PDA

View Full Version : Best wood selection for a job site bookcase

Ed Lomax
03-19-2008, 4:19 PM
Hello, Everyone.

I am in the process of selecting wood for a "job-site" bookcase that I am building. This bookcase will hold carpentry and DIY homebuilding related books.
This bookcase will be approximately 36"HX28"WX10"D.

This bookcase will ultimately spend time indoors, but, initially, it will be with me in the great outdoors on the job site as I am building a rural cabin.

Any suggestions that you can provide in the area of wood species and/or bookcase design tips will be greatly appreciated.

Bert Johansen
03-19-2008, 5:00 PM
My one and only suggestion would be to build a small tool shed before anything else. Add a few plywood shelves for your woodworking books. Be sure to add a lock, as vandalism could put a dent in your pocket.

Last time I built such a tool shed I did it with a skill saw and pair of saw horses. made the footprint 48 x 96 and used a sheet of marine ply for the floor, sitting on leveled concrete blocks. Framed the sides with 2 x 10's and added T-111 for the sheathing. One door in front and one window in back completed the lower structure.

Instead of rafters I purchased a couple of 2x12 planks and made three triangles to span the width of the shed, plus 4 inches of overhang on each end.
OSB with felt and shingles completed the roof. Added some T-111 pieces for the gable ends, Hung the door and window and it was done. I did it in a weekend, and so can you.

J. Z. Guest
03-19-2008, 5:31 PM
I'd use Baltic Birch plywood with spar urethane finish.

FWIW - I built a book rack about that size that is held together with tusk tenons. (no glue!) Pretty classy. The plan was out of a Black & Decker project book. I liked the design so much, I made templates and cranked out about 4 of them.

All that's needed to build it is a drill and a jigsaw.

richard poitras
03-20-2008, 1:58 PM
One idea is just get some of those large plastic tubs with lids, you can take them any were, the lids keep them water tight, air tight and saw dust of off them and then after your cabin is done make a good finished book case, also them you can use the plastic tubs for other things at your cabin when you are not there that need to be seal so humidity and possible small rodent don’t get into them as well…good luck

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-20-2008, 4:00 PM
I like the idea of building a sturdy building first.
Job sites are great places to lose tools and other things.

For whatever reason the idea of locks being for honest people really does apply.