PDA

View Full Version : Does Saw Stop offer discounts at WW shows?

Gary Warren
03-19-2008, 9:44 AM
We have the annual woodworking show coming up in Houston at the end of this month. Does anyone know if Saw Stop ever discount their saws at the various WW shows? I know Delta and Jet do but not sure about SS. I am very interested in their cabinet saw.

Jim Becker
03-19-2008, 9:52 AM
"Discounts" are rare at shows from anyone. The Euro manufacturers will usually have show special packages, but discounts on the mass market products are a lot harder to come by simply because there is so little margin to begin with. Most of the sales are channeled through a local reseller, too, when a name brand is at the show, so the pricing will tend to be somewhat "normal" in my experience.

Honestly, the best reason to go to a show is to touch and feel a lot of things that you might not be able to do normally. And even for that, many shows have been disappointing in recent years.

jason lambert
03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Saw stop is like festool and has no discounts, as far as I am aware and I looked because I just ordered one.

Don Bullock
03-19-2008, 9:41 PM
SawStop no longer sells retail. They do not allow their dealers to offer any discounts. The only way to "save money" when buying a SawStop is to get the dealer to provide some "special service" without extra charge. The service could include setting up the saw and checking all tolerances, hooking up a 220 pigtail, delivery, etc.

Ted Baca
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
SawStop no longer sells retail

Are you sure I was in Woodcraft and they still are selling. Is this new? I just bought my mobile base from them and no mention of closing out.

Don Bullock
03-20-2008, 7:37 AM
The SawStop company itself no longer sells retail. They used to sell saws through their website directly to the public. They now only sell through regular retail stores

Brian Penning
03-20-2008, 7:51 AM
The SawStop company itself no longer sells retail. They used to sell saws through their website directly to the public. They now only sell through regular retail stores

Plus, the farther you're away from the Pacific northwest the more it will cost you due to extra shipping charges applied to the dealer location.
Click on the Shipping Rates in the site page below.
http://www.sawstop.com/products-cabinet-saw-pricing.htm

Don Bullock
03-20-2008, 9:55 AM
Brian's post is correct. While some complain about this they don't realize that the consumer pays "shipping" on everything they buy. It's just averaged out in the "retail price." What SawStop has done is to collect the "actual" shipping cost on each saw rather than adding it to the average cost to all their saws. It's a different market strategy than used by most companies. We could argue about this point forever as to the "actual" cost, etc., but it is what it is and it doesn't look like SawStop is planning to change their policy. It's just something that the buyer needs to consider. There have been a few reports where some retailers have "forgotten" to charge the SawStop "shipping fee." To date that has not been proven to be true.

In regards to the OP, what often happens at the woodworking shows is someone is there to demonstrate the SawStop. If you haven't seen it done in person I would highly recommend that you make sure you do even if you aren't planning to buy a SawStop.

Scott Ricks
03-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Gary,

When and where is the WW show. I live about 70 miles out of town but would like to go.

Thanks
SCott

Vic Damone
03-20-2008, 1:24 PM
Plus, the farther you're away from the Pacific northwest the more it will cost you due to extra shipping charges applied to the dealer location.
Click on the Shipping Rates in the site page below.
http://www.sawstop.com/products-cabinet-saw-pricing.htm

Do they allow you to pick the saw up at their location and avoid shipping?

Vic

Chris Padilla
03-20-2008, 1:28 PM
Vic, you planning a trip up I-5 soon? :)

Brian Penning
03-20-2008, 1:31 PM
Who's location? The dealer? No, because the dealer had to pay the shipping charges which he passes on to you.
SawStop's location? I doubt it. The saw is only sold through dealers. Unless maybe you purchased it from the dealer but you go pick it up in Oregon, but I doubt they'd do it. You can always ask.

BTW this applies to the accessories also. The mobile base was $50 more due to my eastern location.