PDA

View Full Version : Universal Lasers

Jorge Alanis
03-19-2008, 6:28 PM
Hello, This is my first post here...I just found these forums but they look very active.

I'm being offered a new V460 installed, etc for (29,500 dlls + tax), with the 60watt laser (ouch). I have seen in the ULS site the new PLS series. How much is a PLS 4.60 in the US? I think the distributor is trying to poke the eyes off me. I dont want to buy a discontinued product, but then maybe she will add 10k more for being a PLS. What would you do in my position?

Thanks and greetings from Mexico.

Jorge

Scott Shepherd
03-19-2008, 6:51 PM
Shop around.

Peter Vasic
03-19-2008, 6:53 PM
Hi Jorge,

Who is your distributor?

The price sounds excellent for a 60 W Universal, However, check out Epilog, GCC and Xenetech as well.

Think of it this way. Chevrolet are running out their 2007 model because the 2008 is coming in, would you be too afraid of buying the 2007 model because the 2008 is being introduced?

The V460 was the mainstay of their systems for a number of years , so spares and tech help will be around for a long time, you will probably wear the machine out before, parts become a question of redundancy.

The machine is efficient, fast, has good capabilities and will do most every aspect of laser engraving you could require..

After checking other brands..I'd say you are on a winner with that machine.

regards
Peter

Mike Mackenzie
03-19-2008, 9:52 PM
Jorge,

What part of Mexico are you in? PM me and I can help you.

Jim Watkins
03-20-2008, 12:58 AM
There is an epilog distributer here in Orange County. They are located in Costa Mesa and are great people to work with. I value the deal they gave me and would recommend them to anyone.

I don't know if I can post their website here, I don't want to get into trouble. If you google "cutting edge systems", you will find them. Ask for Steve and tell him I referred you.

Peck Sidara
03-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Removed by Peck Sidara

Jorge Alanis
03-20-2008, 3:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Peck, I know about the customs stuff, and I certainly know all the other hassles involved. My question was more on saying, "Im getting a V460 for xxx" and hear a comparison for a pls4.60. Right now the distributor is telling me the V460 is a more stable machine, that the PLS is having some minor problems, firmware revisions, etc. But I dont know what to make of this, as it sounds as "buy my stock". I just dont want to buy the 2004 model at 2008 price.

Jorge Alanis
03-20-2008, 3:50 PM
From Monterrey, Nuevo León. Near the border of Laredo.

Scott Shepherd
03-20-2008, 4:54 PM
Right now the distributor is telling me the V460 is a more stable machine, that the PLS is having some minor problems, firmware revisions, etc. But I dont know what to make of this, as it sounds as "buy my stock". I just dont want to buy the 2004 model at 2008 price.

My PLS4.60 runs and runs and runs. Not sure what minor problems he's talking about, but I love it and it's worked exceptionally well. Hasn't been down 5 minutes due to any "issues" in 6 months or so since we got it. No tech support calls for help (other than asking general questions) and no parts needed to be flown in to get it running properly.

Peck Sidara
03-20-2008, 5:20 PM
My bad Jorge. I misread your post as being a purchase in U.S. or Mexico and/or purchase thru local or U.S. rep comparision. :confused:

Bob Cole
03-21-2008, 1:24 AM
The drivers for the PLS are much nicer and graphical. There is a job estimator function that would be helpful that I don't have. I chose the "older" style due to the cost and I liked the fact that the system has its own memory instead of a small buffer on the machine along with sharing memory with your pc (PLS).

Your quoted cost seems a little high. If it includes blower, air-assist, grid, and other goodies, the price may be reasonable.

Zvi Grinberg
03-21-2008, 3:32 AM
The drivers for the PLS are much nicer and graphical. There is a job estimator function that would be helpful that I don't have.

The newest version now has some more goodies such as moving the geometry of a done job, dragging by mouse or to cariage location. Easily edit job parameters and manage library of materials - including adding your custom materials.

I chose the "older" style due to the cost and I liked the fact that the system has its own memory instead of a small buffer on the machine along with sharing memory with your pc (PLS).

By all means this is an advantage.
When you have internal memory - that's all you'll ever get. If you ever try to upgrade the memory - provided space available on the internal board - it would be a challenge in a few years, and if you do find new compatible memory - it would cost much more than standard computer memory. Much more than upgrading your PC.

With the PLS you use the unlimited resources of the computer. The PC is not dedicated to the laser machine, and you can use it for other tasks (we for example can send a job to the laser, and at the same time print models) on our Color 3D Printers.
Every job is stored on your desktop's disk, and accessible (to modify parameters or to select the stored jobs) both from the user interface or from your machine's control panel.

The beauty of this arrangement is that when you upgrade a computer from time to time (faster CPU, more memory, larger disk), you actually enhance the resources for the laser machine.

Scott Shepherd
03-23-2008, 12:03 PM
There was a SUBSTANTIAL summer discount on the V460 last summer. All the shows will fire up here shortly and the discounts will be back. I'd be pretty hot if I paid $29,000 for a machine and saw it on sale next month for $21,000.

I don't know anything about the customs costs, but I do know that I had a V460 quoted at the same time as my PLS and the price difference was minimal after the discounts were applied. I think the V460 had 5 watts more power on the unit they were pushing last summer.

Scott Shepherd
04-07-2008, 8:18 AM
That's exactly why I tell people to take samples to dealers and make them run what you plan to run. Watching a demo and saying "where do I sign" appears to be the norm for buying lasers. There is no substitute for seeing your own products run on a laser. Laser sales people get paid to sell you a system that works, but only you know your plans for it. Make them work for their money, make them make a jig or two and make them run your products. If they won't, then don't buy from them.