and there will always be another day.

Kevin has some great advice. Maybe the first few times just turn some wood round.

Good Luck,
Greg

Greg,

I started turning wood 35+ years ago when I was in high school. Spindles only and was self taught, which means standing at the lathe and trying to figure out what works. WAY before the net and most other information that is available today. Mostly scraping. Never did perfect cutting and had NEVER heard of riding the bevel but I could usually get the job done. Back then I was REALLY into turning candle holders.

During college the turning took a back seat to women. You have to have your priorities. VBG

After college I turned infrequently. Kids, coaching and family life were vastly more important.

Fast forward to last summer, The kids are gone, empty nest rears it's ugly head so I bought a better lathe and started to study how to do it right. Bill, Jimmy and Raffan's DVD's. Turned my first bowl in February.

I think a bat would be the perfect starter. Not much in regards to fancy cuts and it would be functional since baseball is starting.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Toney

Greg Cuetara
03-21-2008, 9:51 PM
Toney,
I think a bat would be a great project. I still remember I went to a local bat maker when I was in Little League and was fasinated how a block of wood went in and a bat came out. I think it would have been a really fun project to actually make one. The only sad thing about a wooden bat is when you break the first one you got or made.
Take some pictures and let us know how it goes.
Greg

Toney Robertson
03-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Toney,
I think a bat would be a great project. I still remember I went to a local bat maker when I was in Little League and was fasinated how a block of wood went in and a bat came out. I think it would have been a really fun project to actually make one. The only sad thing about a wooden bat is when you break the first one you got or made.
Take some pictures and let us know how it goes.
Greg

Greg,

It would probably be difficult for a 10 year old to break a bat plus it probably would not be used in a game since a wooded bat puts the kid at a GREAT disadvantage. AL. just has too much pop.

I will ask Derreck if he wants to do this and if he does I will take some pictures and post them.

Toney