PDA

View Full Version : The recycler....

Kelly C. Hanna
03-18-2008, 5:45 PM
I get to remove old decks about 4-5 times a year. I also get to tear down old fences. I have been recycling both for quite awhile in various ways. For instance, I built 320' of fence at my place using old panels and new posts/cement. I also added over 600 sq.ft. of decking so far and plan another 900 or so in the future...all using used deck boards and new posts.

After figuring it out one day I realized I had added all the above to our house for only $650. I am about to recycle an old T&G carport into a garage at my house. The top was shingled and underneath was T&G 2x6 sheathing over the rafters. This one will go up [without walls yet] for the cost of 9 posts and 9 bags of crete. One wall will be the new wall for my shop addition.

But I have gone even farther. The last time I had a wood run, I decided to try and give away the extra wood on Craigslist. I put in an ad that said I had a ton of short boards. The lady who answered the ad runs a wildlife refuge in our town so I told her I would hold the lot for her.

Before she and her husband left we decided that all my haul offs that were good would go to the refuge. I just got back from running a few 2x8's and 2x4's out there. Next week I have 200' of fence to donate and another 260' later in the month.

The refuge is very cool. They have bobcats, ducks, goats, pygmy goats, roosters, peacocks, raccoons, snakes, etc. I pet one of the bobcats the other day...never thought I'd do that!!

So that's my story for a rainy day. Feels good to be able to help someone else realize their dream with wood no one else wants! Anyone else have a good recycler story?

Randal Stevenson
03-18-2008, 7:09 PM
We have a Habitat ReStore here. Several people I know have both donated, and bought from them. Everything from Used butcherblock counters, sinks, old (no longer made) trim, to even a Blodgett Pizza oven, of all things.

One friend of mine (he isn't the only one, just the main one), talks about how much we waste, and says we need a good depression, to make us rethink things.

Ben Grunow
03-18-2008, 7:59 PM
Put entire kitchen with appliances, all wood doors/brass hardware, entry door with right color paint already on it and key in the lock, countless light fixtures in my house all from 2 homes we tore down about 2 years after they were remodeled..

We have not paid for coffee in about 2 years as copper is at an alltime high and every job starts with demo yielding around $1500.

My uncle lives in La Jolla Ca and he has a company that removes all the floors and moldings, plumbing fixtures etc and sells them either locally or in Mexico. No market around where I live I guess but seems like a good idea.

Lee Koepke
03-18-2008, 8:14 PM
Hey Kelly .... I did some 'volunteer' work at one of those wildlife refuges in Gainesville, FL quite a few years ago.

Their facility had some repair needs, and had a good friend that went to UF and volunteered there at times. A friend and I went up there one weekend and repaired some roof leaks, a few broken windows and other misc things.

My payment, I got to feed the monkeys ... watch the tigers get fed, and meet some wonderful people doing good things for animals.

Matt Meiser
03-18-2008, 11:01 PM
The Restore is really cool. We've donated a lot of stuff, but I've left with some too. My latest find was some 36" 1-1/4 square metal railing posts, which are just square tubing with a couple holes drilled in them. $2 each which was a steal. They've got lots of finishing products--none I'd use on a good project, but for paint to seal logs, something to seal a floor, etc it would be a steal. Lots of windows and doors too. Probably some good solid core doors that would make great assembly tables. Plus, whatever you buy turns into cash for Habitat.

Gary Herrmann
03-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Good for you, Kelly. Salvaging old boards and getting to help a wildlife refuge.

I did get to help a friend years ago rescue baby sea turtles. Their shells were bent the shape of the eggs and they couldn't get to the water on their own. We gathered them up and she released them when they straightened out. I always envied her for the job she had.

A friend locally is active in Habitat for Humanity. I need to find out when he has his next blitz.

Greg Cole
03-19-2008, 8:59 AM
Cool deal Kelly..... thinking the refuge will always enjoy seeing you coming.
600 sf deck and adding 900 more... holy huge deck batman!

Greg

J. Z. Guest
03-19-2008, 9:53 AM
Way to pay it forward Kelly!