PDA

View Full Version : Any Fisherman out there?

Kyle Costlow
03-18-2008, 9:46 PM
My Dad wants to get a new fish finder, he asked me to help him research them, anyone have a recommendation, he is currently looking at the Hummingbird 565 unit. We usually fish for large mouth bass in fairly large lakes/reservoirs if that makes a difference.

Al Willits
03-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Couple ways to go, I use a Lowrance LCX 27C flasher/GPS mounted on the console, for mainly running from spot to spot.
Also I run a dual hook up, one on the bow mount trolling motor and one in back of the boat with a X510C flasher.

Not sure if he wants a GPS or not, but either work well, least for me.

A bit depends on how much he wants to spend.

Al

Kyle Costlow
03-18-2008, 10:21 PM
I think he is looking for something in the 200-500$ range.

Al Willits
03-18-2008, 11:19 PM
I think the X510C is about at the limit of what he wants, he want color?
If not, the none colored units (monochrome?) are cheaper.

Al

Judy Kingery
03-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Kyle, my husband has been pleased with the same arrangment and equipment Al described for you, the bow and back, Lowrance (sans GPS, but non-color). He likes them just fine, decent price range. And generally that's what we fish, large mouth bass, anywhere from smaller lakes to (relative I guess as to your geographical location) to several quite large resevoirs.

If you need more detailed information, I'll ask him as I enjoy fishing, but he's the truly dedicated fisherman. Best to you on your decision! Jude

Steven Wilson
03-19-2008, 1:03 AM
I like the non-colored models because they can be turned down more than the color ones during night fishing (I like to troll for walleyes in the evening). I have two Lowrance X-125's, one on the bow, one at the console, and a Vexlar FL-18 at the bow too. I run a separate GPS unit at the console.

David Wilhelm
03-19-2008, 1:57 AM
Kyle I install these units daily. I fish myself and not on any of my boats will you find a hummin bird product. I have garmin, like them but they are very slow in graft speed. Lowrance is the Unit of choice for me. They only make color units now so if you want a good BW go with the 125 it's non GPS compatable. It just depends on what bells and whistles you want. I like color. If you are bass fishing you are going to want to see hard bottom as well as structure. You may find that seeing a map from time to time will help you as well. Saving a few bucks and cutting a few corners will give you the Eagle line. If you are shopping the big box stores you may be limited as to what you can get 125 may not be available to you at all through them perhaps the 135. Bottom line until you get over the amount you are looking to spend or if you stay in the bottom part of that amount they all are pretty much the same. you get what you pay for. A screen that lights up and a few specs with a few readings. 500.00 and a touch higher is where the choices really start. If you want something nice and need help Email me. I prolly want check back.

mark page
03-19-2008, 7:05 AM
I second the Lowrance brand. And GPS is a must for several reasons. First to keep track of your favorite spots in the middle of the lakes that are hot fishing. Second & the important one, in case of emergencies or breakdowns. Lakes such as my local Smithville Lake, which is 1/2 to 2/3 tree and stump filled, 18 miles long and 175 miles of shoreline, no one will find you after dark without a GPS location. DAMHIKT!

Joe Pelonio
03-19-2008, 9:18 AM
Most of my fishing is local lakes for trout, and I find myself feeling a little guilty about using a fish finder since the fish don't have a fisherman finder to avoid me :eek:.

Still, I have one. It's a Humminbird portable that I bought about 12 years ago that uses a 6 volt battery. Since we have two lakes within 5 miles of here that do not allow motorized boats, it's handy to use on my canoe. While it's not close to the resolution of the modern color versions, it's always done well for me.

Greg Cole
03-19-2008, 9:29 AM
I've had a couple of Humminbirds. I've had better luck with Lowrance stuff and a couple others made for for big water fishing for cold water fishes.
GPS is nice, but not necessary really. I've never needed a waypoint to get back to "my spots"... for warm water fish like bass. We used to drag my Dad's 25 foot sport fish boat from Lake Champlain to Lake Ontario every fall for samon fishing... and on the "little" Great Lake, GPS is a must.
Anyone here still have a paper chart style??? Man I thought that was the shiznit when I was a little brat....
Mark,
Try walleye fishing on a lake that's up to 11 miles wide and 110 miles long and over 400 feet deep (Lake Champlain) at night! Granted there's little timber in the drink but that's a big pond if ya don't know where you're going..... I grew up on "the lake" and miss it dearly being here in KC. What's a "lake" here isn't a lake to me....:o

Greg

scott kinninger
03-20-2008, 12:24 AM
I wouldn't buy a Humminbird even if they cut their prices in half. Lowrance is the only way to go. The 125 is a great unit and what I use on the front of my boat, with the transducer on the trolling motor. GPS is great and something I'd never do without again after having it on my other unit but you're not going to get that for $500. Get the 125! Good luck fishing!

Lee Schierer
03-20-2008, 6:08 AM
For Bass fishing, I would recommend a fish finder with a side looking capability in addition to straight down. Most bass fishing is done in relatively shallow water and if you get right over the fish you can spook them. If your trans ducer is side mounted on the trolling motor you can see what's in the direction the transducer is pointing. It is also convenient to have the fish finder give a depth reading to each fish symbol it puts on the screen so you can see how deep they are.

Al Wasser
03-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Last night on the History channel, was an interesting program about huge freshwater fish. Muskies to 6 ft, 600 lb cats on the Amazon, monster lake trout in N. Canada, alligator gar in TX etc. Worth a watch if get a chance

Al Willits
03-20-2008, 3:53 PM
Ah.....where was that 6 foot Musky? :D

48" best I've been able to do, hoping the fall trip to Vermillion will change that, Beasty's coming along, and if nothing else, she will catch a 50"+
Probably while fishing for crappies...

Al

Dave Verstraete
03-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Al
Been to Vermillion once and fished with a guide named Musky Tom. Awesome fishery. 6 ft???? Nah, maybe 55" someday. My best is 47" on the Detroit River in June.

Al Willits
03-21-2008, 9:53 AM
I'd consider a 50" a fish of a life time for all but the diehard musky fishermen/women/whatever...I'd make me a happy camper for sure.

Kyle, maybe take your dad to a few sporting good stores and with what you've read here, and what he see's you'll be able to come up with one he likes.

Nothing like being able to compare while playing with them over just reading about them.
Good luck

Al