PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection -- all-inclusive kit for the garage

Eric Larsen
03-19-2008, 12:02 AM
I searched the forum. I swear I did. But I couldn't find any posts about a "here, buy this and hook it up to all your 4-inch ports, " DC system.

Is there anything out there that approaches "plug and play?" For once, I'd like to buy something where I don't have to cobble components out of bondo and duct tape (Hyperbole? Yes. But just barely.)

Jamie Buxton
03-19-2008, 12:23 AM
You could do the very simple version. Buy a chip collector on wheels, and drag it around to your various machines. The thing works right out of the box -- no need to design and install a ductwork jungle. There's also no need to have 230 volts. You can get a 1 1/2 hp 120 volt model with a canister filter for $400-$500. (Canisters capture smaller particles than bags.)

Greg Peterson
03-19-2008, 1:08 AM
Sorry, but the short answer is no, there isn't a one size fits all DC solution.

I don't think there's a kit that will cover every potential customers DC demands. You buy the heart of the system, single stage or cyclone, and custom fit the duct work to the configuration of your shop, equipment and the way you work.

Given the cost of some of these components, especially the sheet metal tubes, connectors, Y's and so forth, there isn't a single manufacturer that could produce a kit that would be competitively priced against the ala carte' approach.

Not going to buy a complete, high performance DC system off the rack. Gonna be a custom config.

michael osadchuk
03-19-2008, 2:52 AM
I searched the forum. I swear I did. But I couldn't find any posts about a "here, buy this and hook it up to all your 4-inch ports, " DC system.

Is there anything out there that approaches "plug and play?" For once, I'd like to buy something where I don't have to cobble components out of bondo and duct tape (Hyperbole? Yes. But just barely.)

I have an Oneida Air Systems catalog and page 34 says "let us quote and design your dust collection system" and the catalog appears to list everything you need - cyclones, ducting, elbows, blast gates, hoods, even the duct hangers..... it's not 'plug n play' but I think all you have to do, apart from providing a shop layout and stating what machines you have, is "open your wallet" :D
www.oneida-air.com

good luck

michael

Don Bullock
03-19-2008, 9:40 AM
Eric, that's a great question. The link that Michael gave you is the best I've found. While it may be expensive to go that direction, it would sure be a lot easier and much faster than piecing a system together. If a DC system is predesigned and all the parts are cut before delivery I wonder how much time and frustration it saves and if that is worth the "extra cost." I do remember a post where someone used the Oneida design service and then bought what he needed elsewhere. It might be cheaper to do it that way, but he still had to do a lot of cutting and fitting work.