PDA

View Full Version : apple distortions

curtis rosche
03-19-2008, 3:49 PM
here is a small peice of apple i was playing with while waiting for the apple burl to dry this peice had been in dna for 4 days i started turning it yesterday i finished it to day and it has a light coat of water lox on every thing but the bottom

the thing started really warping the pictures dont show it to well but it is the walls are about 1/16 of an inch till 3/4 of the way down the side then the rest including the bottom is 1/8in figured id see what i could do and see what the wood would do

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 4:48 PM
Yea, species like wet apple and madrone can make some very lovely "changes" in shape...so much so that many folks will turn them really thin as you have, let them dry and then just hand-sand them. If you can get a look at the old Del Stubbs video, he does just that with apple. I haven't tried it yet, but want to one of these days when I can get back to turning...

curtis rosche
03-19-2008, 5:22 PM
yep certainly was funny turning it i got lazy and just used the parting tool it turns nice enough to through the shavings over your shoulder

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 7:58 PM
Hey, a sharp parting tool can be an excellent means to turning a lot of different things!

curtis rosche
03-19-2008, 8:46 PM
how come apple end grain turns fine like sand or power

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Curtis I need to ask a question. Are you taking the wood in this case the apple straight from the DNA to the lathe? When I soak my wood I wrap it and let it dry for at least 3 weeks or more. If you are taking it straight to the lathe your apple is not dry and will warp and crack. Just curious.

curtis rosche
03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
it went straight from the the dna to the lathe it did warp a lot but i thought it looked neat