PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw crossroad.....

Bob Noles
03-19-2008, 9:34 AM
Bandsaws are probably the most discussed topic on woodworking forums and I would like to open the topic for yet another discussion.

I reached a crossroad where I needed to sell my former bandsaw and now need to find a replacement that will meet my needs. I want to ask you good folks for your opinions and advice in helping me make a decision. Right now I am looking at, but not limited to, the G0555, the G0555X, the G0457 and the Rikon 10-325.

My requirements of a BS are resawing boards 6" and less as that is the size of my jointer. I would like to begin making BS boxes. I have a 10" mini lathe. I am learning to carve and need to cut small carving blanks. I do mostly smaller type work as that is all my health will allow. I will not be using this machine as a sawmill and trying to cut logs. I am not sure of the advantage of a European model over a standard model. I like the approx 43" table height. I have a 10" Craftsman with a 4" cutting height as a 2nd BS for smaller projects to keep me from having to change blades so often. I want a quality machine that is easy to tune and maintain. This saw will be one of the more MAJOR machines in my shop. My shop is small and I would like to stay with a 14" model. I don't want to buy more saw than I really need, but have no problem paying for quality and features. I have a good working knowledge of BS's but having trouble with making a decision of which one would best fit my needs based on the above.

Looking for any help and advice I can get to get me off the fence.

Brent Ring
03-19-2008, 11:09 AM
I found a used PM 141 for $400 and I love it. Does everything that I want. If I had not gotten it, I probably would have gotten the 16" Jet. I have recently resawn some 6" cherry and w/ 1/2" blade and slow, consistent feed rate, it works great.

You might look around and see what you can find....

Lance Norris
03-19-2008, 1:06 PM
Bob...I have the G0457 and it has been excellent. It is a very high quality machine. I have resawed to capacity(10")with no problems. It has plenty of power. I like all the extras it came with also. Roller blade guides, quick tension release, fence with resaw attachment, cabinet with storage, large table. I recommend the 457. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Michael Faurot
03-19-2008, 2:27 PM
I reached a crossroad where I needed to sell my former bandsaw and now need to find a replacement that will meet my needs. I want to ask you good folks for your opinions and advice in helping me make a decision. Right now I am looking at, but not limited to, the G0555, the G0555X, the G0457 and the Rikon 10-325.

I own the Grizzly G0555 and purchased some of the additional features like the resaw fence and mobile base. I've only needed to perform minor maintenance to it like changing out some of the guide bearings and replacing the tires.

When I bought the G0555, the G0555X was not available. If I were doing it today, I'd probably go for the G0555X as it comes with the resaw fence, that I had to but as an add-on. The G0555X has some other nice features, over the G0555, but not enough that I fell like I've got to trade-up.

The thing I like about my G0555 the most, is it pretty much cuts straight. With a good blade and properly tensioned, I can put a piece of work up against the fence and the blade will pretty much hold the line I've drawn.

I do mostly smaller type work as that is all my health will allow.
[...]
I have a 10" Craftsman with a 4" cutting height as a 2nd BS for smaller projects to keep me from having to change blades so often.
I do things similarly with mostly small things. I use my 14" saw with a 1/2" 3TPI blade for doing resawing and straight cuts, and I have one of those 9" Ryobi bandsaws with 1/4" 6TPI blade for curves and small stuff where I want a slightly smoother cut.

After cutting stuff with either bandsaw, I find it's most useful to use hand planes to smooth the rough cut and adjust things to a final dimension.

Brian Kent
03-19-2008, 7:44 PM
Bob, is the table height the reason for not having the Grizzly G0513 on the list? It is the same cost as the Rikon and cheaper than the G0457, with a larger wheel.

Bob Noles
03-19-2008, 8:00 PM
I want to thank everyone for taking time to reply. After many days of gut wrenching and toiling over this decision, I have finally decided on the Rikon. So much research and helpful advise to sift thru and still not arriving at what is best over and over again for days on end. I am just glad that I can put it to bed now and get back to woodworking. The Rikon appears to have everything I need now and even some tucked away for later if needed. It just seemd like the right model for my needs and shop size and made most sense for me.

Brian Kent
03-19-2008, 8:37 PM
Congratulations, Bob!

May your future be safely filled with curvy lines and even slabs.

Brian