PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1024 Shaper: Need a Router Collet, Help!

Kim Dressler
03-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi My name is Kim and I just found your website the other day. I was looking somethings up for my dad he loves to work with wood and has made items from toyboxes to a kitchen hutch for me. He was given a grizzly wood shaper G1024 by a friend and he took it apart and cleaned it good and it works great but he wanted a router bit spindle for it and they are no longer made. He said the spindle is in good shape but he needs the collet to put the bits in. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on a way he could make his one collet or how he might be able to use router bit in the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated he is about nuts trying to figure it out.

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Kim,

I moved yout thread from the Off Topic to here so you can get better exposure about tooling and accessories for your dads shaper.

Welcome to The Creek!!!! :D

Kim Dressler
03-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh thank you I wasn't sure where to post it.

Chris Padilla
03-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Kim, I adjusted your subject title to be a bit more descriptive so you can get the help you need.

Kim Dressler
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
thank you maybe someday I will get the hang of this.

John Aperahama
03-19-2008, 1:36 PM
Kim which is the g1024? Griz doesn't seem to list this model no anywhere

Chris Padilla
03-19-2008, 2:04 PM
John,

I believe this particular model is no longer made, which might add to the difficulty of finding parts. I was kinda hoping Shiraz might see this post and help this SMCer out. :)

Wade Lippman
03-19-2008, 4:25 PM
Hi My name is Kim and I just found your website the other day. I was looking somethings up for my dad he loves to work with wood and has made items from toyboxes to a kitchen hutch for me. He was given a grizzly wood shaper G1024 by a friend and he took it apart and cleaned it good and it works great but he wanted a router bit spindle for it and they are no longer made. He said the spindle is in good shape but he needs the collet to put the bits in. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on a way he could make his one collet or how he might be able to use router bit in the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated he is about nuts trying to figure it out.

You could email Grizzly and ask them; I expect something will fit.

But shapers don't move fast enough to use router bits, so it would be kinda pointless.

James Suzda
03-19-2008, 4:43 PM
<SNIP> He said the spindle is in good shape but he needs the collet to put the bits in. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on a way he could make his one collet or how he might be able to use router bit in the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated he is about nuts trying to figure it out.
Hi Kim
Just for a bit of clarification, does your Dad have a router spindle and just needs the 1/2 and 1/4 collets for it, or does he need the whole router spindle?
I wonder what kind of response you would get if you called Grizzly's Customer service. Maybe they have a old spindle laying around that would fit your Dad's shaper. I also wonder if the router spindle for the G1035 (1 1/2 hp) shaper would fit?
I think Grizzly's CSR would be able to answer that question for you. Give them a call, they are nice helpful folks!:)

Dick Sylvan
03-19-2008, 6:10 PM
But shapers don't move fast enough to use router bits, so it would be kinda pointless.

I have a Jet 1 hp shaper that also uses router collets. I used it to make all of the molding for a walnut corner cupboard just like the one shown in the attached link with no problems at all.

http://www.lonniebird.com/Image37.jpg

Kim Dressler
03-19-2008, 7:18 PM
I have emailed Grizzly and they said that nothing they have will fit this shaper. I talked to my dad and he said that the spindle is still in great shape he just needs the collet to use 1/4" and 1/2" bits.

Charles Robertson
03-19-2008, 7:24 PM
I believe I may have what you need. I think that the Griz spindle will fit in a Delta shaper. If it will, I have several of the router bit spindles. All are new, unused. I'm in W.O.C.,Md. I have a Delta shaper that they fit in. Let me know if I can help. Al

Kim Dressler
03-19-2008, 7:24 PM
Hi Kim
Just for a bit of clarification, does your Dad have a router spindle and just needs the 1/2 and 1/4 collets for it, or does he need the whole router spindle?
I wonder what kind of response you would get if you called Grizzly's Customer service. Maybe they have a old spindle laying around that would fit your Dad's shaper. I also wonder if the router spindle for the G1035 (1 1/2 hp) shaper would fit?
I think Grizzly's CSR would be able to answer that question for you. Give them a call, they are nice helpful folks!:)

Yes dad had the spindle. I emailed Griizzly and they said that the ones they have now will not fit in the model he has. thanks so much everyone here is so nice

Joe Chritz
03-19-2008, 8:31 PM
Yes you can run router bits in a shaper. Very small bits don't do as well as in a router but do fine with slow feeds.

If I understand you just need the collet portion that tightens down around the bit. The one in my shaper has the spindle (which the bit slides into) and a collet that tightens down.

It may be a bit of cash but it looks like any machinist could make one without to much trouble. Other than that it may be worth looking around for something else that will fit from a machine still in production.

Good luck

Joe

Linda Gale
04-05-2009, 1:03 PM
I have a G1024 for sale in Las Vegas, NV. Where are you located?:)

Richard Wolf
04-05-2009, 1:12 PM
Well, seeing that Kim has not been on this site for over a year, I doubt she will respond.
Please check dates.

Richard