PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander demo in Tempe AZ

Joe Jensen
03-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi, I've been considering getting a dual drum sander but I have not watched one in action. I would love to see how one works to remove the light scallops from my planer, and I'd love to see how quickly one works to flatten glue ups.

Is there anyone in the Tempe AZ area willing to demo their setup? I'll buy lunch/dinner, or something else in appreciation.

On a side note, is there a speed difference between a cheaper Performance 16" open end level machine, and a Powermatic or General dual drum?

Thanks...joe

Dave Falkenstein
03-19-2008, 1:56 AM
Hi Joe,

I think Woodworkers Source might have what you are looking for in their shop area. Have you talked to them?

James Hart
03-19-2008, 2:17 AM
Joe,

I'm up in Glendale and have an 18/36" Delta. I'd be happy to run some wood through it if you'd like to see it run.

Jim

Joe Jensen
03-19-2008, 3:24 AM
Hi Dave, I know woodcraft sold the General dual drum at one time. Do they have one in their shop area that they run? They are only 10 min from my house so that's easy.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2008, 9:21 AM
I would love to see how one works to remove the light scallops from my planer, and I'd love to see how quickly one works to flatten glue ups.

Like dying and going to heaven.

On a side note, is there a speed difference between a cheaper Performance 16" open end level machine, and a Powermatic or General dual drum?Every one I know who has had experience on both the open end machines and the higher quality closed end machines will never (willingly) use an open end machine again.

I see comments like not flat, not fast, not accurate. Apparently deflection is always an issue when you haven't got a fixed bearing on both ends of the drum.

I rather suspect the up-side of the open end drum machines is that you can get twice the width for about half ( or less) the money and space of a full blown drum or wide belt sander.

As an aside if you try to use a drum or widebelt like a planar (taking off lots of stock in a pass) you'll burn the stock and wreck the belts and maybe even ruin the drums. Either that or you'll just stall the machine.

Joe Chritz
03-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I can't help with a demo but lots of shops will do one if you walk in with cash and won't buy without one. Here is a panel if that machine does a good enough job I'll buy it today.

As far as single or double, I have used both and there is no comparison. The Delta 18/36 I had used did good work, the Grizzly 24" dual does the same faster. It will take a bigger bite but I try to avoid that whenever possible.

Joe