PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a great table saw extension for my router

Tim Morton
03-20-2004, 9:09 PM
First let me say i am new to thus forum and that it was recommended to me by one of your finest, John K. Miliunas. I have spent alot of time browsing and am finally able to post. It seems to be a great place to come to relax and learn, and maybe give some back if I can. Anyway, I decided today to shred my router table(great use of a sledge hammer if you ask me) project in favor of using that space for a jointer, which I am shopping for. I want to instead tack my router onto my Delta contractor saw and am looking for ideas..DIY or store bought are being considered. I would like it to be a combination DIY extension wing with a store bought fence system.

Waymon Campbell
03-20-2004, 9:15 PM
Tim - Welcome to the 'Creek. Anyone from the great state of Vermont is always welcome. Now, as for John being one of our finest............................................ ......................................your absolutely right.

Jim DeLaney
03-20-2004, 9:51 PM
My current one is mounted on the right side of my cabinet saw. It's three layers of ½" plywood laminated together with formica on all sides, and an 11" square reouter insert of 3/8" black phenolic. Works great.

If I were going commercial, it would be the Woodhaven tablesaw table - they come in 27 X 24, 30, & 36" widths, with or without a miter gauge slot. A bit pricey at around $150 for the smallest one, but they do look like a good value.

Tim Morton
03-20-2004, 9:56 PM
Jim:
with your DIY table...I am looking for a way to mount it to the existing fence.Did you use angle iron? What kind of fence are you using?

Waymon: thanks for the welcome...Vermont is a great state, as is texas..I think we both enjoy some of the nicest people in both our states...but this time of year i think I would trade with you for some warm weather!!

Dale Thompson
03-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Tim,
You must be rich from the bribe that "Spring" gave you to say that. Admittedly, he is our "best" cheesehead but remember that there are 49 other states. ;) Most of them work on developing their brain cells. In Wisconsin, we work hard on DESTROYING them!! :o I'm NOT saying that "Spring" is among that group. :cool:

Anyway, I'm not sure if this applies to your situation but on my PM66, I finally got up the guts to cut into the table to mount my router. My local "toy store" had a thick phenolic mounting plate for my specific router. I reinforced the table with a couple of 1" by 1" aluminum angle irons, routed the shape and thickness of the mounting plate into the table, made a homemade adjusting handle and hoped for the best. I also made an auxiliary router fence which is a modified version of the one detailed in the February 2002 edition of American Woodworker Magazine.

This seems to give me all of the flexibility that I need for a small home shop. I hope that this helps. My biggest problem was getting the "guts" to make the first cut in the table. It's been worth it!! :)

NOW!! Let's be honest about the bushels of money that "Spring" gave you for the accolades accorded to him by you. Incidentally, if you want a "true" picture of "Spring" (aka John K. Miliunas), check your local Post Office! :D :cool: :)

Dale T. :)

Tim Morton
03-20-2004, 10:47 PM
LOL....YUP, as soon as John's check clears its "Jointer" time for me!!! And Dale..sorry abou the Packers loss this year..My Pats had a better result:) i was rooting for Brett and the Packers to make it in with the Pats though!!

Jerry Krakauer
03-20-2004, 11:06 PM
First let me say i am new to thus forum and that it was recommended to me by one of your finest, John K. Miliunas. I have spent alot of time browsing and am finally able to post. It seems to be a great place to come to relax and learn, and maybe give some back if I can. Anyway, I decided today to shred my router table(great use of a sledge hammer if you ask me) project in favor of using that space for a jointer, which I am shopping for. I want to instead tack my router onto my Delta contractor saw and am looking for ideas..DIY or store bought are being considered. I would like it to be a combination DIY extension wing with a store bought fence system.

Do look at my web site and look at the table saw section.
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~krakauer/id2.html
see the wing that i bought at wood working show also not shown is the new wing for HF same as what you see but now I have dual routers on both ends of the saw. -Jerry

Dale Thompson
03-20-2004, 11:26 PM
LOL....YUP, as soon as John's check clears its "Jointer" time for me!!! And Dale..sorry abou the Packers loss this year..My Pats had a better result:) i was rooting for Brett and the Packers to make it in with the Pats though!!

