PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Box for my Friends Ashes

Jerry Todd
03-19-2008, 4:21 PM
A good friend asked me to build a cherry box for his ashes. He passed away in an automobile accident this last January. I delivered the box to his widow this afternoon. She was pleased with the results.
Al & I spent a lot of time together on motorcycles.

Duncan Potter
03-19-2008, 4:23 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, but it seems like it's nice to be able to make a personal gesture for your friend.

Did you get the photo made in any special way so as to be permanent?

alex grams
03-19-2008, 4:26 PM
First off, sorry for your loss, it never gets easy to lose someone close.

It looks nice and dignified. Must have been a very close friend in the first place to discuss plans for his remains.

I always thought a good piece of woodworking was more than just an item, but it was something that was a part of you that you created and put yourself into. You will always be able to remember your friendship with him when you look at that box, and I don't think there could be any thing better than that.

Matt Ellis
03-19-2008, 4:38 PM
for a little levity, what are you old guys doing on crotch rockets? :)

glad to see that you were able to do one final thing for your buddy. it looks really good!

-matt

Jerry Todd
03-19-2008, 4:49 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, but it seems like it's nice to be able to make a personal gesture for your friend.

Did you get the photo made in any special way so as to be permanent?

Duncan, I took a jpeg image to a shop in Gainesville Fl and he laser engraved the photo onto a metal plate. I have had this done several times and it seems to hold up well.
Jerry

Shawn Honeychurch
03-19-2008, 4:52 PM
for a little levity, what are you old guys doing on crotch rockets? :)

-matt

Since when is an FJ1300 considered a crotch rocket? :D

Matt Ellis
03-19-2008, 5:08 PM
meh, i am not a motorcycle guy. it is definitely not a cruiser though!

back on topic now.

-matt

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 5:12 PM
That's wonderful for you to do this for your friend's memory, Jerry.

J. Z. Guest
03-19-2008, 5:28 PM
Jerry, nice job.

Your friend had excellent taste in motorcycles as well. (from a fellow FJR owner)

OT: What kind of bike do (did) you ride? (you can reply via PM if you'd like to keep this thread on topic)

Brian Penning
03-19-2008, 5:42 PM
When I went with my mother to organize my parents funeral arrangements the funeral director told us that here in Quebec wooden urns are not permitted.
Any states have their own particular laws regarding this? I'm curious.

jason lambert
03-19-2008, 6:44 PM
Sorry to see another rider go, FJ1300 is a nice bike not a croch rocket. Anyhow nice job on the box looks classy.

Jeff Wright
03-19-2008, 6:52 PM
When I see the photo of your friend, it reminds me of how fragile life really is. Let's all go out and enjoy the moment . . . for a moment.