PDA

View Full Version : Tapered saw blades

Brian Hale
03-19-2008, 5:47 PM
Is there an advantage to having a saw with a tapered blade, ie: taller at the handle than the tip? Almost seems like might cut a bit quicker but i'm not sure. Would it be easier to finish the cut with the bottom of the kerf flat?

TIA!

Brian :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2008, 6:32 PM
I can't see any advantage.
Assuming one isn't rocking the blade the bottom of the kerf should be flat.

Joel Moskowitz
03-19-2008, 6:48 PM
for smaller saws it's a big advantage
read this:
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Tapered+Sawblades+Thats+Not+A+Defect+Its+A+Feature .aspx

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Nice link joel thanks. Interesting that the forward slope of a tenon or DT saw would indeed cause you to default to a more shallow cut on the rear of the board.

I noticed that I didn't see a positive rake tooth on that linked to site.
My Dissiton has a positive rake to the teeth.
They were punched mechanically, I am most sure.

Do you suppose that the rake is the result of the mere fact that the files available for toothing a saw were
all triangular historically?

I'm playing now at toothing a DT saw blade.

I have been trying to get a positive rake on a 20 PPI. It's been a real challenge. Laying the triangular file over far enough to get the rake I want is proving to be a real bugger. It has driven me to seek out other file patterns

Trying to use those other pattern files is showing me that:
1.) I'll end up using more than one file on each tooth (to get the positive rake)
2.) the work of toothing will take more than twice as long than using a triangular file
3.) the multiple attack with more than one file will introduce more potential for error.

ERGO: When hand toothing the triangular file may be best so long as you aren't trying to get positive rake.

Which leads me to wonder if the rake is a default imposed by the tools available to the hand filer or if there is some inherent advantage to a Zero Rake over a Positive Rake on the teeth of a DT saw.

Jim Koepke
03-20-2008, 11:35 AM
I noticed that I didn't see a positive rake tooth on that linked to site.
My Dissiton has a positive rake to the teeth.
They were punched mechanically, I am most sure.

Do you suppose that the rake is the result of the mere fact that the files available for toothing a saw were
all triangular historically?

I'm playing now at toothing a DT saw blade.

I have been trying to get a positive rake on a 20 PPI. It's been a real challenge. Laying the triangular file over far enough to get the rake I want is proving to be a real bugger. It has driven me to seek out other file patterns

Trying to use those other pattern files is showing me that:
1.) I'll end up using more than one file on each tooth (to get the positive rake)
2.) the work of toothing will take more than twice as long than using a triangular file
3.) the multiple attack with more than one file will introduce more potential for error.

ERGO: When hand toothing the triangular file may be best so long as you aren't trying to get positive rake.

Which leads me to wonder if the rake is a default imposed by the tools available to the hand filer or if there is some inherent advantage to a Zero Rake over a Positive Rake on the teeth of a DT saw.

Check this site and scroll about half way down to find the Rake Alignment Tool:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=main&right=/library/library.html

You will likely give yourself a good old fashioned fore head slap when you see how simple it is.

jim

Michael Faurot
03-20-2008, 1:00 PM
Check this site and scroll about half way down to find the Rake Alignment Tool:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=main&right=/library/library.html

That site does some stuff with frames or other such that the URL you mention just takes one to the main page. The URL that's actually needed is:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

From there, scroll down until you see a section entitled: Making a Rake Alignment Jig

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-20-2008, 3:57 PM
Slap