PDA

View Full Version : A Little More Advice Please

Barb Mrazek
03-18-2008, 9:15 PM
Hello,
This forum was so helpful for me yesterday when I asked some questions regarding my upcoming tool purchase , that I'm hoping I can pick your brains one more time.

I have 3 questions.

In regards to a Planer, I'm looking at the General International 30-125 15" or the Steel City 40250 15". From what I can tell there are no really significant differences between the 2, though the Steel City is a few hundred dollars cheaper, and in my opinion better looking :)

Am I write that they are pretty similar, or am I missing something and one is better then the other?

Second, for those who own a Saw Stop, did you go with their fence or a different one?

And last, I've been noticing when surfing the web that a lot of people talk about arranging delvery and setup with the store where they purchased their equipment. Is this a normal service most stores offer? I'm only asking because I metioned to the salesmen I needed to arrange delivery, and maybe setup, and his reaction seemed to indicate that wasn't the norm. I'm in Mississauga, Ontario.

Thanks again!

Barb

Anthony Anderson
03-18-2008, 9:26 PM
Barb, I can't help you with the planers. I did order the SawStop 52" fence, and have been very happy with the decision. The fence is rock solid. The local tool store where I bought my SawStop, would not deliver the SawStop any farther than the garage, that was it, due to liability reasons they said. Don Bullock and Mark Singer bought from a place in CA, not sure of the name, but that store did deliver and setup. They seemed like a service and customer oriented store, going the extra mile to make sure the customer is very satisfied. Don will probably reply to your thread as well. Good Luck in your decisions. Bill

Peter Quinn
03-18-2008, 9:31 PM
Other than the general having a larger dust port, it there's a difference I can't see it. I agree that general green gets a bit nauseating.

I'm starting to think there is actually only one 15" iron planer being made these days as they all look pretty similar other than knobs and paint color.

That digital readout on the steel city would seal the deal for me.

Brad Noble
03-18-2008, 9:43 PM
Second, for those who own a Saw Stop, did you go with their fence or a different one?

Sorry, no help here either. I'm a PM66 owner.

And last, I've been noticing when surfing the web that a lot of people talk about arranging delvery and setup with the store where they purchased their equipment. Is this a normal service most stores offer? I'm only asking because I metioned to the salesmen I needed to arrange delivery, and maybe setup, and his reaction seemed to indicate that wasn't the norm. I'm in Mississauga, Ontario.

I can't help but think that any woodworking store that sells products like the SawStop would (or at least should) offer delivery and setup. If they don't then move along to find one that does. If none exists then ask around and perhaps a fellow 'creeker' could help you out.

Thanks again!
Barb

Brad (who only wishes he could afford these tools)

Walt Caza
03-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi Barb,
I bought the same green planer as you are considering,
but with a Bryd Shelix carbide head and a Wixey digital height guage.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71399

As Peter says, there are 4 similar models made with the same castings,
the General Int, Powermatic, Jet and Steel City. They are quite similar,
but between the two you mention, the Gen has a 5"dia d/c port while the
Steel City has a 4". Also, the Gen is 63lbs heavier. I would consider
availability of parts and service. Both planers scored well in a recent
WW Journal comparison, with snipe tested off the pallet at about .001"
(1 thou) negligible. I mention some features in my linked post...

I went with the 52" SawStop fence, and am completely happy with it.
I used a Delta Unifence for more than a dozen yrs, but do like SS's
more robust Beismeyer knock-off.

Like you, I live in Ontario Canada. At the time I purchased my SS,
Normand in Missisauga was the only authorized SS dealer in Eastern
Canada, with House of Tools holding down the West.
Since then, fellow Creeker and great guy David Eisan now carries SS
at Federated Tool in London, ON. I assure you Barb, just say the word
and he will drop one in your lap!
Delivery is normal, set-up however...not sooo much...
Good luck with your shopping,
Walt

ps In serious Canadian workshops, Gen green has set the bar for decades
:)

Don Bullock
03-18-2008, 10:53 PM
The planer question is one I'll have to pass on as well.

I bought an Incra fence for my SS, but I plan to add a router table to the right side in the future so that was my reasoning. It's a great fence that meets my needs very well. The SS fence looks like a very good one and I would have been happy with one.

It sounds like Walt may have a good source for the SS for you. I was able to get my dealer to set the saw up for me, check out all the tolerances, set it on a mobile base that I purchased from him, install a pigtail that I provided and deliver it to my garage (lowered it to the entrance of my garage/shop and rolled it to the position I wanted it in). The only extra fee was $50 toward the delivery which according to the invoice that I signed when it was delivered didn't come close to the actual cost. It doesn't hurt to ask especially now that you have more than one dealer to pick from. At the time I bought mine another dealer (well known chain of WWing stores with wood as part of the name) offered to help place the SS on a truck if I rented one. That was it. To me that's pretty bad for such an expensive piece of equipment.

J. Z. Guest
03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Barb, one thing to look for or ask about is the safety certification.

I'm 95% sure the General is going to be CSA, or C-UL. Not so sure about the Steel City, which may only be ETL Listed. (they're 3rd rate in my opinion)

FWIW - I work for UL during my day job. Safety certification is not necessarily correlated with quality, but it often turns out that way.

Barb Mrazek
03-19-2008, 7:28 AM
I'm so glad I found this forum :-) Thanks again for everyone's advice, all kinds of things I wouldn't have thought of!

How important is the difference in the size of the dust collector port? Dust collecton is next on my list to research while I'm waiting for my equipment to arrive, if I ever actually make a final decision and order it :-) But right now it's all greek to me .

Dave from Federated Tool, you out there? :-) That's a great tip, I wouldn't have thought of going as far as London to purchase, have just been talking to Normand, would love to have a second option!

Thanks as always

Barb

Barb Mrazek
03-19-2008, 7:38 AM
Thanks for that link Walt, those pictures give a new life to the Gen Green! Love the chips flying :-) Generals upgrade to the Shelix is almost a thousand dollars. Is the one you bought any cheaper?

Rod Sheridan
03-19-2008, 8:05 AM
Hi Barb, i sent you a PM regarding a planer, however I haven't heard back from you, hopefully you've been busy in the shop.

If I had a choice between a 5 inch, and a 4 inch dust port, I'd go with 5. That said, the planer I sent you a PM about has a 4 inch port and it has worked great...Rod.

Peter Quinn
03-19-2008, 9:07 AM
My old delta 15" has a 5" port and on a full width cut in something like maple it is capable of using every inch of that opening. It seems the exra CFM's provided by the bigger opening (assuming your DC can pull it) keeps chips from dropping back onto the wood better and the hose from clogging. I tried to run it on a smooth 5"X4" reducer and a 4" hose but the performance was not good.

I think a spiral head produces chips that are easier for the DC to handle and thus a 5" may not be neccessary with one of those. I'm guessing these companies have tested their dust hoods and designed them to work on a 4" opening but don't really know. I do know that my machine needs 5" to work right.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2008, 10:22 AM
I'd get the General. It's a known entity and is well made.