PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's done!

Fred Voorhees
03-19-2008, 3:02 PM
I have been waiting for my income tax refund to find its way to me before I went ahead and ordered my new cabinet saw. I decided upon the Jet Deluxe 3 HP Xacta Saw with the 50" rip capacity. The beast will fit in the space dedicated to my current Delta contractors saw, but darn, it'll take a bit of maneuvering to continue to have working space on both sides of the thing. :rolleyes:

I decided on the saw before the big rush created a backorder status. That isn't really a biggie for me as I can wait. In fact, due to the backorder snafu, I thought that it wouldn't be a big deal to go with the 5 horse since it at one time was readily available for delivery. Upon checking the Rockler site (where I am buying it through) I see that the 5 HP models are actually a longer wait than the 3 horse models. Anyway, within a month or so, I should be taking delivery.

By the way, I originally thought that I would be taking advantage of SMC's classifieds to find a buyer for the Delta contractors saw. Nope. I advertised ahead of time via CraigsList and got a buyer within one or two days. He came and took a look at the saw two weeks ago and loved it. He is willing to come and get it after I have taken delivery of my new Jet.

Let the shop upgrading begin:p

Grant Morris
03-19-2008, 3:24 PM
Nice Refund :-)

Greg Cole
03-19-2008, 4:40 PM
Congrats Fred. Backorder is acceptable if you go into the purchase knowing.... placing an order & sending payment to find out you have to wait n wait is frustrating.
I helped a neighbor unload and set up pretty much an identical saw, quite nice in comparison to a good contractor saw for sure.

Yeah, mine's buying interior doors and some flooring... not quite the same luster there....

Greg

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 5:10 PM
Excellent news, Fred. I can't say that I'm actually looking forward to helping you move that beast UPSTAIRS to your shop, but hey, you helped wrestle my 1500 saw off the trailer and into my shop. LOL Of course, yours will be arriving at a time when it's not 4ºF outside...so instead of hot coco, you'll want to fire up the tap in the "relaxation room"...hee hee...

Mike Heidrick
03-19-2008, 5:22 PM
Congrats. Is this the Jet with the riving knife? Sure looks like a sweet saw. Enjoy it!

Fred Voorhees
03-19-2008, 6:15 PM

Actually Grant, and fortunately, the refund is only partially funding a small portion of the saw. Through various other sources, I have managed to stash away more than three quarters of the final cost of the saw. I just needed that little extra bit to get over the hump. I knew it was coming and was in no big rush....so, it's cool. I'm also pretty sure that I'll be picking up an HVLP gun. I have begun to get into..and enjoy the benefits of spraying my finishes and now wonder why I waited so long. I have always had a regular spray gun at my beck and call, just never bothered to give it a go.

The necessities to get the saw up and running (wiring, receptacle and plug, breaker and adaptor for the five inch dust collection duct to 4" saw orifice) plus the materials for a nice new outfeed table will run me a 100 or 2 more. Can't wait.

Fred Voorhees
03-19-2008, 6:15 PM
Excellent news, Fred. I can't say that I'm actually looking forward to helping you move that beast UPSTAIRS to your shop, but hey, you helped wrestle my 1500 saw off the trailer and into my shop. LOL Of course, yours will be arriving at a time when it's not 4ºF outside...so instead of hot coco, you'll want to fire up the tap in the "relaxation room"...hee hee...

Was it REALLY four degrees that day? I remember it was darned cold.:eek:

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 8:23 PM
Was it REALLY four degrees that day? I remember it was darned cold.

Yea...it was when we started (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51276)....remember?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57120&d=1170727944

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57124&d=1170727967
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57121&d=1170727950

Steve Sawyer
03-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Congratulations, Fred!

I ordered mine on March 1st...and THEN found out about the backorder situation. The only real inconvenience I'm encountering is that the day that my local distributor got a confirmation of the Jet order that had my saw, I too sold my contractor's saw on Craigslist. :(

Can't blame the distributor, as it was Jet's error in confirming the entire order without mentioning the little detail about my saw. The irritating thing is that I asked if we could get confirmation that the shipment they're expecting in late April isn't already oversold and that my saw WILL be allocated from that shipment and not the next (whenever THAT will be). So far, the distributor hasn't been able to get any commitment along those lines from Jet, so I'm concerned that I will again be disappointed - and still without a table saw!

I'm sure you're as excited as I am to be getting such a nice piece of equipment into the shop!

Don Bullock
03-25-2008, 7:50 AM
I have been waiting for my income tax refund to find its way to me before I went ahead and ordered my new cabinet saw. ...
Let the shop upgrading begin:p

Congratulations on your new saw. Don't forget the pictures of it in your shop. It sounds like you're planning more "upgrading" in the shop. Using your income tax refund is a great idea. That's how I paid for my SawStop last year.

Jim Cunningham
03-25-2008, 9:27 AM
Congrats. You will really appreciate the difference

Joe D'Attilio
03-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Congrats Fred; I'm sure you'll be making some nice dust with that sucker; How'd the cabinets come out...you get them all done and hung?:)