Tim,
I was sorry too. Congratulations on your very fine victory!! By the way, there is a rumor going around that "Spring" is a Bear fan. THAT bribe probably makes yours look like "chump change". That's probably why he can live in a part of the the state that is rich enough to buy milk for their babies without using food stamps. Admittedly, my babies are starving but I WILL NOT swear allegiance to the Vikings just to get a check from the State of Minnesota - especially since Jesse quit as Governor. :mad: :( ;) :D

Dale T.

John Miliunas
03-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Tim,
I was sorry too. Congratulations on your very fine victory!! By the way, there is a rumor going around that "Spring" is a Bear fan. THAT bribe probably makes yours look like "chump change". That's probably why he can live in a part of the the state that is rich enough to buy milk for their babies without using food stamps. Admittedly, my babies are starving but I WILL NOT swear allegiance to the Vikings just to get a check from the State of Minnesota - especially since Jesse quit as Governor.

Dale T.

Sheeeeeesh....A guy takes a couple hours break to spend some time with his daughter and his name turns to "Mud" in no time flat! :mad: First of all, that check I sent along to Tim is gonna' bounce higher than any of the balls you're seeing at the NCAA playoffs! :D I'm NOT a Bears fan, although I admit the area we live in is indeed Bear Valley. My buddy Tyler will GET you for the crack about Minnesota. :D And last, but certainly NOT least, they didn't even get my good side for those pictures at the post office! :mad: (I offered to send them a good one, but they started in about something to do with "regulations" and such.) Oh, and "Mr. ~50 miles N of Green Bay", that would be "MR. Mud" to you! :D

Oh, and Tim, welcome aboard! Sorry 'bout the check, but I was almost out of beer and well...You know...Priorities and all that. :rolleyes: Sorry I can't help you much on the router extension table thingy. I used to have a left-side extension, which was a cast iron unit from, of all places, Harbor Freight and it had a router cutout for it with universal mounting brackets underneath. Not the most elegant solution, but it worked. Since I was able to peddle all my old food stamps and get into a larger shop, I made a temporary router table out of an old assembly table and rigged it up with dust collection and all that jazz. :D FWIW, I'm using a PlungeLift from Woodpecker and it works great. A real good value, IMHO if one you're considering a lift-type insert.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I need to contact a few "friends" back in the old hood to see if they make house calls Up North! :D :cool:

Tim Morton
03-21-2004, 6:36 AM
Now you know why your ears where ringing huh John? And you told me you walked on water around here....I now know the truth!! :cool:

As for the check...Tanks fer Nuttin!!!!

John Miliunas
03-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Now you know why your ears where ringing huh John? And you told me you walked on water around here....I now know the truth!! :cool:

Oh jeeeeeez! That's what it was! Thank goodness. I thought it may have been my poor old TV, circa 1960's, tube-type Zenith, giving up the ghost! Whew. Shore can't afford to replace IT and I'm all out of food stamps! :cool:

Tim Morton
03-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Oh jeeeeeez! That's what it was! Thank goodness. I thought it may have been my poor old TV, circa 1960's, tube-type Zenith, giving up the ghost! Whew. Shore can't afford to replace IT and I'm all out of food stamps! :cool:

You may have to sell that cache of tools and grab one of those 50" plasma screens from Best buy!!! Only 6 grand....not sure if they take food stamps though.... :D

John Miliunas
03-21-2004, 11:46 AM
You may have to sell that cache of tools and grab one of those 50" plasma screens from Best buy!!! Only 6 grand....not sure if they take food stamps though.... :D

Nah...I don't think so. My tools are here to stay and if I get really hard up to watch something spectacular like that, I'll pack up the family and take a road trip to Peshtigo. Word has it that when the Pack went down in the Playoffs this last season, Dale sold his next 3 years of Packers Season Passes and put on an addition for watching the games from the comfort of his home. Full surround, a 60" flat panel, couple more 42" units to watch other games at the same time, loaded bar, pool table, Jacuzzi...The works! :D Guess he takes food stamps, too! :cool:

Bruce Page
03-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Tim, welcome to SMC. As Jim D said, if you are considering aftermarket tables, take a good look at the Woodhaven, http://www.woodhaven.com (http://www.woodhaven.com/). I have their table & deluxe RT fence and both are top quality. My only regret is that I did not order the table with a miter gage slot. :mad::mad::mad:

Jim DeLaney
03-21-2004, 1:29 PM
Jim:
with your DIY table...I am looking for a way to mount it to the existing fence.Did you use angle iron? What kind of fence are you using?

