PDA

View Full Version : Variation on a theme- ice cream mould

Darren Null
03-19-2008, 5:06 PM
I remembered to get pictures of the mould this time. I shan't bother you with the CDR file- it's exactly the same principle as the chocolate mould and you have to make your own anyway...custom is the point.

I did the graphic bit to a depth of about 1mm again, and it would be much simpler if my wussy machine could do more than 2mm acrylic with any degree of success.

With modern soft-scoop ice cream, it doesn't work straight off- you have to squish it into the mould and freeze it.

If I'm there for the unveiling, I'll post a photo of the finished article.

Add a sprig of mint and a possibly a waffle, and you have a seriously smug dessert for dinner parties; even if you never sell any.

Dan Hintz
03-19-2008, 7:59 PM
I give you a major thumbs up on this one, Darren. I'm still waiting on $300 in Cat6 cabling to come in so I can finish wiring my new workshop (and the rest of the house), and until then my laser and vinyl cutter are sitting on the floor unused :( I'm giddy about some new ideas I want to try, and I just added this to the top of my list. Until then, I'm forced to eat my homemade ice cream scoop by mundane scoop.

Darren Null
03-19-2008, 8:33 PM
Home made ice cream. nyum nyum nyum. Home made might work without freezing.

Dee Gallo
03-19-2008, 8:48 PM
That is wicked cool, Darren! Could this be another wedding theme item? You guys are so inventive, it's inspirational for us beginners.

Thanks, dee

Darren Null
03-20-2008, 11:42 AM
UPDATE: This mould doesn't work AT ALL with modern soft-scoop ice cream- you need one of the more traditional ones that freezes harder.

Dan Hintz
03-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Darren,

Might I suggest layering something in the relief portion of the mold first, such as chocolate? A very thin layer of chocolate will give you the definition you want while still allowing for the use of a thicker, more traditional ice cream to fill the mold. You don't have to worry about air bubbles.

Darren Null
03-21-2008, 1:41 AM
That would work. And I suppose you can't go wrong with ice cream and chocolate. Bit high maintenance for commercial ice cream shops though.

The problem would seem to be whatever additive that keeps ice cream gloopy fresh from the freezer is also very sticky, so it clings to the mould.

Christian Kaplan
03-21-2008, 5:55 AM
I think this can be also use for ice cubes. Make so your own pictures and cliparts for your drinks and cocktails.:cool: