PDA

View Full Version : New fence for old TS

BOB OLINGER
03-19-2008, 9:59 AM
I have a 1970's 9" Rockwell/Delta contractors table saw. It's been a great saw; obviously, passed over with new concepts. Is it possible to install a better fence (such as a Bisemeyer) to my old saw? I'm only a hobbyist or I'd consider a TS upgrade. Meanwhile, this one remains rock solid. Thanks for any help and advice.

Steve Sawyer
03-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Yes, you can, Bob. Sometimes you need to do some "fitting", but nothing major. I put a beautiful Excalibur fence on my old Craftsman contractor's saw, and it was like I had a whole new saw. I had to drill some new holes in the edge of the cast iron top and extension wings to line up with the mounting slot on the fence rails as the existing holes were either too high or too low (don't remember now which it was).

If you can, get a look at how the fence rails for the new fence mount so you're prepared for whatever minor modifications you need to do to mount them.

Mike Wilkins
03-19-2008, 3:57 PM
I have a 1964 model Rockwell/Delta Unisaw, which came with the original tube-type fence system. One of the first things I did when rehabbing this machine was to get a Unifence. Bolted up perfectly with no modifications, no extra holes to drill or anything. Have to make your own table extension for the right side, which I made out of 3/4" white melamine & edge banded.
The nice thing about the Unifence is that you can order different lengths of front rails, up to 8 feet.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Greg Peterson
03-19-2008, 4:06 PM
I just installed the Delta T2 30" fence system on my early 70's craftsman contractor TS. Some drilling on the cast iron, but was easy. Major improvement.

BOB OLINGER
03-19-2008, 4:54 PM
Steve, Mike, & Greg,

Thanks for replies. Can you steer me to any sources for the fences?

Greg Peterson
03-19-2008, 5:41 PM
Can you steer me to any sources for the fences?

Lowes carries the Delta fence T2 30" fence. $150.

If you're an Amazon Prime customer you can get it for the same price, no shipping charge.

Bob Vallaster
03-19-2008, 7:51 PM
Bies' used to have a scratch-n-dent corner on their website. That's where I got mine.
The classifieds on this site occasionally have them (various brands).
When Lowes clearanced Biesmeyers a few months ago (for insanely low prices), Creekers seemed to buy up all that were available. They show up here and on fleabay often.

Bob v.

Bill Huber
03-19-2008, 9:51 PM
I think that is the best thing I have ever done for my 1954 Craftsman 8 inch saw.
I got a Mule, Accusquare Table Saw Rip Fence, I did have to drill a few holes but they were easy and no problem at all.
http://www.mulecab.com/tablesaw.html

I really like the fence a lot, it is strong, it has T slots all around and is very easy to use. They have gone up in price a little but I still think I would buy it again.

Louis Rucci
03-20-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't know what your budget will handle, but take a look at Incra's TS-LS system. I just love the incremental adjustment feature and can upgrade to a routing table system later if you choose.

Matt Day
03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
I have a Vega that I got from Amazon, and have been happy with it. I had to drill a couple holes in my old Rockwell saw when I had the fence on it, but it was an easy process.

George Sanders
03-20-2008, 11:11 AM
I too put a mule Accusquare fence on an old Craftsman contractor saw. I use the t-slots for mounting a sacrifice fence and holddowns. It's very accurate and useful.