PDA

View Full Version : A new look for the shop...

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
For those that have been following our addition project via the BLOG (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm), you know that our revitalized home has a new look with the Hardie cement siding and muted "earthy" colors. Well, I'm happy to say that my shop building has now benefited from the same aesthetic changes and it looks great. Both the house and the outbuilding really feel like they belong together now. The one thing that has not changed on the shop building is the roofing...I don't have the money for that right now, but when the time comes, it will be changed to match, too.

The same siding was installed to replace the cruddy old vinyl siding on the upper level and the trim/gutters were replaced, too. Everything was made to duplicate the look of the house including the "Timberbark" color on the siding and wall paint as well as the trim colors. Here are a few pictures so you can see the transformation...

circa about 2002:

circa about 2003 after the internal expansion:

today...literally....

84412 84413

Ken Fitzgerald
03-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Looks nice Jim! So will the curtains match the ones in the house too?

Bob Noles
03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Jim,

WOW!!! That is one nice improvement and will pay dividends toward the value of the property. Just hope the tax accessor don't skin you on the value added :eek:

Nice job!

Keel McDonald
03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Jim

I love the earthtones! I am getting ready to do a very similar color on my house.

Dan Bussiere
03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Beautiful Jim.

But then again I was jealous of the original look. :)

Chris Padilla
03-19-2008, 11:10 AM

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2008, 11:44 AM

Mr. Becker....the revamped shop looks really good...but along with the new curtains...where's the recliner going to go? :)

Michael Gibbons
03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
"Martha" Becker!:D Nice combination of colors, Jim.

Jim O'Dell
03-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Nice color scheme! Very nice. Jim.

Greg Peterson
03-19-2008, 1:00 PM
So will the curtains match the ones in the house too?

Absolutely hilarious Ken. :D :D :D

David Duke
03-19-2008, 1:07 PM

I thinking along the lines of something like a mauve for contrasting color :D:D:D:D !

All kidding aside Jim, its looking GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Greg Narozniak
03-19-2008, 1:41 PM
Looks Great Jim!!

Chris Padilla
03-19-2008, 2:35 PM
Shop? What shop?! I think I see something but it appears to be blending right into the hills made by Mother Nature! ;)

Narayan Nayar
03-19-2008, 4:23 PM
Ah, the options unavailable to those of us in the Bay Area, eh Chris?

I miss the Midwest. Particularly the real estate prices...

Looks great, Jim.

Larry Fox
03-19-2008, 4:30 PM
Really nice looking update Jim - congrats.

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 5:01 PM

Mr. Becker....the revamped shop looks really good...but along with the new curtains...where's the recliner going to go?

I thinking along the lines of something like a mauve for contrasting color!

We don't have any curtains in the house...I hate the things. (No offense, Chris... :D ...and for those of you not familiar with the reference, Chris used to have some lovely curtains in the window of his shop...I saw them with my own eyes...) But I might do some black-out blinds in the new HT room and I believe the 'rents will appreciate some blinds in the guest room given two big windows open onto...the front porch... :)

Dennis, I don't have any room in the shop for a recliner. The stool already has to do double duty for both butt support and holding up things I'm spraying with finish. :eek: Now Mr. Tarr...he has a whole living room suite in his shop! Really!

Shop? What shop?! I think I see something but it appears to be blending right into the hills made by Mother Nature!

That's the idea, Chris. Not only the "nature" angle, but when you add 2000 sq ft to a 1950 sw ft house, things start to get a little massive. The subdued colors reduce that effect significantly. The same positive result with the outbuilding that houses my shop that is 22'x44' (originally a 3 1/2 car garage of sorts) came with the color change, too. The steep roof line makes the building pretty "massive" aesthetically, too. It feels much more comfortable and intimate with the property now.

Bob Noles, I'm sure that the tax folks in the township are licking their chops over this one...since the "number" had to go on the application. I don't think we'll know what the effect is until next year, however, since tax bills for 2008 have already been issued and paid...at least some of them.

Rich Konopka
03-24-2008, 7:05 PM

What happened? Did Chris pass the curtains on to Jim? ;)

Don Bullock
03-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Jim, I've never seen pictures of your shop's exterior before. It looks great even with the old paint job. The new paint job definitely "tones it down" a bit. Your building is very close, minus the upstairs, to a design I was working on this morning. My wife and I just made an offer on a home that doesn't have a garage or shop space. I'd love to have something very close to what you have, but will need to crunch some numbers to see if it will fit into our budget.

Bruce Page
03-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Very Classy!

It looks like you had a gray day in Bucks County today.

Danny Thompson
03-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Pure sweetness, Jim. That shop is something to aspire to. And the monochomatic exterior somehow gives it a feeling of permanence. Nice job.