PDA

View Full Version : remote conrol for dust collector

markus shaffer
03-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Speaking with a rep. from Oneida the other day regarding a cyclone. I asked him about getting a remote control for the unit I ordered. He pointed out that with 3-phase power, the remote they sell doesn't work well. Turns out it's something like the X-10 system. We have one of those rigged up here for some lights and indeed it worked only when it wanted to.. Sometimes it would even turn on by itself. Needless to say, that has long since been disconnected. This leads to my questions.. Does anyone know if the "Long Ranger" system has issues being run over 3-phase power. My cyclone will only be 2 HP single phase and 220 volts.

Also, while I'm on the subject, does anyone have any ideas regarding small remote controls (car alarm keychain size) that will work over 3-phase without any issues I described above that the X-10 system has. This system needs to run two small 12 volt lights. I was almost thinking of buying a car alarm system and rigging that up somehow with a transformer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

-Markus

Chris Padilla
03-21-2004, 3:14 AM
Markus,

I don't know much about 3-phase power and how it might impact a remote for your DC but muttle your way through this whole thread and it might give you an idea...it sure gave me one! :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=6415

Could you just put the remote above after the power is converted to single phase?

John Renzetti
03-21-2004, 7:57 AM
Hi Markus, Not sure if this will help, but I start my 3 ph 5.5hp collector using a 220v 1ph x-10 device. I have the remote starter on a keychain. I use it to control a 3hp motor starter that can take 1ph input to close the contacts and start the collector. This setup has worked well in the 3 yrs I've had it set up this way.
Take care,
John

Mike Kelly
03-21-2004, 8:35 AM
Markus, why are you worrying about 3 phase power control when you said your DC will be 220V single phase? My 220V X10 system on my Oneida has worked flawlessly for three years. Not one false turn-on. Glitches mostly occur by other people. i.e., something else on the line with other controllers set for the same codes. Doesn't have to be close, but on the same transformer.

Mark Singer
03-21-2004, 9:03 AM
My Oneida 220v works perfect w/ the remote...its great and will work from very long distances and even through concrete block walls!

Tyler Howell
03-21-2004, 9:21 AM
I've built a number of remote controllers for 1&3 phase systems, some of them for less than honorable purposes.
This unit that my good neighbor Dennis has so eloquently described in his web sight is a great and inexpensive wireless remote. There is no over current protection found in many motor starters. It may not need it if the motor has its own. This can be adapted with a three phase contactor.
Good luck.
Play safe.

[http://home.alliancecable.net/~woodworker/dcremote.html

Jim Becker
03-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Markus, why are you worrying about 3 phase power control when you said your DC will be 220V single phase? .

This is a little more complicated as the X-10 system uses the wiring to channel the signals...crossing the phases can be an issue without special equipment, although it can be done with some expense.

Using a remote system with a motor starter is the way to go for this application as well as for controling a larger single phase system that exceeds the 20amp limit on the commonly available devices. But what I found is that it's far easier to have remote on/off capabilty at each of the major workstations. It doesn't matter if it's low-voltage hard wired or RF...doing it this way ultimately eliminates the problem of playing "let's find the remote control". I have 7 small X-10 RF remotes in my shop and there is always one just a step away or at the machine I'm using no mater where I am in the shop. That beats discovering the remote in the bottom of the laundry bin...especially "after the fact"!