PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa's Plane

John Finley
03-18-2008, 10:49 PM
I just got this passed down to me. It was my Grandpa's Stanley. It has built two houses and a boat. Anyway, I am pretty excited to restore it. I don't know what model it is. I have tried to figure it out from website reference pages, but I can't make up my mind.

It has been used hard. There s a weld on the shoe, but appears to be fairly flat. Obviously, I will need to work on that as part as the restoration. I have never restored a plane before, so I have a lot to learn.

Clint Jones
03-18-2008, 10:53 PM
It looks like a parplus not a stanley. I know the plane has sentimental value but it looks like it should get a light cleaning and retire. It has had a rough life and it would appreciate the rest. Looks like one cheek is broken and there is a brazed crack from mouth to side wall.

Parplus planes are not very good users because they have a stamped steel frog joined to the body.

John Finley
03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, that would make some sense as to why I can't ID it.:rolleyes:

My wife made the comment that it would be a nice to have on display, instead of trying to restore it. Maybe I should take that path. Plus, it will give me an excuse to buy a good one.;)

Clint Jones
03-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, that would make some sense as to why I can't ID it.:rolleyes:

My wife made the comment that it would be a nice to have on display, instead of trying to restore it. Maybe I should take that path. Plus, it will give me an excuse to buy a good one.;)

Yes it needs to retire and let one of the younger better looking guys do all the work ;) I would just wipe it down with oil and clean lightly with fine steel wool. You could sharpent the blade a bit to take a pass every now and then for giggles. Pass it down through your family, it is part of your history and should be cherished. -Clint

Tony Zaffuto
03-19-2008, 8:16 AM
Look on the blade and see if it says "Parplus". If it does, measure the length of the sole. I got a Parplus in a box lot at an auction and if you can use the sole to make a useable plane, PM me and you can have it it.

Jim Nardi
03-19-2008, 4:11 PM
Clean it up nice and use it as a paper weight. They look good and make nice conversation starters on your desk.