Not sure what you mean by mounting it to the fence... My table mounts to the tablesaw wing on the left, and to the existing saw fence rails (Biesemeyer clone) at the front & rear.

For the Router table fence, I built a fence that attaches to the right side of the TS fence. It's basically a 6" X 6" box that is as long as the TS fence - about 30". I drilled and tapped the Biesemeyer (clone) fence face, and attach the router fence using 5/16"-18 bolts. The reason it's 6" X 6" is that I have a 4" dust collection duct in it. It removes about 95% of the chips from any above-the-table work. Still working on an effective system for under the table DC.

Tim Morton
03-21-2004, 2:45 PM
[QUOTE=Jim DeLaney]Not sure what you mean by mounting it to the fence... My table mounts to the tablesaw wing on the left, and to the existing saw fence rails (Biesemeyer clone) at the front & rear.

FSorry Jim, i might have meant to say.."mount it to the rails" I was looking for the best way to physically connect the router table to the table saw. I'm guessing angled brackets and careful measuring.

Dean Baumgartner
03-21-2004, 6:26 PM
[QUOTE=Jim DeLaney]Not sure what you mean by mounting it to the fence... My table mounts to the tablesaw wing on the left, and to the existing saw fence rails (Biesemeyer clone) at the front & rear.

FSorry Jim, i might have meant to say.."mount it to the rails" I was looking for the best way to physically connect the router table to the table saw. I'm guessing angled brackets and careful measuring.

Tim, Here's a picture of how I mounted mine. The rails for my Vega fence had mounting brackets for attaching a table bolted to the bottom of the brackets. Mounted the table with the router insert to these and put down to the floor. For height adjustment I used carrige bolts upside down with a nut on both sides of the rail near the floor. Adjust the bolts to level in both directions. Now I have to replace the whole thing because it doesn't fit with the new saw.

Tim Morton
03-21-2004, 6:56 PM
Looks nice Dean...I cut my table and insert out tonight. I have the same saw as you, but have not upgraded the fence. I am still mulling over the best way to mount it.

Jim DeLaney
03-21-2004, 7:28 PM
Sorry Jim, i might have meant to say.."mount it to the rails" I was looking for the best way to physically connect the router table to the table saw. I'm guessing angled brackets and careful measuring.

No brackets. I carefully clamped the router table in place, then drilled thru the front/rear fence rails and used lag screws to afix it. At the left, there were already three (factory) holes in the TS table, so all I had to do was drill the pilot holes in the router table edge and install the lag screws.

Tim Morton
03-21-2004, 8:53 PM
Dean...sorry i missed the part about the new saw. And being very new here I also missed the name being the same Dean as in the new bridgewood saw. You must be pretty pumped with it. Its looks to be a great purchase. I don't do enough to justify anything more than my CS...but i can sure drool over all you guys getting new cabinet saws. Congrats!!!!! Hope you find a good home for the old Delta...looks like it has alot of good work left in her.

Dale Thompson
03-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Now, if you'll excuse me. I need to contact a few "friends" back in the old hood to see if they make house calls Up North! :D :cool:[/QUOTE]

Hey Spring,

You have FRIENDS!?? :D That's even funnier than the "one of our best" comment. ;) Remember, my friend, when you have a back-side to cover, you can't leave it uncovered - even for a couple of hours. OK - You're forgiven - daughters are the greatest people in the world - especially when they are willing to spend some 'quality" time with their dad.

Tim,
This is what I did to MY table. Sorry about the mess in the shop. It is usually immaculate but I laughed so hard at "friends" and "One of our best" that I knocked down all the chips and sawdust from the ceiling and pipes. I'll have to borrow three of four of Spring's domestic staff to help clean it up. :o

Dale T.

