PDA

View Full Version : Irwin Laser Attachment for Mitre Saws

Jeff Stempien
03-19-2008, 3:44 PM
Does anybody use one of these are they any good? Anthing better? Jeff

Rob Wright
03-19-2008, 5:08 PM
Jeff,

I have had one on my PC 12-inch miter saw for a couple of years. Works as advertised and have not had to replace the battery yet with hobby use. I am sometimes annoyed that it is only on the left side of the blade. I seem to always mark my wood from the right end to the left with a FastCap lefty/right tape measure because I find it more comfortable and accurate to measure that way and mark with my right hand. Well this method defeats the use of the laser since it is on the left side of the blade. I have seen a number of lasers that hook on the blade guard and show the kerk of the saw - but I was really never two impressed with them or the salesmen at the woodworking shows.

- Rob

Eric Haycraft
03-19-2008, 5:41 PM
I also have it and like it. The price was right and it is pretty accurate. Would I prefer a dual laser one, sure, but this gets the job done.

Bob Levy
03-19-2008, 7:04 PM
I tried the Irwin and returned it. If I member correctly, it didn't register that great. For about half the cost I found a similar laser at Rockler (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16841&filter=laser), and think it's a better made product. I hope this helps.

Bob

Terry Browne
03-19-2008, 8:11 PM
I received mine today and it failed to work. I called the Irwin help line and the tech advised that it doesn't work with the Makita slide saws. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

fRED mCnEILL
03-19-2008, 8:30 PM
Bob, I'm curious about yours. The one I have is mounted to the side so even if it is dead accurate on a 1/4 in board, when you cut a 1 or 2 inch board it is off becuase it is not in the same plane as the blade.
Also can it be used for flat mitre cuts?

Thanks

Fred Mc.

Tommy Emmons
03-19-2008, 8:46 PM
I have one on a Delta miter saw and I like it very much. Quite accurate.

Scott Vigder
03-19-2008, 10:09 PM
I have the Irwin on my 12"" Metabo CSMS, and I have a post-it note taped to the top of the saw stating:

Keep piece left of laser line. Add 3/32" if keeping to right of laser line.

No mishaps so far....:rolleyes:

Eric Haycraft
03-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I received mine today and it failed to work. I called the Irwin help line and the tech advised that it doesn't work with the Makita slide saws. I'll be returning it tomorrow.

Mine is on a Makita and works fine. What issue did you have?

Robert Malone
03-20-2008, 7:15 AM
Jeff,
First look at the arbor and see if you have a 1/4" extra to mount a guide on.
A buddy bought an Irwin for his old Delta crop saw then found out he didn't have enough arbor.
It's mine now.

The Irwin is $28 at HD and the Infiniter is $22.
If you have a Rockler store close to you, I'd go with it.