PDA

View Full Version : computer tech question

Rick Moyer
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I am selling a motorcycle and listed it on a forum I frequent (or used to). Anyway, I got a response I don't feel is legitimate, but I don't want to dismiss it if it IS legit. I thought I read on Sawmill once about being able to trace an IP address somehow. All I have is an e-mail response, so maybe I can't anyway.
How do those of you who advertise online protect yourself from scam responses, and what do you do if you are unsure about an e-mail regarding an item you're selling?

p.s. The response was something like this:

"Hello seller,
I am intrested in the purchase of the item and i will like to know if it is still available for sale and the firm asking price.."

The "Hello seller" and the grammar/syntax had me apprehensive. I didn't respond to it.

Craig D Peltier
03-19-2008, 1:10 PM
I am selling a motorcycle and listed it on a forum I frequent (or used to). Anyway, I got a response I don't feel is legitimate, but I don't want to dismiss it if it IS legit. I thought I read on Sawmill once about being able to trace an IP address somehow. All I have is an e-mail response, so maybe I can't anyway.
How do those of you who advertise online protect yourself from scam responses, and what do you do if you are unsure about an e-mail regarding an item you're selling?

"Hello seller,
I am intrested in the purchase of the item and i will like to know if it is still available for sale and the firm asking price.."

The "Hello seller" and the grammar/syntax had me apprehensive. I didn't respond to it.

That is most definatley a bot. Its a program thats searches for high priced items an send out a generic email. 99% of the time it has mispellings. I get them all the time on high priced items on craigslist. Even if the item isnt for sale its a service I offer but it still ask if they can buy it and for best price an if its still available. I did see a funny post on CL the other day selling air for 1500. His post said he wanted to see how many bots were out there.
You can reply and if it s a high tech bot you will get another auto response asking who to make the chekc out to and a address. I usually screw with them and tell them that the FBI has a new way of tracking the bots and I sent the email to them.

Jason Beam
03-19-2008, 1:22 PM

"Hello seller,

Yeah, that's a scam. I think craigslist has a mechanism for reporting a scammer ... but i can't say for sure.

Joe Pelonio
03-19-2008, 3:43 PM
That's the exact wording that is used for many of the scams.

If you do want to look up an ip you can go to

http://tools.whois.net/whoisbyip/

but all that tells you is about the domain server they are using.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2008, 4:01 PM
That is most definatley a bot. Its a program thats searches for high priced items an send out a generic email. 99% of the time it has mispellings. I get them all the time on high priced items on craigslist. Even if the item isnt for sale its a service I offer but it still ask if they can buy it and for best price an if its still available. I did see a funny post on CL the other day selling air for 1500. His post said he wanted to see how many bots were out there.
You can reply and if it s a high tech bot you will get another auto response asking who to make the chekc out to and a address. I usually screw with them and tell them that the FBI has a new way of tracking the bots and I sent the email to them.

OK. I'm stuck on how they make money.
1.)You have a thing for sale.
2.) My bot sends you a query
3.) You send me ( or my bot) the requirements for the transaction

Now what?

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 4:40 PM
Cliff, usually at the point they actually have you in a conversation, the fun begins...things like "cashier's checks" written for more than the transaction that you cash and "rebate" the difference back to their "brother in law" who lives near you ;) when they pick up the product. A couple weeks later, the "cashier's check" actually bounces and you are out both the money and the merchandise. Etc. The whole idea is again, to get you "talking" and then convince you to do business while granting "favors"...

Joe Pelonio
03-19-2008, 4:59 PM
It costs them a lot less to have the bots do the initial work of finding victims than to have to pay someone to do it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2008, 6:30 PM
Cliff, usually at the point they actually have you in a conversation, the fun begins...things like "cashier's checks" written for more than the transaction that you cash and "rebate" the difference back to their "brother in law" who lives near you ;) when they pick up the product. A couple weeks later, the "cashier's check" actually bounces and you are out both the money and the merchandise. Etc. The whole idea is again, to get you "talking" and then convince you to do business while granting "favors"...

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Jason Beam
03-19-2008, 6:41 PM
I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

"It's all coming back to me." he said ... erm ... facing ... the wind :P