Dean Baumgartner
03-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Dean...sorry i missed the part about the new saw. And being very new here I also missed the name being the same Dean as in the new bridgewood saw. You must be pretty pumped with it. Its looks to be a great purchase. I don't do enough to justify anything more than my CS...but i can sure drool over all you guys getting new cabinet saws. Congrats!!!!! Hope you find a good home for the old Delta...looks like it has alot of good work left in her.

Yeah, I think I'm really going to like the new saw. The old one was ok for a lot of years but since uncle was generous this year and I'll be building a new set of kitchen cabinets plus the rest of LOML's list I thought it was time.

If you're looking for a new fence I would highly reccomend the Vega with 50" rails. Made mounting the extension table a piece of cake.

For the new table I have to build I just ordered the PlungeLift from Woodpeckers. They have them on sale at $119 from the regular of $189 plus an additional $10 off if you are on their e-mail list.

Good luck with your new router insert.

Dean

John Miliunas
03-21-2004, 10:47 PM
[/QUOTE]
Hey Spring,

You have FRIENDS!?? :D That's even funnier than the "one of our best" comment. ;) Remember, my friend, when you have a back-side to cover, you can't leave it uncovered - even for a couple of hours. OK - You're forgiven - daughters are the greatest people in the world - especially when they are willing to spend some 'quality" time with their dad.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Tim, didn't mean to hijack your thread there, buddy! Looks as though the more knowledgeable folks on this topic have responded and are leading you in the right direction. (I expected as much!)

As for you, Dale, while you were laughing the dust and debrit off from your rafters, here's what I was busy doing! And, she not only cut a piece or two, but measured up the entire last two rows of slats, cut all of them, positioned and nailed them home! Gotta' love it. I'm one proud daddy right about now! :D

Rob Russell
03-22-2004, 8:41 AM
As for you, Dale, while you were laughing the dust and debrit off from your rafters, here's what I was busy doing! And, she not only cut a piece or two, but measured up the entire last two rows of slats, cut all of them, positioned and nailed them home! Gotta' love it. I'm one proud daddy right about now!

John,

It's great that your daughter is taking an interest in working with her hands!

Question - where are her safety glasses with that pneumatic nailer? :confused:

Rob

John Miliunas
03-22-2004, 9:02 AM
Question - where are her safety glasses with that pneumatic nailer? :confused:

Rob

Ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a WINNER! I was wondering who'd catch that first! The rest of the pics were real "live" captures, as was another one with full safety glasses (wraparound). When I showed Casey the pics, it was, "But Daddy, you can't see me at ALL with the nail gun!" (Hey, she's 13. Whadya' expect? :rolleyes: So, we staged a couple shots for the sake of the camera. She *really* does know enough about the safety end of from both, my shop and her Tech Ed in school. If she walks into my shop while *any* machine is running, she puts on the spare set I have right by the entry door! (Doesn't complain about it, either!) :cool:

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a WINNER! I was wondering who'd catch that first! The rest of the pics were real "live" captures, as was another one with full safety glasses (wraparound). When I showed Casey the pics, it was, "But Daddy, you can't see me at ALL with the nail gun!" (Hey, she's 13. Whadya' expect? :rolleyes: So, we staged a couple shots for the sake of the camera. She *really* does know enough about the safety end of from both, my shop and her Tech Ed in school. If she walks into my shop while *any* machine is running, she puts on the spare set I have right by the entry door! (Doesn't complain about it, either!) :cool:

Fowl! Not even fake pix with the precious and lovely.I can see she got all your good looks too. Her mom’s still got hers.:p:p

Dale Thompson
03-22-2004, 10:15 PM

John,
I take back ALL the bad stuff I've ever said about you. I don't blame you for being "one proud daddy". She is one sweet young lady!! :) I REALLY am impressed by her CONCENTRATION. That gal is SERIOUS about her projects. You better take some lessons from HER!! (AW - there I go again - sorry.).

Your picture story reminds me of when MY daughter was about her age. She was taking a shop class and they had used the grinder. My lawn mower blades needed sharpening so I gave them to her. "Dad, why do you want ME to sharpen the blades?" I explained to her that grinders are dangerous. I asked, "Do you want me to have an accident and lose my eyesight?" "NO!" she said and proceeded to sharpen the blades - better than I could have done. I was a GREAT dad!! :o :eek: ;)

Dale T.