PDA

View Full Version : wet sanding?

Allen Schmid
03-19-2008, 1:11 PM
Afternoon all,
Am looking for some input on sanding green turned wood. I have acquired some really nice maple and have not gone the DNA drying route (yet). I have turned other items green and thin, let them dry down as needed then sanded to completion. However I am wondering what works for finish sanding while the wood is still wet and fresh on the lathe.
Any pointers from this educated and experienced crowd?
Will wait to hear and thanks in advance.
Allen

curtis rosche
03-19-2008, 1:24 PM
its hard to do because the paper gets gummed up pretty quickly and its hard to get a smooth none fuzy surface.........

George Guadiane
03-19-2008, 1:51 PM
One of the things that I do is to use oil to power sand with...
Even wet wood clogs less on oily paper, and the oil keeps down the dust. I get a gucky, muddy slurry coming of the paper. There is often some fuzz, even after 400 grit sanding (and finer), but it is minimal and can be pretty much eliminated with the first coat of WATER BASED polyurethane of shellac.
Oil based finishes slow down or stop drying when applied over an oil sanded surface (don't ask me how I know this, trust me, it can be a REAL MESS).

Reed Gray
03-19-2008, 5:01 PM
I use the LDD soak (liquid dishwashing detergent), then dry, then sand and finish. You do have to dry the wood which usually isn't too problematic, but for sanding them, you need a true variable speed lathe, and a power sander. Of course, some woods warp more than others.
robo hippy

Thomas Bennett
03-19-2008, 7:29 PM
I've been turning green all week with spalted maple, cherry and red oak and pine. I shear the final turning the best I can and start in with 120 grt. Sounds like you turn pretty thin. You shouldn't have any problems.The heat of the sanding will draw some of the water out. After the clogging up the 120 I've been able to sand on down to 1500. Then I set them aside to dry completely for a month(to be safe) and finish later. One turner advised me he applies sanding sealer immediately with good results. Small checks in the red oak I fill with ca. The pine....doesn't sand! I'll be posting these bowls after they are completed. Go for it!